Skilled independent sub 189 visa - do I have the time?

TheHorse

Hi all, I just registered here but wanted to ask for peoples advice / experience since my past dealings with DIAC has suggested to me that I'll get given about 4 different answers (or no answer) to each of the questions I have!

I'm currently on a 457 visa which expires in at the start of Sept. I'm only on a temporary contract with my work and despite my attempts I haven't been able to find another employer in my profession so far and the short time remaining on my visa is beginning to hamper the job search further. Rather than getting kicked out of the country in September and be forced to head back to Scotland, I've been looking at the 189 visa.

Can people advise how long they've typically had to wait to have all the information required to lodge an EOI (VETASSESS etc, do I need an IELTS if I'm from the UK?)

I've looked at the points system and reckon I'd have between 60 and 70 points, depending on what score I get allocated for the English language ability test. What I'm wondering, if I get everything done and submit an EOI, what are the chances of being invited to apply before my visa expires in Sept? I know there's no set time limit or guarantee of being invited, but I'm looking for advice on how long others have had to wait in similar circumstances. And obviously I don't want to waste a lot of money on putting everything together if I'm unlikely to be invited to apply. Any help is greatly appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...