Is the grass greener??

Guest bikergirl

We live in Brisbane and my 3 yr old goes to daycare twice a week - I have found that there are a lot of good daycare centres but they are all pretty well booked up and have long waiting lists. I think its like anywhere really there are good and bad - perhaps nearer the time you can reasearch a few in your area. As regards the dogs - we have a labrador that we took with us from UK to NZ 6 years ago and we really struggled to find rental accommodation that would take the dog - we assumed it would be the same when we came to Oz 6 months ago - but no - we have found Oz to be much more dog friendly and have had no problem at all finding a place to take him. I guess it depends where you're going to be moving to but I'd say you'd be OK

Jackie :lol:

Hi Sam and Jackie

I'm looking to move to either Northern Rivers NSW or Maryborough Queensland, (have friends in Maryborough) but wanting to be a little bit out of the way so I can have land for the boy and the dogs! Just a bit concerned about not being able to start work straight away if I cannot get a child care place for Seth straight away. Feel a little unsure about arranging a place without checking it out first but cannot wait to inspect if they have long waiting lists! all this waiting and not being able to get on is the worst.

When I was in Aus last time shared a house where they let on of the guys have a dog and looking at the rental listings I know some allow pets but I have three big dogs so I hope they are dog lovers!!

Will keep researching!!

Have a good one

xx

hello

first post, so here goes.

i can sympathies with markblueyes, i know how you feel, we are currently experiencing the same probs with my wives family, the difference is they waited untill we had been living here in oz for 6 months before they started all the bitching and sniping, they are all involved, parents and brother and sister, moving to oz is not easy and the very least you would expect to have support from family members, i have been shocked and stunned by their reaction, just came from nowhere, started by my wives younger brother being rude and abusive to me and it has snowballed from there, and too think they were an extremely close knit family before we left, they have just not been able to handle that we wanted to move overseas and are looking to blame some one......thats where i come in.....

the funny thing about it is, we had not been having a good time up untill they started causing us problems and we had decided to return to the UK, but after this all kicked off, it just made us more determined to succeed, we have now been here a year, i have just got an excellent job and we are about to buy our first house......we couldnt be happier :lol:

Guest mandymoo

I'm new to this game, so bear with me!!! :roll:

We went to Brisbane for a month in Feb this year, and we thought that it was the best place ever. Diving on the Barrier Reef was an awsome experiance, and my 2 year old daughter loved it too. When we first came back my husband wanted to put in for a skills assessment straight away, but I wasn't so sure. Thinking more and more about our time in Oz, the climate and everything it has now made me change my mind, and we have decided to go for it. Skills assessment went off at the end of August, so waiting to see if they will give us the full allocation of points. Feel very scared and nervous, but will see what happens. Thankfully however, all our family are behind us, and most of our friends are too. That for me will be the biggest wrench, but like someone said, its only a 24 hour flight, and we now have got the beauty of e-mail!!! Reading all of your e-mails has made me feel loads better about it all, and has kind of reassured me. So guess we'll just wait and see!!

Hi all,

Just reading the views from everyone on moving to Oz, my wife and I & our 2 kids, son 18 daughter 14 are intending on settling in Melbourne at the end of Jan 2006, we have never been to the country and have no jobs but we are hopeful that we should be able to get some work not too long afterwe arrive...here's hoping. We are sometimes worried that we are doing the wrong thing as we do not have a bad life here in Northern Ireland but the bigotry of this country has made us look further afield as we would like our kids to live somewhere where they feel safer as well as have more opportunities in their working career's. Stress of completing the process has been unbelievable but we got there in the end and got the Visa's at the end of July. Like a lot of you have said follow your dreams because you only have 1 life. We have no-one to live with or no place to go initially but we are looking at backpacker's accomodation to start us off until we can get somewhere to rent, any idea's from any of you on this? We have been told there are quite a few event's on in Melbourne mid Jan so we thought it best to wait until the end of the month to arrive as it should be cheaper for accomodation. Does everyone think we are doing the right thing? Our families are Ok with everything but it will be up to us on the other side as we are on our own. We are just trying to follow our instincts and hope for the best.

All the best to you all in your quest for Visa's.

