Student Counsellors or Welfare Workers, anyone?

ozpursuit

Hi All,

I'm new in the forum and in the migration process. I've engaged an agent to help me through the process and I can also see that this site is so rich with great advice. I'm just wondering if there's anyone applying for 190 as student counsellor or welfare worker? Pls share your experiences or if you're also still waiting, let's share the moment together :smile:

Thanks.

MJ

IELTS: 21/06/2013 L8.5, R8.5, W7.5, S8.5 VETASSESS Lodged 12/06/2013

I would think that student counsellor (except perhaps in SA) requires psych registration or teacher registration in whichever state.

In most states school counsellors are registered psychs because the role also involves psychometric assessments.

I would think that student counsellor (except perhaps in SA) requires psych registration or teacher registration in whichever state.

In most states school counsellors are registered psychs because the role also involves psychometric assessments.

hmm that's interesting. counsellors can do psychometric assessments too (levels A & B, level C is reserved for Clinical Psychologists I believe) just not the complicated ones like Rorschach or thematic apperception test. the roles are different too. it seems that there's not much coming in as a school counsellor.

hmm that's interesting. counsellors can do psychometric assessments too (levels A & B, level C is reserved for Clinical Psychologists I believe) just not the complicated ones like Rorschach or thematic apperception test. the roles are different too. it seems that there's not much coming in as a school counsellor.

They can't do the restricted assessments - mainly WISC, WPPSI, Binet etc which are often required for special ed funding, accelerated placements etc. (its a long time since a school counsellor did a Rorschach) In many states the school counsellor role is quite generic and covers the range of psychometric assessments, behaviour management, personal problems, parenting problems, disaster recovery (I could go on!) but in other states (and SA has always been different and possibly WA) it is purely student welfare work. Some states also now have youth workers in high school where the focus is on low level support. It used to be that school counsellors were psychs and teachers but they found it hard to recruit and tended to go with the psychs and dropped the experienced teacher requirement.

They can't do the restricted assessments - mainly WISC, WPPSI, Binet etc which are often required for special ed funding, accelerated placements etc. (its a long time since a school counsellor did a Rorschach) In many states the school counsellor role is quite generic and covers the range of psychometric assessments, behaviour management, personal problems, parenting problems, disaster recovery (I could go on!) but in other states (and SA has always been different and possibly WA) it is purely student welfare work. Some states also now have youth workers in high school where the focus is on low level support. It used to be that school counsellors were psychs and teachers but they found it hard to recruit and tended to go with the psychs and dropped the experienced teacher requirement.

that gives me a perspective on the employment prospects in the future, thanks Quoll. i did BA psych for my undergrad but i know i don't stand a chance if i'll be assessed by APS so i'm coming in as student counsellor or perhaps a welfare worker (haven't lodged a qualification assessment to ACWA). my work experiences too has always been in schools as counsellor.

any school counsellors out there? represent and share your story.

Archived