help with flying my cat from scotland... please please help

I have been in Australia 11 months and now have my PR. I'm looking to send my cat over to be with me in Perth. I miss him so much and to be honest as a family we are totally lost without him. He is with my father who is doing a great job of looking after him but I so want him back with us so we can enjoy his great temperament and fun loving life.

I'm really worried he wont survive the flight though. Tom, my cat is 9 years old and got knocked down when he was 1 years old. Since then he is very fearful around cars, noise in general. He at times lives on his nerves. I'm worried he wont make the flight due to the noise and commotion around getting him in the create and the number of people that will man handle him. He doesn't take to people very easy either btw. i'm worried his heart will pack in with the trauma of flying.

Do you think its more humane to leave him in Scotland or bring him here to OZ with us?

Do you know if there is anyway I can get him chilled out in the cage that he pretty much doesn't know where he is and so wont care lol. I know they cant be sedated

Difficult situation. We didn't bring our hale and hearty 2 year old cat for the same reasons, to be honest. We passed him on to an acquaintance where he is now thriving, and decimating the Nottinghamshire rodent population as he did in West Yorkshire.

If he is doing fine in the UK I would be tempted to let him enjoy his life there (sad to say, but you are probably missing him more than the other way), and home a cat here, sure you will find a wonderful pet on whom you can lavish as much affection. We have two brothers who are more affectionate than Ramsay our old cat (now renamed Rambo by his new owners owing to his pugnacious attitude)... Good luck with whatever you decide.

Edited by akiralx

Hey

Really difficult dilemma!

Really, if you have someone in UK who will have him and love him and spoil him like you do then that is the best option. If he is safe and settled then leaving him where he is is best for him. Not so good for you, but best for him. If you dotn have that, then he has to come over and join you.

It is hugely unlikely that his heart will just "pack up" with the stress, that just does not happen. At 9 years old, he is not that old and you can have the caret before the flight to get him used to it. with cats, the longer you can have it the better really. He will hate it at first!

Dont forget that for him to go over to Australia and serve minimum quarantine he will have to have a rabies vaccination and rabies blood sample 6-12 months before the flight (it is more complex than this, but that is a good precis), so you need to get that started if you want him to come over.

Anything else let us know.

​Bob