Car prices in Perth / OH wants to go now (without car), I prefer to go June 2014 (with car)

SaffanZimbo

:arghh:Not sure if i'm being really silly but after our recent Reccie and having seen the prices of cars I would like to update our 11 year old car so that we can take a decent car with us (RORO or within the container whichever cheaper - at this stage we only have online quotes).

By spending a maximum of £6k ($9k with exchange rate of 1.5) on a car here the same model car in Perth is $16-17k... Even with shipping costs, GST, duty, getting in the road etc it seems worth it.

Is OH right and we should just pack up now and go and buy a cheap second hand car on arrival in Perth...... I had wanted to go in July 2014 once our youngest had finished her year in Reception Class and we had extra £'s saved for the kids and I to live on here whilst OH goes ahead to look for work.......

:arghh:

Guest chris955

I cant comment on whether you should go now or next year but IF you are waiting another year and you choose wisely it would be worth taking a car.

If the only thing stopping was a car then I'd say go now, get a job over there if you haven't already and start earning $$ then the difference in car prices will be irrelevant. Do not use the exchange rate, it is irrelevant, use what you will be earning, if you are only going to be earning 1.5x your salary (UK) then I doubt (unless you are on a very high uk wage) that you should be going.

15ish months extra earning power in Perth should be far more than $7-8k extra spent on a car. The only way I'd consider it worth your while buying a car in the uk and waiting is if you could buy a porsche/ferarri/top spec bmw / merc keep it mint and than export it for well above the exchange rate as the high end cars command a much better price over there.

Reading your last paragraph if there are other reasons why you don't want to go thats up to you, but if you want to wait 15ish months so you can 'save' $8k on a car, whereby you could have earnt 10,000's dollars more over there seems a no brainer

Hi

We bought an SUV when we got here and it was identical in price to the same model in the UK (based on an exchange rate of the time of 1.5). We have also since bought a small car and it too was identical in price to the UK version.

However, it is worth pointing out that if you are buying a European make/model car, the price here will be much higher. However if you buy a car such as a Honda, Hyundai, Toyota etc, (all of which we did price comparisons on at the time - Hubbie in Oz, me in the UK) they were identically priced.

If you want advice on bringing a car over, go onto the shipping and transport thread as there is a chap there who can tell you exactly how much it will cost to bring the car over. We are bringing a LandRover over later this year and his advice has been invaluable. You should be aware that you need to have owned a car for over 12 months in order to bring it in under the personal import scheme.

Regards

Carolyn

Depends on how much you are shipping too. If you can fit a car in without getting a bigger container then you could go for it. You also need to consider if the type of car you can buy in Oz is the type of car you want to drive in Oz. It is one thing to sell it on in Oz, but if you are keeping say a BMW - it will be expensive to maintain.

Guest Ptp113
Depends on how much you are shipping too. If you can fit a car in without getting a bigger container then you could go for it. You also need to consider if the type of car you can buy in Oz is the type of car you want to drive in Oz. It is one thing to sell it on in Oz, but if you are keeping say a BMW - it will be expensive to maintain.

And damn near impossible to sell (BMW)

Archived