Nurse 457 or 190 visa ??

cherries002

I have a real quandry. I qualify in Sept as an adult nurse and intend on gettingg a minimum of 1 years experience before I try and gain employment in Adelaide. I will be 44 next year and due to the points system Im worried I wont achieve the 60 points needed even if I get the highest marks in the IELTS test. I will have a degree so thats a +

I also have 2 daughters who are both in education with the eldest being 18 which also poses more problems as shes close to not being classed as a dependent :mad:

I know the permanent visa is the most preferable of the 2 but can any one offer any positives about the 457, I feel this is going to be our only opportunity as a family to get us out there. Its taken me 5 years of retraining to get to this stage so you have some undestanding of how much we want this. I have researched so much and all we want to do now is get out there......

thanks, and hope some of you can offer me some encouraging stories, I really feel I need them right now :biggrin:

I can't give you advice on the visa but I know the results from ielts last at least 2years. If I was you I would do the IELTS sooner rather than waiting. Then you have time to re sit if needed. I turn 43 this year and have started the visa process on a 190. I had to resist the IELTS because of half a point. If you book now you would be lucky to get a test before 8 weeks. And then there is 2 weeks waiting for results. Then if you need to re sit its another 8 weeks or so waiting for your next test. It's quite time consuming. If you want to go on a permanent visa you have to sit the academic test. I did this and achieved 7 or above in everything which was enough for my skills assessment. But it wasn't enough for the 20 points I needed. You have to get 8 or above in everything. For points only I was allowed to do the general test which is a bit easier. Just a thought. Waiting for my test and results has held up my assessment and in hindsight I would have done it a lot earlier if I'd known how long it takes to wait for a test.

Hope this helps.

Debs

In your situation there is no positives to the 457 visa, especially considering your childrens ages, and once you reach 45 the only option for you to get PR would be employer sponsorship. 457 is not a good visa with older children as visa is often only valid until they reach 21 if they are no longer dependent, plus if they want to study in Australia you will have international fees to pay.

IELTS is valid for 3 years for the visa process, and can go for the general test, but will need to get Academic for ANMAC.

Currently if the points remain the same you will likely need to go down the 489 provisional route to have the 60 points to be able to apply. But after 2 years living and 1 year working in Regional Australia you will be able to apply for PR.

Archived