Import mountain bikes

Guest Pobman

Guest chrissy63

Hi

We have been told by our removel guys to just jet wash our bikes and garden stuff really well, make sure they are really clean and they will spray them with some disenfectant type spray. Our neighbours were Oz citizens and came over to UK for a while they took pretty much everything and just made sure it was really clean.

We brought ours over and did the same we just jet washed them and cleaned all the tyres then washed them down with Jeyes fluid and they were passed through customs without a hitch. We used jeyes on all our garden furniture etc and that was all passed as well.

If you're tyres are just too dirty to wash down we were advised to just take them off clean the rest of the bike and buy brand new tyres when we got here. Cheaper than buying a new bike!!!

We used Muck Off to clean our bikes and they came through with no problems!

Felicity:cute:

Muck off is so brilliant isn't it! My OH got it by the gallon load for his birthday back in Nov when our plans were still going well. Everyone decided it was the best possible gift for him - useful and all that!!! course it was also pay back for buying me an electric bl**dy drill!!! hehe!!!

On a serious note, our shippers said spray/wipe everything thats been outside with Jeyes cos it stinks and as soon as they open the container/boxes they will smell the stuff and pass it straight through!! after of course, cleaning it beforehand

Lyn x

Guest dave&donna

but if you use jeyes won't everything smell of it??? clothes and all that which are in the container if it's sealed up for so long???

Donna

but if you use jeyes won't everything smell of it??? clothes and all that which are in the container if it's sealed up for so long???

Donna

God I hope not!!!!!!!!!!!! :twitcy:

I think cos everything is packaged in separate sealed boxes within the container it should be OK, ...... so as long as your clothes, linen etc dont get put in the same boxes as your bike all should be OK :huh:

Lyn x

We used Jeyes on all our garden stuff, bikes etc as our packers said exactly the same and nope none of the clothes or furniture smelt of it. That sort of stuff is packed last so when they open the container its the first thing they see and smell plus its the things that they are looking for which hopefully means they won't go through all of your boxes and it gets passed quicker. Remember when packing your suitcases to put your shoes in last and wash all the soles as they check these at the airport so if they can just pop open the case it saves you having all your clothes spread all over the airport counter.

I was planning on taking the bikes actually with me, not shipping them. I have nothing to ship from the UK except two bikes (and some clothes by then) all the rest of my stuff is in Russia. I already transported them once like that from Canada where I originally bought them so should be fine I thought.

I am only flying from the UK as there is more choice of flights than from Russia (though we have Thai airways now and soon perhaps Air AsiaX) and if we take our dog we have to take him via the UK as Russia is not on the AQIS list.

Archived