James,

We went travelling to Oz last year and spent a long time in Melbourne. It's a great place and lots to do, and January is a good time to be going weather wise. Good luck, I'm sure things will fall into place once you get there.

Hi JC,

Thanks for your response, as you say hopefully things will go ok for us when we get there, meantuime we are moving house at the end of Oct and going to rented accomodation, we are also packing for the container to take our goods to Oz, this in itself is stressful as we are still another 3 months away from actually getting on the plane, We will be informing our workplaces at the end of the month...our families have been ok about us going apart from the fact that neither of us will see our parents again as they are all elderly, this is a hard one for us but if we don't take the opportunity now, then we will be over the age limit to go with our kids, another reason is our son 18 and daughter 14 are both coming with us and we would hope that immigrating may keep us as a unit a lot closer than if we stayed in N.I. I hope your family gives you a bit of space on this and manages to see things from your perspective instead of how they are feeling about things, as someone once said 'if you love them let them go' you are only 24 hours away and there is only one life, somethings only come around once in a lifetime, it is up to us all to either to take the chance and freefall for a while or wonder what if for the rest of our lives. Good luck for your business Visa hope it goes well for you.

Guest evertonrule

You are not crazy at all, i have been here for 5 months and have not missed england for one bit (apart from the football) the weather here is beatutiful 99%of the time and its makes everyone around you so much happier where as i noticed in england people only tend to be happy when the sun shines which isnt much in watford i can tell you. Go for it thats my advice its worth the risk, there are so many more things to do here and you can plan your social scene a lot easier as its always good weather for outdoor activitys. You will meet people in the same situation as most people have some sort of british blood relative living here so people will help you out. I want to stay for life maybe you could sponsor me heheheheh, go for it

Kevin in brisbane (and yes brisbane is clean and beautiful and perfect to bring kids up, ps no pollution unlike the major cities in the uk)

Guest ironmaggi

Dear Kevin

How come Everton rule when you lived in Watford?? Still - you've given us hope...we're only down the road in Bushey/Stanmore but will be 12 hours down the road in Sydney end of the year!

• 2 months later...
Guest gingerandtwinkle

hi all

really good to read all your mesages - and in some sadistic way is good to knwo that everyone feels the same and is experiencing similar things.

We are waiting for polcie checks and hope to be going to Adelaide in March/April - can we withstand the guilt unitl then?

Finding it really hard - all the 'this will be the last xmas . . new year... oh we understand why you want to go but . . . won't you miss. . . '

but really if it seems selfish it is our life !!! and as someone said it is only a day awya on a plane

viva las adelaide !

twinkle

Hi Bikergirl,

The grass isn't greener but it is different and depending on what you want in life will offer you another direction and enrich you in different ways that staying in England wont.

We lived in Sydney for a couple of years about 10 years ago and have had constant dilemmas over whether to return. Currently debating this as my husband's skills group has had some extra points added so we should be eligible for migration.

Our children are older, they have been blessed with the love of family and friends and now we are looking beyond them leaving home and what England offers for us. I love England, the countryside, the quaint picturesque villages, etc, but it is going to the dogs!!

We found people over there to be so much more welcoming and friendly than here and because there are soooo many people like you, migrants, it is easier to make friends. the usual 5 years to make a decent friendship will happen in about 1!

It is a fantastic place for kids to grow up, the environment, lifestyle and bright blue skies.

The more planning, research and preparation you do will make it soo much easier than we went. The net was not around really then and because of the net it is easier to stay in touch with friends and family.

GO FOR IT! AND GOOD LUCK.

• 3 months later...
Guest paulwbafc

In process of applying and i would leave tommoro. made redundant for second time in a year and hate england with a passion that i drive a spade into the ground and mean it. The things i love about the uk i can get in oz thanks to internet and satelite tv. I love uk radio and the lot are online so thats sorted. My team wba have a website service to download highlights of games etc and sat tv has more prem games than we do so thats sorted. The rest i couldnt careless. Hardest bit is leaving folks at home but they retire in few years and will stay in oz as much as possible for long stays, which i worked out will mean instead of seeing them once a week or 52 days a year. It will be 2-3 months a year or 90 days (gulp). We move to other side of world and see folks twice as much. Have we colonised mars yet and if so can we hide there. Oz seems better and i know there will be things that get on my nerves like politicians and p c brigade. Reading about them up in arms about petrol up to 108 cents a litre. Like 55p is expensive for petrol. That will be great filling up at that price. Like 95p a litre here so almost half price in oz. And the houses in oz seem massive compared to what money can buy here. I will be selling up here and land in oz with a big wad of money and have mortgage half what i have here and a bigger property to boot with a big barbie and football pitch garden.

