Postal Charges

Shaz

Hi all,

My mum who's in Perth has sent my daughter a piece of jewellery (a bangle) for her birthday. I recieved a letter from Royal Mail saying that there is a Customs Charge for it and a Royal Mail handling fee, altogether has come to £25!

My mum paid $18 postage and filled in all the customs requirements when she sent it.

Can anyone shed some light on this? I just think it's all a bit much for what it is....:confused:

Thanks

Sorry I can't SB,but I am getting fed up of Royal Mail charges from the UK.Last Xmas I spent £75 just on postage for my son's Xmas presents,and I deliberately chose very light items too!From now on I am sending presents from a store like Debenhams.£14.99 postage!Bargain lol

It's punitive and completely out of order

Best not to send any item through the post these days, they have got really (far too) strict about it. Order online from the UK (or somewhere else in the EU if you object to the policy and don't want UK HMRC to make even the VAT!)

They are also totally inflexible I'm afraid. I think what has sparked it is the large number of people who set up ebay businesses buying stuff from somewhere else where things were cheap/lower taxed (typically the US or Hong Kong) and selling them in the UK, shipping them across into the UK as personal items/gifts to avoid tax. I knew someone who earnt some serious coin doing this. They're still doing it, but have relocated to France from where they can send to within the EU (including UK) and the authorities haven't caught up with the incoming trade yet.......

It's punitive and completely out of order

Best not to send any item through the post these days, they have got really (far too) strict about it. Order online from the UK (or somewhere else in the EU if you object to the policy and don't want UK HMRC to make even the VAT!)

They are also totally inflexible I'm afraid. I think what has sparked it is the large number of people who set up ebay businesses buying stuff from somewhere else where things were cheap/lower taxed (typically the US or Hong Kong) and selling them in the UK, shipping them across into the UK as personal items/gifts to avoid tax. I knew someone who earnt some serious coin doing this. They're still doing it, but have relocated to France from where they can send to within the EU (including UK) and the authorities haven't caught up with the incoming trade yet.......

The same thing happened to us two weeks ago...soooooo angry :twitcy: my daughter wanted to send her friend in the uk a perth tshirt for her birthday....we bought it for $19.99....I paid $17 postage......nearly chocked! And nearly didnt post it as thought it was an horrendous price.....anyway the tshirt arrived....however I get a message from my friend to say she has to pay £12 custom charges or the post office won't release the tshirt....I too filled in a customs form and the post office here said you can send goods up to £36....but appears not!....I am upset too as really want to send my mum a scarf as a present but not prepared to risk it.......so now I'm not posting at all to the uk...instead order from m&s to be delivered straight to the uk addresses....and moonpig do a variety of gifts now which you can add to a card order.....rant over! LOL

Archived