Luggage

Guest lulum1986

Guest lulum1986

Just a quick question. Prob more for the girls. What on earth do you pack to take on a WHV? Just wondering how do you pack your life into a case? Lol. Isit only 20kgs you can take?

Wow, that website is very good.

When we went travelling we only had backpacks. We made a pile of things, halved it, halved it and then halved it again. You will still take too much. T strap tops, shorts, light trousers, light shirts, underwear (we had enough for 2 weeks). Take a couple of things for going somewhere decent in the evening, otherwise really casual. If you are going through Asia, you can prob pick up a few things there also. Take a roll up waterproof jacket and a warmer fleecy one. OK, fleeces are not the trendiest of things to wear, but are easy to wash and dry and will keep you warm.

We also sent a parcel to Oz ahead of us containing our work clothes that we would not need whilst travelling about and was not that expensive, we sent it by sea. If you are spending enough time in Asia, you could always have a couple of suits made and then send on to Aus. Our mate did that. I would recommend getting a tinted moisturiser rather than worry about cream and foundation if you wear it. Also, when you are flying, wear the heaviest things, i.e. walking boots and heavier items of clothing.

I love my bits and pieces and am a real shopafrolic and I lived out of a backpack for a year:biggrin:

Have Fun xx

Guest lulum1986

Thank you so much :) I have family living in Sydney. Do you think I could send a parcel of work clothes to their address ready? As I will be working as a nurse out there. Ten collect it when I'm there. Then send it back home when I'm due to come home? Do you know any companies? Xx

Depending on how much your sending try this site http://www.transglobal.org.uk/default.asp there are plenty of options on there and they can be quite cheap.

I had to send out two boxes and used UPS Express Saver through this site. It cost me £165 for 45kg. Took less than a week from picking up at my house to arriving at my friends house here. I did send a couple of parcels out using the Royal Mail, but that cost me around £50-60 for around 4-5kg.

Guest lulum1986

I just looked at qantas and they said from feb 2013, 30kgs allowance? Don't know if read that right.

also maylasia airlines who I flew with in 2011 for a hol to Sydney are 30kgs now & hang luggage of 7kgs and a hand bag. Whereas they didn't have this before :)

Just a quick question. Prob more for the girls. What on earth do you pack to take on a WHV? Just wondering how do you pack your life into a case? Lol. Isit only 20kgs you can take?[/quote

A rucksack for starters - not a suitcase! Roll your clothes, not fold (reduces creasing and you get more in!) and take travel towels as opposed to to proper thick towels! They wash and dry quickly and take up next to no room! Do some trial runs of packing your rucksack before the 'final' pack! Try to get a small travel hair dryer (i had a great babyliss one (although was 10 years ago) it was so small but worked perfectly well!

Also, you may well find that you're priorities change when over there and which in a strange way makes half the things in your rucksack less important!

Enjoy it! Guaranteed it will be one of the best years (or 2) of your life!

I went travelling with my then boyfriend (now hubby) 10 years ago and it was simply amazing! After that amazing year, we both said we wanted to move to Australia - FINALLY, we are doing it in August this year with our 3 kids and pooch! Cannot wait! It's a life changing place!!!!!!!

x

Guest lulum1986
Just a quick question. Prob more for the girls. What on earth do you pack to take on a WHV? Just wondering how do you pack your life into a case? Lol. Isit only 20kgs you can take?[/quote

A rucksack for starters - not a suitcase! Roll your clothes, not fold (reduces creasing and you get more in!) and take travel towels as opposed to to proper thick towels! They wash and dry quickly and take up next to no room! Do some trial runs of packing your rucksack before the 'final' pack! Try to get a small travel hair dryer (i had a great babyliss one (although was 10 years ago) it was so small but worked perfectly well!

Also, you may well find that you're priorities change when over there and which in a strange way makes half the things in your rucksack less important!

Enjoy it! Guaranteed it will be one of the best years (or 2) of your life!

I went travelling with my then boyfriend (now hubby) 10 years ago and it was simply amazing! After that amazing year, we both said we wanted to move to Australia - FINALLY, we are doing it in August this year with our 3 kids and pooch! Cannot wait! It's a life changing place!!!!!!!

x

Thanks for your reply. The only thing I'm concerned about is, ill be working as a nurse when I'm there so I need to take uniform etc thats why I was gonna take a case. How do you fit everything in a rucksack lol?

wow your moving there? That's brill :) bet you can't wait. August is not long now :) you got everything sorted?

If you're going to be pretty settled when you are there then take a suitcase!!!!!!! LOL!

Haven't tried them myself but i have been looking at vac packs!!!! They seem pretty nifty for reducing volume but of course weight will still be the same!!!!

