How to work out entrance requirements for admission to uni...

jac2011

Forgive me if I am asking something really obvious, this is a new subject I am exploring and it feels like I am learning mandarin!

How would I calculate whether my DH current qualifications would qualify him to enter a course in a QLD university?

He has a mixture of GCSE's and OU (175 points of level 1/FHEQ 4) qualifications and I am wondering whether there is a method like the UK where you can calculate your qualifications to turn them into Oz qualifications? I have emailed the Uni but not heard back yet.

Has anyone had much luck getting onto a uni course over there as a mature student?

It will depend on the course. Many unis have different requirements for mature students in some courses. Just call the admissions office at the uni and they will be happy to give you advice - remember you are potential customers!

Guest littlesarah

Institutions use different formulae depending on what type of qualifications you have. They can calculate a high school score, all you need to do is contact them.

Thanks everyone, we will wait to see if we hear from them via email first and see what they say.

I was a little confused when it comes down to OU qualifications and credits!

Julie

Any units that have already been studied at university will be considered by the university in regards to advance standing - meaning a few less units to do if accepted.

Guest littlesarah

For units studied at another institution (including OU) can be assessed if you're requesting credit transfer - they need to be about an 80% match (for that you need to provide copies of the relevant course outline). There is a time limit though, so anything studied more than about 5 years ago can't be used for advance standing, but could be considered when it comes to gaining entry.

Thanks for the advice,

He is looking for credit transfer as he knows his knowledge is in an unrelated field - IT, Science, Maths and Engineering - However, he would like to know whether it is enough to gain him a place upon the degree course. ie in the UK he would need A levels or equivalent, well he has no A Levels. I have asked the Uni and they just pointed us to a page saying International students must prove English Language skills ie IELTS Level 7 or above.

Surely, he wouldn't be able to join a uni with an IELTS (or equivalent) test?

Hi jac2011, although my son is only 18 he has applied to uni as an international student, he doesn't have A Levels. He has been offered a place today on a year long foundation course and following successful completion is guaranteed a place on a Business Degree at QUT. What we need to establish is whether we are liable for the full 4 year fees as an international student. We are applying for PR and don't know if we would be allowed to change to domestic fees once PR is granted. He had to have a letter from his school stating that he was taught in English for 5 years. It may be that the Uni is thinking along foundation degree lines. I will be ringing the Uni tomorrow before my son accepts the offer. I would speak to them and then get any advice followed up in an email. Good Luck. :smile:

Hi jac2011, although my son is only 18 he has applied to uni as an international student, he doesn't have A Levels. He has been offered a place today on a year long foundation course and following successful completion is guaranteed a place on a Business Degree at QUT. What we need to establish is whether we are liable for the full 4 year fees as an international student. We are applying for PR and don't know if we would be allowed to change to domestic fees once PR is granted. He had to have a letter from his school stating that he was taught in English for 5 years. It may be that the Uni is thinking along foundation degree lines. I will be ringing the Uni tomorrow before my son accepts the offer. I would speak to them and then get any advice followed up in an email. Good Luck. :smile:

As soon as you get PR you will be able to start paying domestic fees rather than international.

For units studied at another institution (including OU) can be assessed if you're requesting credit transfer - they need to be about an 80% match (for that you need to provide copies of the relevant course outline). There is a time limit though, so anything studied more than about 5 years ago can't be used for advance standing, but could be considered when it comes to gaining entry.

I used studies from much longer ago than that to obtain advance standing.

Thanks for the advice,

He is looking for credit transfer as he knows his knowledge is in an unrelated field - IT, Science, Maths and Engineering - However, he would like to know whether it is enough to gain him a place upon the degree course. ie in the UK he would need A levels or equivalent, well he has no A Levels. I have asked the Uni and they just pointed us to a page saying International students must prove English Language skills ie IELTS Level 7 or above.

Surely, he wouldn't be able to join a uni with an IELTS (or equivalent) test?

No, he would not. Look again and it should say that the UK is an exempt country from the language perquisite as it is is assumed that the studies were in English.

Your husband has already proven that he can study at university level, therefore it is highly likely that he would be admitted straight onto a degree course here.

Thanks everyone, your advice is great.

I noticed I said he was looking for credit transfer - it was meant to say 'not' looking. He is more than happy to start at the start of the degree. It was whether he would have to do a course before Uni to get on the course but I am hoping that from your replies he will not. Hopefully someone at Uni in the admissions dept will get back to us soon but thanks for giving us some hope!

Guest littlesarah
I used studies from much longer ago than that to obtain advance standing.

I can only speak with certainty about the institution that I work for; it may be that other universities apply different rules to credit transfer.

Archived