What visa should I apply for please?

waterbaby76

Hi all,

I'm new here as I want to apply for my Oz visa and thought as the immigration authorities couldn't help me maybe you guys could :wink:

Before July 2012 I had points for entry but it has changed now. I have two kids with NZ passports who both live in the UK with me. I understand they have automatic entry into Oz if that's correct? It's been suggested that I go over and they technically have to sponsor me but I was unsure of the effect that would have on my ability to work and if this type of option is recommended or should I go on a study visa (I'm first year into a degree).

I'm planning on Brisbane too if that makes any difference? Any leads would be appreciated thanks!

I am not aware of any visa that a NZ citizen child can sponsor a parent for.

You have indicated you thought about skilled migration, can you elaborate on that, occupation, what points you have etc?

Thank you for your reply, I was unsure too but my ex-hubby living in NZ seems to think that is the case so I wanted to see if anyone else has knowledge of this?

I've been an accounting technician for 10 years working in practice and industry. I'm now studying for a degree which might give me more points :-/

Thank you for your reply, I was unsure too but my ex-hubby living in NZ seems to think that is the case so I wanted to see if anyone else has knowledge of this?

I've been an accounting technician for 10 years working in practice and industry. I'm now studying for a degree which might give me more points :-/

Thre is a visa a NZ citizen can sponsor a partner for but I really don't think there is one for a parent.

What occupation were you thinking of applying under for skilled migration because it is not just about points, it is about occupation and skills assessment and you would not pass accountancy skills assessment as an accounting technician. Was there something else you were thinking of?

A consultation with an agent might be useful for you to ensure everything is considered, but unfortunately my feeling is there is no pathway for you at the moment.

Thank you Rupert, this is where asking others is handy as I didn't know there would be an assessment, I have taken a qualification through a financial body recognised in OZ although it was a long time ago I could probably do that. Problem with that ;-) I was actually wanting to side-step that career and expand on one section of finance that can be used in other areas.

If I went under the skillled migrant I was under the opinion (but hopefully wrong) that I had to stay in that profession at least until my PR was granted, does that sound right to you?

Thank you for your answers on this, I feel I'm getting somewhere.

Not NZ children though, they would have to be Australian children I think?

Thank you both for your comments on this, this is where it became complicated, as NZ citizens (which the children aged 8, 6) have automatic right to Oz. I'm not sure on the eligibility of that visa lebourvellec, you mentioned RMA, I'm really new to all this sorry - where could I find details for them?

I did email immigration and they said they couldn't offer advice so maybe if I asked them specific questions they would be able to say yay /ney.

Thank you.

Thank you both for your comments on this, this is where it became complicated, as NZ citizens (which the children aged 8, 6) have automatic right to Oz. I'm not sure on the eligibility of that visa lebourvellec, you mentioned RMA, I'm really new to all this sorry - where could I find details for them?

I did email immigration and they said they couldn't offer advice so maybe if I asked them specific questions they would be able to say yay /ney.

Thank you.

I don't think this is complicated. There is no visa for you on the back of your children, they can go and live in Australia but that does not provide you with a visa.

Edited by Rupert
wording