working.......489 visa

Agibb83

Hi all, first things first we recieved out visa last friday (7th june) and to say we are over the moon is an understatement what fantastic news this was, we were going to be heading over after the 17th may next year as that is when my wifes sister gets married here back in scotland, however our entry date for oz is the 15th may, so we are going to head over to oz sometime in august, however i currently have 6 months to run on my current contract offshore here in the uk which is a good number job & money wise, so my question is can i come across to oz to validate my visa in august with my family, then return after a 6 week holiday and carry out my work in the uk untill my current contract is up? roughly around december? as i am an offshore worker i would be commuting to the uk/oz ever 4 weeks i know this is a bit of a hike however i dont want to give this job up , but is this possible on the 489 visa? i know you have to work regional for at least 1 year out the 4 and live regional for 2 out the 4 before we can apply for pr,. i cant think of any problems can any one advise me on this? thanks in advance

Hi all, first things first we recieved out visa last friday (7th june) and to say we are over the moon is an understatement what fantastic news this was, we were going to be heading over after the 17th may next year as that is when my wifes sister gets married here back in scotland, however our entry date for oz is the 15th may, so we are going to head over to oz sometime in august, however i currently have 6 months to run on my current contract offshore here in the uk which is a good number job & money wise, so my question is can i come across to oz to validate my visa in august with my family, then return after a 6 week holiday and carry out my work in the uk untill my current contract is up? roughly around december? as i am an offshore worker i would be commuting to the uk/oz ever 4 weeks i know this is a bit of a hike however i dont want to give this job up , but is this possible on the 489 visa? i know you have to work regional for at least 1 year out the 4 and live regional for 2 out the 4 before we can apply for pr,. i cant think of any problems can any one advise me on this? thanks in advance

Your visa conditions don't stop you from coming and going as you please. Just so long as when you are in Australia on this visa you must live regionally and of course at some point you need to start working regionally too in order to progress to PR. I believe the clock starts ticking once you validate.

Your visa conditions don't stop you from coming and going as you please. Just so long as when you are in Australia on this visa you must live regionally and of course at some point you need to start working regionally too in order to progress to PR. I believe the clock starts ticking once you validate.

Hi Rupert, yep looking for work in my nominated trade is a definite priorityand i will continue to do this on my leave each month from my employment here in the uk, the clock has already started ticking as i also have an exit date so to speak on my grant letter, but i have no intention on leaving so getting work and set up home is a must, i know it will be fairly difficult to begin with but i dont want to give up my job and come over with no source of income however if i find the correct job then we will reasses the situation, at least during my time off i can source new work / long term rentals etc plus i am getting a wage . really looking forward to this adventure the last 15 months of a process has felt like a 5 year sentence.....

You need to meet the requirements for 887 which is living for 2 years and working f/t for one of these 2 years, it's not the 4 years of the visa.

You don't need to work in the nominated trade it can be any work as long as its full time. Also either you or the secondary applicant can meet the condition of working full-time for 1 year.

Archived