Rental queries

smurf1478

Hi,

I will be moving to australia in a couple of months and i will be renting a place when i get there, i will be looking for a furnished place but what would be in the house ie would there be plates,knifes,forks,glasses,cups etc might sound a silly question but if i know that all the little bits are included i will not bother sending them over with my other crate.

Thanks

Most properties in Australia are rented unfurnished (probably 99% in the suburbs, and 95% in the inner-city area). Of those that are not unfurnished there are various "flavours":

(1) Major appliances & furniture items - YES; Minor items (cutlery, linen, decorations etc) - YES; Utilities - YES

(2) Major appliances & furniture items - YES; Minor items (cutlery, linen, decorations etc) - YES; Utilities - NO

(3) Major appliances & furniture items - YES; Minor items (cutlery, linen, decorations etc) - NO; Utilities - NO

For furnished, the split b/w the three categories would probably be 30%; 60%; 10%.

As a rule of thumb, allow around $600 to $700/week for a one-bedroom apartment in category (1) and you'll be able to rent on short term (week to week) basis. For reference, an the same unfurnished apartment would probably rent for around 50% of this amount on a 6-12 month lease. For categories (2) and (3), you could probably pick something up around the $400 to $450 mark but the lease term will tend to be longer (prob 6+ months). So I'm telling you this just so you have an idea of the cost variation.

Now if you're focussed on (3), you may well want to bring your minor items, especially considering you'll need them should you eventually arrange accom on a long stay basis. If you're planning to stay in (1) or (2), then leave them behind. Please note there aren't a lot of apts in the category (3)... so this may constrain your search a bit.

Hope this helps... sorry it has gone on a bit. PM me if you have any specific queries.

Most properties in Australia are rented unfurnished (probably 99% in the suburbs, and 95% in the inner-city area). Of those that are not unfurnished there are various "flavours":

(1) Major appliances & furniture items - YES; Minor items (cutlery, linen, decorations etc) - YES; Utilities - YES

(2) Major appliances & furniture items - YES; Minor items (cutlery, linen, decorations etc) - YES; Utilities - NO

(3) Major appliances & furniture items - YES; Minor items (cutlery, linen, decorations etc) - NO; Utilities - NO

For furnished, the split b/w the three categories would probably be 30%; 60%; 10%.

As a rule of thumb, allow around $600 to $700/week for a one-bedroom apartment in category (1) and you'll be able to rent on short term (week to week) basis. For reference, an the same unfurnished apartment would probably rent for around 50% of this amount on a 6-12 month lease. For categories (2) and (3), you could probably pick something up around the $400 to $450 mark but the lease term will tend to be longer (prob 6+ months). So I'm telling you this just so you have an idea of the cost variation.

Now if you're focussed on (3), you may well want to bring your minor items, especially considering you'll need them should you eventually arrange accom on a long stay basis. If you're planning to stay in (1) or (2), then leave them behind. Please note there aren't a lot of apts in the category (3)... so this may constrain your search a bit.

Hope this helps... sorry it has gone on a bit. PM me if you have any specific queries.

How can you comment on prices when OP has not mentioned what part of Australia they will go to?

OP - renting fully furnished and fully kitted out will make things vastly more expensive, we got a cheap cutlery set for about $20 when we arrived and then through it away when the container arrived with our proper stuff.

Hi Smurf, what area are you going to?

You should try googling the city you're headed to, along with terms like 'completely fully furnished' 'self contained' and 'holiday let' - this should give you a starting point to work from.

A number of us here provide this kind of accommodation, but suitable accommodation depends on whether you're looking for close to the city, near the ocean, a place suitable for kids, etc.

Also will you be going there straight from the airport? ie. will you need access to the property at 1am or similar? Not all places provide that kind of access. Depending on what you plan on doing for your arrival will also impact on whether you go the fully furnished option, or make do as Rupert suggests. Both are perfectly fine options, as long as you know what your movements on arrival will be :)

Anyhow, just some thoughts to get you started.

Jen :)

How can you comment on prices when OP has not mentioned what part of Australia they will go to?

Just a rough estimate for accom within short walking distance of capital city. But you're right... this made a big assumption about destination! Thanks for clarifying.

Guest guest76088

I want to move to Australia to rent an apartment. Will it have knives and forks?

BigD

Hi Smurf, what area are you going to?

You should try googling the city you're headed to, along with terms like 'completely fully furnished' 'self contained' and 'holiday let' - this should give you a starting point to work from.

A number of us here provide this kind of accommodation, but suitable accommodation depends on whether you're looking for close to the city, near the ocean, a place suitable for kids, etc.

Also will you be going there straight from the airport? ie. will you need access to the property at 1am or similar? Not all places provide that kind of access. Depending on what you plan on doing for your arrival will also impact on whether you go the fully furnished option, or make do as Rupert suggests. Both are perfectly fine options, as long as you know what your movements on arrival will be :)

Anyhow, just some thoughts to get you started.

Hi Jen,

I am going to Perth, when i arrive the company that i will be working for are putting me up in a hotel for 2 weeks so i will have that time to find a place to stay, i am not to really fussed if i am near the beach or not, how much would you say it cost as a guide with bills included.

Thanks for your advice

Hi again :) Our two bedroom properties rent for $630/week - that includes all utilities, wireless internet and VOIP phone (free local calls) plus all linen, crockery, cutlery etc. They're located in Glendalough and Osborne Park. Our three bedroom villas, which are rented on the same basis, rent for $750/week and are located in Balcatta.

Hi Jen,

Do you do one bedrooms rentals at all? Also i will be mobile within my job, my head office is in malaga, where would you suggest that would be the best place for me to live? I am a outgoing person but also like to chillout aswell

No unfortunately only two and three bedroom properties!

Malaga is north east of the Perth CBD and is typically more of an industrial area. If you're looking for suburbs where you can kick back and relax while admiring the ocean, any of the beachside suburbs would probably suit you (Scarborough, Watermans Bay, North Beach etc). However it would be about a 25 minute drive to work. Your chances of finding a single bed apartment are probably best in somewhere like Scarborough, I'd say.

Hi again :) Our two bedroom properties rent for $630/week - that includes all utilities, wireless internet and VOIP phone (free local calls) plus all linen, crockery, cutlery etc. They're located in Glendalough and Osborne Park. Our three bedroom villas, which are rented on the same basis, rent for $750/week and are located in Balcatta.

I'm in the wrong business

Hi smurf

Don't be scared to look a bit further north for something cheaper a lot of the hol let's are near the coast obviously , as you say you are mobile and most people have a commute , Malaga or as they say Malarger here lol is easily accessed the freeway get off at the Reid highway miss most of the hassle nearer the city , good luck

Archived