Help! Which removal firm? You experiences, please!

Junie

Hi, I've has PSS round this morning for a quote.

He mentioned something about the freezer that I wish to take. I can remember what he said about it. I think it was to ensure it does not have fcc. What it that and how do I find out?

Any help?

Thanks

Tyrone and Catherine

CFC is Chlorofluorocarbon and damage the ozone layer because they emit something that goes up in to the atmosphere (I can't remember exactly but I do remember when I was in Australia in the 80's, my grandparents were telling me about this CFC as so many Aussies had multiple fridges/freezers - my grandparents had 3 fridges) I'm not sure if newer fridges and freezers are still manufactured with CFC's.

As far as moving goes, I am a bit biased as I used to be a move coordinator for Pickfords, but I can 100% assure you that where I worked, the service was excellent (can't vouch it for now that I've left lol) but I am planning to use them when I move to Tasmania as everything is included in the price (or used to be) and they will come and pack your belongings etc. (I'm also hoping my old manager might see his way fit to giving me a discount!)

I work for Davies turner air cargo, who also do relocation shipping(excess baggage). They use PSS, John Mason, Crown, Anglo Pacific etc for sea freight consignments and they have recommended all to me above to me.

I has PSS out today who seemed good and answered all my questions. John mason are due next monday then Anglo Pacific the following.

I guess the deciding factor will be the quotes they provide me with, what the quote includes and how comfortable i feel using that company.

I was advised to arrange the crating of my Plasma tv myself as they said I would get it done cheaper as I am in the air freight/shipping industry. Which I did and half the PSS estimated price.

From what I have researched their service is about the same.

P.s.If anyone has any excess baggage or general items that they would like air freighted to Australia to arrive before their container, please feel free to contact me and I can arrange a quote from my employer.

Just go with the few cheapest, haggle between them as you'll get it down further. Your gut instinct will also come into it, we went with dorree bonner and they were fantastic, would recommend them. Pick fords were cheaper so dorree came down a bit, nt quite as cheap as pick fords but we had a good feeling about dorree, it went brill.

Hi There. I just wanted to add that I had 2 separate consignments with Pickfords and both arrived with damages and broken items due to their packaging and lack of protecting some obviously fragile items. I was so disappointed and would never personally recommend them, despite their good pre-sales talk and competitive quote. I was told that my quote was based on the fact that our new sofas wouldn't have things stacked on them and they arrived with dents and a broken arm, to name but a few of the damaged things. I know they are not on your list but thought I would make others aware of our experience. Please also consider taking out your own insurance costs, rather then the removal company's insurance as you can save yourself quite a whack. We used Letton Percival and although we didn't end up claiming due to the items being irreplaceable and one-offs they were very helpful and always available to talk to. I wish we'd gone with Anglo-Pacific in the end. I am sure there will be others reading this who will however praise the services of Pickfords. I guess it's all about the luck of the draw. Good luck with making your decision.

Hi all,

i just had Anglo pacific round this morning (my first of 3 companies coming round). We have a 4 bed house, but not that much stuff, even the salesman said we would only fill 90% of a 20ft container so if we need to take more we could..!

anyway....

> Removal cost £4,000

> insurance 3% of total to be insured, this is done by inventory, I.e. you select what items to insure and for how much, so basically insure the high end stuff, tv, large items, my bikes!! And set the value. Leave things like clothing, bed linen, cutlery etc. unless you want to insure them (but I won't be!). He mentioned on average the figure people come to is around £10-15,000 so £300 to £450 at 3%.

> then the AQUIS cost which is Australian customers charge at the other end, paid when the goods are checked prior to release direct to them, this is currently $450 (he told me), so about £300.

taking the lower insurance, total came to £4,600

this is not cheap, but they do all the packing, which as I'm going first and the wife and kids coming a month later is a bonus. They dismantle all beds, wardrobes etc. Delivery door2door and even reassemble stuff when the deliver it!

Like I say this is my first quote of 3, so may get the same for cheaper elsewhere, but the salesman was nice, not pushy etc. And they seemed like a slick, professional company.

will let you know what PSS and Excess International come back with later.

(ps. Also looked at seven seas as they seem to be cheap and recommended, but I don't think they do the full house move, I.e. big items. Just seem to send standard boxes and unique items, bikes, gold clubs etc., no sofas, large items of furniture? And I can't get though on the phone to them to find out!)

We used John mason 18 mths ago, they were fantastic, they came and packed everything for us in 2 days and when everrything landed in oz there was nothing broken. I would deffo recommend them, also you can barter with them, get other quotes and they will probably match the cheaper one, that's what happened with us anyway. Good luck.

We have Crown coming next monday (1st july) and so far they have been very professional and prompt to answer anything i've needed.

I got 3 quotes (PSS, Pickfords and Crown) and although at the time they didnt seem the cheapest the others didnt includes the AQIS fees which crown do so in the end they were the best all round quote.

During the whole quote and survey process they seemed more and genuinely interested in our move and provide nice little extras such as car shaped boxes for our 2 boys so they can pack their own 'special' toys and its goes on the container last so when it arrives at the new house in OZ its first off, keeping them amused whilst the unloading happens and it also makes then feel part of time move. They also provide a very useful welcome pack and in there are childs books on moving to australia and whats happening in story forms.....these extras were the deal clinchers for us.

I will update once my furniture has arrived early september.

Dan

We have Crown coming next monday (1st july) and so far they have been very professional and prompt to answer anything i've needed.

I got 3 quotes (PSS, Pickfords and Crown) and although at the time they didnt seem the cheapest the others didnt includes the AQIS fees which crown do so in the end they were the best all round quote.

During the whole quote and survey process they seemed more and genuinely interested in our move and provide nice little extras such as car shaped boxes for our 2 boys so they can pack their own 'special' toys and its goes on the container last so when it arrives at the new house in OZ its first off, keeping them amused whilst the unloading happens and it also makes then feel part of time move. They also provide a very useful welcome pack and in there are childs books on moving to australia and whats happening in story forms.....these extras were the deal clinchers for us.

I will update once my furniture has arrived early september.

Dan

Good luck with the move Dan!

I am leaning towards John Mason based on the service I have received from them so far.

621cuft for £3000 inc crating 3 tvs, a painting and an electric fire. + ins + AQIS.

Want to see if I can get the price down a little. Has anyone recently finalised a quote on this cube going to Sydney? I don't know how much I should hold out for?

Cheers

Tyrone

Archived