3 Weeks today & I am Aus bound via Dubai....

CharlieLou

....have a major case of butterflies!!!!

I know I will be asking questions that have already been asked but whenever I reply to a thread to ask for clarification I don't always get a response.....any help/advise is appreciated!

I got a quote on-line with Covermore & wondering if I have done anything wrong as it seems to be really cheap at £101.69? I selected the Annual Multi-trip and have gone with Plan A (which is the better out of the 2 options they offer) and reduced to £0 excess......Seems too good to be true! Has anybody else used them and did you get a similar quote?

Secondly, I'm heading to Aus with my best friend who is from Perth, she has advised me to take my savings in cash & exchange when I get there as the rate will be better...I have looked & have seen a few rates for 1.483 ish over here, compared to 1.5205 in Aus....I'm undecided whether to sort out here...maybe transfer my funds to an Aussie account or to risk taking cash with me for obvious reasons! I will be staying with her & her parents when I arrive so I'm lucky in a sense that there is no urgency for me to sort everything before I head out as won't be a problem to do when I get there but still doesn't make the decision any easier for me!

​Charlie xx

I paid about 160quid for a years insurance with downunder insurance I think. So shopping around that's probably about right.

With the money stuff, I took with me about 1000quid changed by the post office in the UK, was checking every day for rates, was pretty good there, then sent some over via bank transfer once I got here. $1400 was enough for the first couple of weeks while I sent over some more funds. I went straight to the bank though on the day I arrived, but if you're staying at a friends taking cash shouldn't be a problem in my opinion!

I paid about 160quid for a years insurance with downunder insurance I think. So shopping around that's probably about right.

With the money stuff, I took with me about 1000quid changed by the post office in the UK, was checking every day for rates, was pretty good there, then sent some over via bank transfer once I got here. $1400 was enough for the first couple of weeks while I sent over some more funds. I went straight to the bank though on the day I arrived, but if you're staying at a friends taking cash shouldn't be a problem in my opinion!

Ah nice one...pretty pleased I have found travel insurance for £100 then....I was expecting it to be a lot more so I am very happy!

I'm not going to have all my funds until closer the time when I leave so I might just see what the rates are & make a decision then! I am slightly concerned I'm not going to have the equivalent of $5000 in my account to show a statement to customs...although I've heard that it's rare you get asked for proof of funds...do you think I should make sure I have a statement to show...perhaps borrowing money to have in my account?

​Charlie xx

I took a statement just in case. They didn't even check or ask anything at immigration, just looked at my passport, looked at me, then said enjoy australia. That was it. But saying that, if you don't take any proof, they'll probably stop you and ask you to check it. Sods law and all!

Thanks guys!! I've spoke with my boss & he is going to pay me early so that's a great help. I'll have just over £2k minimum and there is a chance I could have around £3k depending on if I manage to sell some pieces of jewellery etc. I will be looking for regional work shortly after arriving so hopefully I'll be ok money wise!

​xx

Archived