In Perth wanting to move to Sydney

K8kte

I have been living in Perth for a year with my hubby and two young children. It has been lovely and I fully understand why people can happily settle here. However the lack of evening activity and housing expansion without putting in more 'activities' is not suiting us. I worry as to how my children will grow up without entering the mining later on etc.

I do not want to upset those who are happy there, it is just not for us! :-)

So we are looking to go to Sydney, we havent been before so I am looking for guidance on good areas for both primary and secondary schools whilst being within commute of the city (I am a graphic designer, hubby an electrician).

Can anyone give me a heads up on good areas that are lovely suburbs but within 30mins of activities?

Would really appreciate any input :-)

Well there are really hundreds of suburbs around Sydney. You need to narrow this down a bit, what kind of budget do you have for rent or buying? What do you mean 30 minutes of activities? What activities? There are surely activities everywhere though aren't there? I would not pick your area by school, but rather pick your area and then find a suitable school, because there are going to be good and less good schools everywhere.

Well there are really hundreds of suburbs around Sydney. You need to narrow this down a bit, what kind of budget do you have for rent or buying? What do you mean 30 minutes of activities? What activities? There are surely activities everywhere though aren't there? I would not pick your area by school, but rather pick your area and then find a suitable school, because there are going to be good and less good schools everywhere.

Hi Rupert,

Budget for renting $700pw / $550k to buy

By activities I mean parks, bars/pubs, parks, swimming.

Where I am at the moment I have lovely parks and beaches yet no evening nightlife or anywhere you can go for a really nice evening stroll.

Just want a gentle balance,..if it exists!

Regarding schooling where I am, currently the best secondary schools are all private and not government based (government ones have a v bad rep locally). I have got used to this having to be the case so I am hoping government schools will be better over the other side?

Thank you!

Sydney is pretty built up and finding bars / pubs / parks etc is not going to be hard, you certainly don't need to worry about being within a 30 minutes drive! If you drove for 30 minutes you would pass through numerous suburbs that would all have these types of things.

Edit: I have deleted my comments on what rental budget could stretch to as I was commenting on original $1200 per week which has been changed to $700 per week.

Archived