Moving back home to UK

michellenjohn

:biggrin:Hi There, If anybody can help, just joined the site as we have decided we want to move back home to UK, been living in oz for over 6yrs now. Miss too much !!!!

Can any body advise on moving money back? or recommend a good company??

Any advise will help, thanks michelle

We have used HIFX in the past and are intending to use them again when we move back (after 6 years here like you). There are other companies similar I am sure, but my experience is with them. No issues and very prompt service. Just FYI too, we're you planning on using a removals/shipping company at all? We have just signed with Wridgways and they use HIFX so you can get a discounted exchange with them. Wridgways were one of the cheapest to quote for our removals/shipping. Good luck with it all!

Hi there, thanks for that, sounds good for HIFX,

yes we have done the rounds with the removal/ shipping and so far had been impressed with Grace.

But will check out wridgways thanks.

Think 6yrs is long enough to know I am never going to settle in oz!!!

Thanks again, its alot more stressfull going back than coming here........

Thanks for reply, we been living in NSW about 90min drive from sydney,

and are moving back to the midlands, but we will be taking all the things we love about oz with us, eg, we will live in the countryside, like here not in a city again. But hopefully nothing will be anymore than a 20min drive away..

Just really miss England can't explain, maybe its just home.

Why are you leaving?

Thanks again michelle

We came out here because we could, just me and the OH. Had an adventure. I have never settled here and always been terribly homesick. Had a baby last year and we have some family members who are not well. Had to do the mercy dash back to the UK last October (I flew solo a couple of days after the OH with a 6 week old!!). Father in law survived, but made us realise how much the family needed us, and us them. Especially with the baby, we feel its time to go home and share her with the family! No regrets about coming, amazed that we stayed as long as we have, but it's time we returned. I'm excited but also prepared that's it's not going to be easy to slot back into life as we left it. I am the same, England is just home.

Good luck with it all, it seems there is definitely more to organise going back the other way! Especially with a little person to factor in to things!!

House sold! Only on the market 10 days - offer still subject to finance but quietly celebrating!

I know exactly what you mean about missing England, or in our class Scotland. It isn't about people it is a deep sense of attachment to landscape and culture. It feels almost ancestral like the land belongs to me (I bet I sound crazy now!). A sense of place that doesn't exist for my here.

I have very elderly parents too and though that was the case 5 years ago when we moved out it seemed worth the sacrifice then 'for a better life' but it isn't a better life at all so it feels unfair to deny them their only child and grandchild!

We came out here because we could, just me and the OH. Had an adventure. I have never settled here and always been terribly homesick. Had a baby last year and we have some family members who are not well. Had to do the mercy dash back to the UK last October (I flew solo a couple of days after the OH with a 6 week old!!). Father in law survived, but made us realise how much the family needed us, and us them. Especially with the baby, we feel its time to go home and share her with the family! No regrets about coming, amazed that we stayed as long as we have, but it's time we returned. I'm excited but also prepared that's it's not going to be easy to slot back into life as we left it. I am the same, England is just home.

Good luck with it all, it seems there is definitely more to organise going back the other way! Especially with a little person to factor in to things!!

Really loved reading some of your past posts and many other peoples too !!

It really helps put into words what I have been feeling, its been a real hard descision to admit, oz doesn't work for us, and so many people say why ? are u mad? there is so much I miss and long for, its been a real big thing for us to say we are going home, but it just feels so right. I know things won't be the same, as when we left as people do move on and at the end of the day we left them. But I truely belive we can be much happier in UK even with the weather !! Just exchanged contracts on house, with just a finance clause in place for the next 2wks, then hope to be able to go home. Best news is is hopefully will be home for july when my dad b'day and he will be 65 !! Wont have to miss another family thing, unless i want too now ha ha

Hope I am replying correctly to this as new on here?

Thanks again for good advise michelle:biggrin:

House sold! Only on the market 10 days - offer still subject to finance but quietly celebrating!

I know exactly what you mean about missing England, or in our class Scotland. It isn't about people it is a deep sense of attachment to landscape and culture. It feels almost ancestral like the land belongs to me (I bet I sound crazy now!). A sense of place that doesn't exist for my here.

I have very elderly parents too and though that was the case 5 years ago when we moved out it seemed worth the sacrifice then 'for a better life' but it isn't a better life at all so it feels unfair to deny them their only child and grandchild!

Hi Jules, really know how u feel, definetly not crazy!!

Funny how we thought we were coming out for a better life, but didn't realise that we already had a pretty good one!!

That grass is not always greener at all.... But we do not regret giving it a try and would of always wondered what IF and we're not the type of people to do that you have to give it a go.

We are in the same position now with our house sale, hoping to get the buyers valuer out next week and can't wait to get it all confirmed !!!

Such a stressful time.

We were told to try Perth, as we hadn't settled where we were, people said it was more like england??? Compared to sydney

Thanks for the replys, hope I am repling correctly:biggrin:

Hi Jules, really know how u feel, definetly not crazy!!