Getting sorted for our giant move! Full of excitement and then feel like having a cry! Going to be tough saying bye to my parents and sisters but i know it's the right thing to do! Got a plan to slowly chip away at them all to move out to us! Unlikely i know! Our dog is get to fly on 28th July. We are following 5th Aug. Feels like there is still a lot to do and organise but we are getting there!

Good luck with your trip and plans! Where you heading?

I took a suitcase out there (went to friends for first two weeks), then I bought a bag which I could drag on wheels, it was only about $50 from a camping shop. I left the empty suitcase stored at my friends and after a year, sent it back by sea full of stuff I'd bought and wanted to keep. I did what Candygirl advises! I didn't take too many clothes either which turned out to be a good thing - you have a better idea of what you need when you get here. I bought a little hairdryer - but ended up ditching it after a bit - just didn't use it. I would say try and stick to the 20kgs, because if you are travelling around a lot (like I did) domestic flights and trains only have an allowance of 20kgs - and it is surprising what you can get in! It's amazing at how good you become at guessing the weight of your bag too (I was constantly buying little things, got given clothes etc and had to leave things) - I was always spot on at around 20kgs!! I too wore my heaviest and bulkiest items going out there including my lovely boots - I looked a state getting out of the airport when it was 39 degrees!! haha. I must say, I got a lot of admiring looks for my bag - while others struggled with their backpacks - I just pulled my bag along. I love that bag. My friends mum uses it now for her trips over there! :)

Guest lulum1986
If you're going to be pretty settled when you are there then take a suitcase!!!!!!! LOL!

Haven't tried them myself but i have been looking at vac packs!!!! They seem pretty nifty for reducing volume but of course weight will still be the same!!!!

Getting sorted for our giant move! Full of excitement and then feel like having a cry! Going to be tough saying bye to my parents and sisters but i know it's the right thing to do! Got a plan to slowly chip away at them all to move out to us! Unlikely i know! Our dog is get to fly on 28th July. We are following 5th Aug. Feels like there is still a lot to do and organise but we are getting there!

Good luck with your trip and plans! Where you heading?

To be honest I ain't got a clue what I'm doing. I'm going to Sydney and that will be my main base. I want to head to Cairns and head down the east coast at some point. Haven't made any definite plans.

good luck with all your plans too :):)

Guest lulum1986
I took a suitcase out there (went to friends for first two weeks), then I bought a bag which I could drag on wheels, it was only about $50 from a camping shop. I left the empty suitcase stored at my friends and after a year, sent it back by sea full of stuff I'd bought and wanted to keep. I did what Candygirl advises! I didn't take too many clothes either which turned out to be a good thing - you have a better idea of what you need when you get here. I bought a little hairdryer - but ended up ditching it after a bit - just didn't use it. I would say try and stick to the 20kgs, because if you are travelling around a lot (like I did) domestic flights and trains only have an allowance of 20kgs - and it is surprising what you can get in! It's amazing at how good you become at guessing the weight of your bag too (I was constantly buying little things, got given clothes etc and had to leave things) - I was always spot on at around 20kgs!! I too wore my heaviest and bulkiest items going out there including my lovely boots - I looked a state getting out of the airport when it was 39 degrees!! haha. I must say, I got a lot of admiring looks for my bag - while others struggled with their backpacks - I just pulled my bag along. I love that bag. My friends mum uses it now for her trips over there! :)

That sounds like a good idea. I have family there too so I could leave my suitcase there.,its so exciting :) I want to to go now lol. How much money did you take?

That sounds like a good idea. I have family there too so I could leave my suitcase there.,its so exciting :) I want to to go now lol. How much money did you take?

I managed to save about £5,500 which pretty much lasted me for six months travelling - then I worked for six months (managing to save enough to go around SE Asia). Then I came home - a few months later I came back to Aus (with no money - but intending to do it the other way round, and work for first six months and saved about £6,000 to travel rest of Aus). Worked out quite well for me - although was a bit scary coming back in with no money!!

To be honest I ain't got a clue what I'm doing. I'm going to Sydney and that will be my main base. I want to head to Cairns and head down the east coast at some point. Haven't made any definite plans.

good luck with all your plans too :):)

I also didn't have any plans - stayed at my friends house in Perth for two weeks (took about a week to get over jetlag, not known anything like it!), then I got on the computer, just looked for the cheapest flight - and it was Brisbane!! Then worked my way down. It is exciting - wish I could do it again :)

I managed to save about £5,500 which pretty much lasted me for six months travelling - then I worked for six months (managing to save enough to go around SE Asia). Then I came home - a few months later I came back to Aus (with no money - but intending to do it the other way round, and work for first six months and saved about £6,000 to travel rest of Aus). Worked out quite well for me - although was a bit scary coming back in with no money!!

You lasted 6 months travelling on £5,500???? Wow, it cost me more than that in 3 months......

Archived