Private Healthcare Insurance

PollyGirl

I am here on a Spouse 309 visa and have medicare, but have been told I have till the end of July to obtain Private Healthcare Insurance or I will be taxed higher? The policies I have seen are so expensive are they worth it. I have paid privately since I have been here and was not impressed. The medicare service in the public hospital was great. Any ideas??? Paying out $300 + a month for something that has more exclusions than services.. seems a waste of money! :err:

We have just signed up for Private medical insurance due to having to pay high tax otherwise and lifetime loading. If we have to pay out we might as well befit and pay it for ourselves with the insurance. It gave us a massive headache just thinking about it all. I probably wouldn't have bothered if OH didn't earn over the threshold. It defiantly the worst thing about emigrating...oh how I miss the good ol NHs.... Still not 100% about it all but we have it now and think because we're over 30 and have signed up before our first full year here, this getting in before the lifetime loading which can add 20- 40% to your premium otherwise.

Good luck with the headache :goofy:

I have private healthcare and my Doctor sent me for an MRI. I was amazed that neither Medicare, nor my insurance paid a cent towards the $328 fee. When I thought I'd broken a toe, the x-ray was going to cost $200 - and you guessed it - I was going to have to pay. I decided to wait and see.

By the time you need to use it if you are young and healthy you will have paid the 40% in costs of the insurance.

Now its so great having health insurance, my oh is in hospital as a private patient, he has to go to rehab as he cannot walk, rehab do not want him because he is a private patient, private rehab do not have the equipment and expertise for his case. So what is he doing sitting in a private hospital bed while they discuss who should care for him. Each pushing and shoving from one end to the other. That is the way the silly system works in Aus.

Private health is fine for the odd elective surgery but not that good when people are really ill.

We did not take it out until I needed to use it never thinking my oh would need to use it and if I had known he would have gone straight into the public hospital.

Archived