Commuting from Mornington to the CBD / Fitzroy?!

carlito235

Hey guys,

I know that this has been covered on other threads, but they're quite old and I wanted to get an idea of how the situation stands at the moment.

After visiting Mornington for the first time a few months ago, we fell in love with the place. We've done several reccies since, and decided that we definitely want to live there. We've just had twin boys, and think it'd be a lovely place to raise them, as opposed to the hustle and bustle of the city.

Does anyone currently do the commute? Do you drive or take the train from Frankston? Does the new Peninsula Link make a difference?

I'd be more than willing to change jobs but probably wouldn't be able to do it for six months or so. Would the commute be bearable for that long? We've decided to get a short term rental initially, then buy if everything works out.

Be interested to hear your views, guys!

Thanks,

Martin

Hi Martin We're in Mornington and I commute up everyday. It sometimes becomes a bind but my jobs a bit different. I work out of an office in Caufield and have to attend sites from anywhere from Dandernong to Moonee Ponds. But more often if I'm starting in the office I use the Nepean but I start at 7 and finish at 3:30 if my boss lets me get away. Traffic is a nightmare comming home if I leave anywhere between 4 and 5:30, it can take up to and hour and half. But normaly a hour to the city is normal. Supprisingly I started late on friday and my first appointment was at 8am in Richmond. Thinking it would be bad at that time I set off about 6:45 and traveled via the Eastlink then Monash Freeway. I still arrived there about 7:30. The biggest problems tend to be on wet days when people forget how to drive in the rain and tailagte their way to work. I hope this answers you questions... oh BTW I have company car so dont have to pay for fuel and dont use the train. But I have heard the train is free before 7:00. Justin

Guest guest87294

We used to live in Victoria. We lived in Somerville then Mt Eliza and my husband worked in Keilor. He rode a motorbike most days and this avoided the toll cost, but he would still be stuck in traffic because motorists do not always look out for bikes as well as they do in the UK. When he took the car it took him 90 mins each way on a good day... on a bad day it was 2 hours.. The toll cost us $240 a month which unless your self employed cannot be claimed back on your tax return. We moved to Tasmania three years ago. We sold our house in Vic and looked to move near to his work, but finding the places (that were big enough for five of us) you want to be at the prices we could afford was hard... We ended up in silent bids but lost out... so we gave up and looked elsewhere. I love Melbourne, well we all do, we live close to the airport now and have discovered that a lot of people who work in Melbourne actually live here too... it is 50 mins on a cheap flight ($40 or less) and takes less time to get to the CBD then it did for us to drive it from the mornington peninsula. I would seriously consider Croydon, Montmorency, Geelong areas as this will keep your costs down and your stress levels. Part of living here is the relaxed lifestyle.

Hey guys - thanks for your input.

We've been renting in Hawthorn for a couple of years and really love it here, but couldn't hope to buy anything even remotely near here! I realise that the commute wouldn't be the best thing in the world, but think maybe I'd be prepared to give it a go for a while. I occasionally get the train and tram to work in Fitzroy (from Hawthorn) and that can take 50-55 minutes door to door. It's obviously much quicker when I drive, though!

I'll have to give it some serious thought over the next couple of months. Justin, how do you find Mornington - are you happy to do the commute to wake up there on weekends? I was getting good vibes whilst I was there. I imagine it to be awesome in summer!

Cheers,

Martin

If I was living in Mornington I would drive to Frankston and take the train to the city and get off at Parliament. The train takes about an hour and the drive to Mornington is ok now as most of the traffic is now on Peninsula Link so Moorooduc Road is easy now.

You could drive via Eastlink up to Dandenong and then take Princes Highway and cut across to Fitzroy.

I would avoid the Monash like the plague as its a car park morning and night.

There are express trains on the Frankston line in Peak and obviously they are faster than taking the car.

We leave our car in Frankston and take the train when we need to go to the city.

Hi

We visit Mornington as our daughter has settled there - last visit it took us one hour 20 mins from airport down peninsula link so not too bad.

By the way we've just applied for pr via CPV - daughter has her first child next month, good luck.

GT

Guest guest87294

Hi Martin. I love Mornington (living nearby we used to shop in Mornington) and the secondary school there, Padua is excellent. My husband loved it there too even with his commute. If you don't need to work weekends you will enjoy living there, it is beautiful... he did it for 3 years before it became too much for him and we had to move. Now it takes him 15 mins to get to work and we wake up to the view of the mountains with the beach being only 30 mins away. If I was in your shoes I would consider renting for a year on the mornington peninsula and then decide whether you are OK with the commute. Wishing you all the best with your decision...

Thanks everyone!

I think we're going to do it!! Won't be for a couple of months or so, until our current lease expires.

If the commute does become too much after a while, and we really want to stay down there, then I can always find another job. It's good to take chances and follow your heart in life, I think.

Thanks again,

Martin

Martin, life in mornington is good.

The only downside is on the weekends the traffic lights by maccers is always camped out by charity collectors. Not that its a bad thing but if you go through them a couple of time a weekend it starts to bind.

We live behind Bunnings in that small estate and its nice. People are friendly and always welcoming.

I've only been working in Caufied for 4 months, so is not too much of a drag at the moment. But I could see it could be for somepeople.

If we could we would like to move down further to Safety Beach or Dromana, but thats pushing it a bit it would add an extra 20mins each way.

Mornington itself is nice in the summer and beaches are great. We get the tourists down from the city and further afield but its kind of funny seeing all the weekend sailors coming down from the city.

At one point we thought it was take your boat to work week!

The racecourse has lots going for it and has lots events all year round.

Guys at work tell me they call it Little London. You hear a lot of English accents in the supermarket.

Justin

Thanks for that Justin, I'll try to avoid the Macca's intersection then :-)

Yeah, I take your point Starlight. We were originally just going to buy straight out, but we're now going to rent and consider it a trial run!

Cheers guys!

Archived