Funny how we thought we were coming out for a better life, but didn't realise that we already had a pretty good one!!

That grass is not always greener at all.... But we do not regret giving it a try and would of always wondered what IF and we're not the type of people to do that you have to give it a go.

We are in the same position now with our house sale, hoping to get the buyers valuer out next week and can't wait to get it all confirmed !!!

Such a stressful time.

We were told to try Perth, as we hadn't settled where we were, people said it was more like england??? Compared to sydney

Thanks for the replys, hope I am repling correctly:biggrin:

Yes, you are replying correctly :)

We have wondered if we had headed somewhere other than Perth whether it would have turned out differently but having been to most of the major cities and met people who have lived in them who are now in Perth I have come to the conclusion that they are far more similar to each other than any UK cities. If I didn't have my son, I might be tempted to give New Zealand a try but I think it's too risky - maybe in 10 years when he's flown the nest :)

I doubt I would ever move anywhere else 'for good' again but there still might be another adventure or two in me!

Even on our reccie in Perth we had our doubts but were scared of living with 'what if's' I think it is actually the braver choice. I did regret it for a while but the housing market has turned just in time for us to go back financially not much far behind where we'd have been anyway if we'd stayed put so it is a bit more palatable. personally we have learnt so much that there is every chance the rest of our lives will be happier as a result.

Good work on the house, the gods must have been looking down on us that weekend as we sold too, within 10 days of being on the market and for the asking price. And like you, financially it will be ok :) We are subject to finance, so keeping everything crossed that it all goes through because yesterday, I booked our flights!!! Whoop!

Good work on the house, the gods must have been looking down on us that weekend as we sold too, within 10 days of being on the market and for the asking price. And like you, financially it will be ok :) We are subject to finance, so keeping everything crossed that it all goes through because yesterday, I booked our flights!!! Whoop!

:biggrin:

OMG, great news on house, when are your flights booked for?

What part of UK r u going back to?

FINGERS AND TOES crossed for u !!!!

:biggrin: OMG, great news on house, when are your flights booked for? What part of UK r u going back to? FINGERS AND TOES crossed for u !!!!

flights booked for July 4th, back to East Anglia, Suffolk. It's really not long! I have a house to organise, eek! How about you guys? Have you a date that you are leaving?

Reading this post makes us realize that more pople feel like us at the moment. we have had mixed feelings recently and are unsure as to the best course of action to take. we really wish the people good luck, who have decided to move back to the UK? t the end of the day you need to do what is best for you and what will make you feel better. we wish you the very best nand hope that it all works out for you.

flights booked for July 4th, back to East Anglia, Suffolk. It's really not long! I have a house to organise, eek! How about you guys? Have you a date that you are leaving?

I hope all goes well, how exciting to have the flights booked!!!

I still trying to keep my excitment under wraps until have finance confirmed...aahh...on house sale

So we are waiting for all that to be sorted before get flights. But really hoping for the end of June ish..

Is Suffolk where you were originally from?

But your family are real pleased !!

Good luck with house sale :biggrin:

Reading this post makes us realize that more pople feel like us at the moment. we have had mixed feelings recently and are unsure as to the best course of action to take. we really wish the people good luck, who have decided to move back to the UK? t the end of the day you need to do what is best for you and what will make you feel better. we wish you the very best nand hope that it all works out for you.

Hi there,

How long have you been here?

Did you ever settle or feel at home here?

Thanks for the good wishes.

Reading some of the posts and threads can help with your own thoughts,

by reading some of the clever wording and definition, of what you might be thinking and misssing, written by others I think can really help.

But in the end its all about how you feel deep down, big decisions...

We found it an even harder decision to move back home, then coming here in the first place.

Hi there,

How long have you been here?

Did you ever settle or feel at home here?

Thanks for the good wishes.

Reading some of the posts and threads can help with your own thoughts,

by reading some of the clever wording and definition, of what you might be thinking and misssing, written by others I think can really help.

But in the end its all about how you feel deep down, big decisions...

We found it an even harder decision to move back home, then coming here in the first place.

Hi there, thanks for the reply, we will email you and chat.

Guest guest74886
:biggrin:Hi There, If anybody can help, just joined the site as we have decided we want to move back home to UK, been living in oz for over 6yrs now. Miss too much !!!!

Can any body advise on moving money back? or recommend a good company??

Any advise will help, thanks michelle

Have found HIFX good also, their rates are good,for banks try TSB Isle of Man

Another vote for HiFx. When we moved a couple of weeks ago they offered the best rate of the 4-5 dealers I rang. Process smooth and good website.

Still cried at the exchange rate though.

Whereas you'll be laughing...

Great thanks for that, I take it you have just arrived here !!

Hoping the rate will help us as we have made a loss on our property....

Then there be the shipping costs back again

Never mind been one hell of an experience :biggrin:

Archived