Hi many thanks to you all for all your advice. I'm bikergirl and had to register again because computer off, moving etc. All has been done since asking Is the grass greener?

We were granted our visas in November, sold our house 1 week later- only on the market 2 weeks, bought plane tickets for the 2nd of August with a Hong Kong stop over- hoping to organise a trip to the great wall of China. Done some car boot sales, sold the caravan and motorbike- 1 more to sell!!! Hubby not happy!!

not much else to get rid of.

Still feel very scared about the whole move, especially as we have never been, given up very good jobs here but have no jobsin OZ, no accomadation, no people that we know, would love to hear from the couples who have stayed in backpackers to begin with as that is what we are thinking of doing, have 2 children aged 6 and 8.

But very excited. I'm very much now in the frame we have to do this or we will regret it later on. This is for my kids to have a chance of a better life. Are we happy ? too right we are. We are on our way. See you there.

Guest patsy

Just logged on for first time. Husband just received skills acceptance, all feels real now, VERY SCARY. Same emotions leaving aging parents, taking grandchildren away, emotional roller coster. Nver been to Aus excited but scared. Great to hear we are not alone in all these feelings. Not told family yet or kids, 9 and 6. Will keep reading xx

hi patsy. Great news. where do you plan to travel out and which part would you stay?. We are looking towards Brisbane area. How do you think your children will react ours are ok most of the time but then my 6 year old will start to cry and tell me he will miss his friends.

My 8 year old is looking forward to it ( I hope !!!!)

It is very scary especially the nearer you get to the date. I have 11 weeks to we go and it seems only a few weeks ago that we had our visas granted.

If you want to chat feel free.

cheers

val

hi all

this topic is a very emotive, i think all of us become affected by the thoughts of others and all the negatives associated with what is viewed as family suicide!

we are in the same position. we are waiting for a decision from adelaide everything has been done just the stress of waiting now :? do family and friends know what that is like for prospective migrees!! not a chance.

my family think it is a wonderful opportunity, my wife's family however think its the end of the world. while we respect there views and understand that taking 3 grandchildren away from them will be tough on them, they have lost sight of the fact that this is our life and we so choose to take which ever path we follow.

i have been disowned since xmas when we first told them, my wife became ill for 2 months with the stress and anxiety and the last 3 months it has made me ill. what with applying, the most stressful job in the world, a house sale, the thought of leaving family and friends, will the kids cope with such a move :shock: :shock:

we have been reduced to feeling incompetent and have become doubtful in our own ability to make our own life decisions, WHAT A BUMMER!!!

GUESS WHAT------------- ITS NOT

we have taken the best that can be thrown at us and have become more confident than ever!! we returned from oz this last weekend after a 5 week holiday with the kidz-- totally amazing, it was our 3rd trip their and it just keeps getting better and better!! to all you folks in the same boat

WE'VE SEEN THE GRASS!!!!!

my inlaws said to me yesterday 'do you realise how traumatic it was not to have the grandchildren on holiday with us' to that i said 'it must have" but 'they had a fab time with there mum and dad' whats the moral here

life can be what ever you want it to be, with peaks and troughs. go with your dreams and live your life to the full, you've only got one!!!!

keep focused and take whatever is thrown at you on the chin. mine is bruised!! but we are almost their!!!

good luck to you all!!

mark

p.s. i wish adelaide would hurry up and throw my permanent visa at my chin!! :P 8)

Saw a good quote re this, the grass is greener but it still needs cutting !

Massive reality check at this stage isn't it, if possible ii'm still going despite sacrifices.......gotta be better than this garbage here.

Archived