Advice on buying a new build/house & land package - Melbourne

iain

Looking for advice on a house builder to use in Melbourne. Sick of paying rent and have around $20k deposit just now and looking to buy my own house.

Been looking at the house and land packages for a new build. Does anyone know which companies are good/bad etc?

cheers in advance

All of the project builders will be similar. They all use cheap labour and they design down to a price point. I am astounded when I see the lack of quality in some of our friends new houses. When you go into the display homes, you are drawn in by the interior design, the furniture, the pictures, the garden landscaping - none of which you are actually buying. So - here's your options financially. If you use a project builder you'll be paying $700 - $1000 per sqm. If you use a bespoke builder you will be paying $1000 - $2000 per sqm. You do get what you pay for - there are no short cuts. If you owner build you will get more for your money, but you will have to do more for your money. We owner built, and I lecture on owner building, this route isn't for everyone.

BB

Yeah I would like to use a smaller builder as I can easily check on the quality of work etc. But they charge more. Basically this will be our first home (in Oz) so it's just the first rung on the ladder. I have a lot of mates who are chippies, joiners, plumbers etc (joys of playing football for a ex pate team :wink:) so they will be helping. I was thinking of getting the basic shell and doing a lot of the extras ourselves???

once again, cheers for the reply :biggrin:

• 7 months later...

You need to check with the finance as well. Often with a lot of package deals you have to settle the land first and at that time the Bank or lending institution will not front up the full price of the block of land and you are expected to make up the shortfall. I have seen this happen to people. So you really need to know when money is going to be drawn down and how much.

You also need to have your building contract looked at by a solicitor as they are very complicated.

GST is on new builds so you need to consider that if the house is already built and you are buying from a builder then GST needs to be included.

In fact I would be going to see a solicitor and getting some advice on what you should be doing.

Getting wrapped up in red tape is what most owner/builders have to be aware of; bye-laws, covenants, building inspectors yarda yarda...An absolute minefield.:arghh:

mmmm not in Victoria in my personal experience. The planning and building permit application processes could be understood easily.

BB