Mona Vale and commute to city

jo greenway

Hi Everyone

We are currently renting in Pymble and have been here a year and a half, we are now looking for a new rental and not much coming up in our area. We have now seen a house in Mona Vale that we love, we have to boys 2 and 4 and this house has great ocean views (not much garden compared to now) and we would be close to the beach which my boys would love. Question is how bearable is that commute to the city my husband works in Alexandria, (and before anyone suggest Eastern suburbs we just like North shore we seem to get a bit more for money). I just want to know pros and cons of living near beach. we have settled in Pymble and have made friends but we do spend a lot of time up and down that MOna vale road to the beaches so just wondered if should go for it. Any thoughts would be appreciated cheers

Wish I could help.....I love it up there too, but I know I would hate the commute so it's not an option

It depends on how you see the commute I think. For me, one of the best things about coming to Aus has been that my 90 min e/w commute is down to 30. Which has had a huge benefit to our QoL as we also have young kids (5 and 0 in our case) and I get home every night before bedtime now which I never used to

I could easily live on the beaches (we are currently in Wahroonga) BUT know the journey to work is not for me.

A public transport commute from Mona Vale means bus to the city - 60 mins? - then another bus with a walk to a different stop - 308/309 bus perhaps & another 20 mins. Driving much the same? 30 K from Mona Vale to Sydney??

Whereas the commute from one of the Eastern Subs beaches would mean a third of the distance to Mona Vale.

I guess it depends how much of your life you want to spend commuting? I loved living at Narrabeen but hated commuting to Sydney.

I bet it would be more than that at peak.....Rupert would know better than anyone as he commutes by bus from Collaroy I think

The "bendy bus" used to do the trip from Narrabeen shops to Wynyard in about 40 mins back in 1987, very good really but I was going thru a phase of extreme anxiety and I could not cope with the feeling of being trapped once I was on the bus, especially going over the Harbour Bridge

The "bendy bus" used to do the trip from Narrabeen shops to Wynyard in about 40 mins back in 1987, very good really but I was going thru a phase of extreme anxiety and I could not cope with the feeling of being trapped once I was on the bus, especially going over the Harbour Bridge

I think you could only do that journey these days in 40 minutes if there were hardly any traffic. I get an early bus from Collaroy and there are times when it takes about 40 minutes, but it would also easily take an hour just a little bit later. I like my journey to work but I am a few minutes from the bus stop both ends so it is an uncomplicated journey. I would be ok with a slightly longer bus ride, from Mona Vale for example, but not if I then had to change onto another bus at the end of it to complete the journey. I think this sounds like it would get pretty tiring quite quickly.

I think you could only do that journey these days in 40 minutes if there were hardly any traffic. I get an early bus from Collaroy and there are times when it takes about 40 minutes, but it would also easily take an hour just a little bit later. I like my journey to work but I am a few minutes from the bus stop both ends so it is an uncomplicated journey. I would be ok with a slightly longer bus ride, from Mona Vale for example, but not if I then had to change onto another bus at the end of it to complete the journey. I think this sounds like it would get pretty tiring quite quickly.

I think the journey from Mona Vale to Alexandria wd be tiring too. My commute to Penrith was bearable because I lIve 6 mins from Central and office in Penrith is right by the station but even with the slow train that is 70 min on train plus 15 or so walking at both ends. If I had to get a bus too I wd probably drive (& that is loathsome journey too!)

I remember in UK I could drive to work in 20 mins but public transport - bus and train took up to 90 mins with waiting for bus at station going home.

Some people don't mInd the commute but it seems such a waste of one's life if one can avoid it!?

Archived