White and Company - The story so far!!

lara24

Im very worried now and have only just read this post,i just had white and co pack my stuff up and,my move is slightly different from most,i wanted to empty my house as much as i could so i can get some jobs done around house and the other reason my place is in a very busy street and is not ideal place to move from so i stuck my stuff in a few containers,Lets says i have a lot of stuff,a lot of smaller stuff as well,and a lot of items i placed in box of my own,they are not that strong,but i just did this to get everything out the house and yes wrapped some items and some not,as i knew that the shippers would be coming to pack.

On the day they yes did wrap up furniture and stuff i temp wrapped until they came but there was many items i had new just left as is and many of the boxes of stuff i had already placed in boxes just left as is,I said dont you wrap and pack these up as well they said it would take them ages,as i said i did have a lot of smaller stuff also more than most would take.

They just opened boxes and checked inside and placed a bit of paper inside box and that was it,i wonder where i stand when it comes to insurance,i did not take there insurance but another company and now im worried i maybe not covered.I asked whats that on the boxes nearer the end or when they where about to load container and it said pbo on box,packed by owner,is this a way for them to get out of not insurance claims not im thinking they should have taken all items out of my boxes and wrapped and packed again but they did not,i have took insurance and again taken out cover for more than most would take out to cover all my items i was takeing but i may not be covered with a lot of the items.

I also have items i have owned for several years etc and i had asked them to unpack and pack again so it does not appear to be new,but they left as is and said be ok,there are looking for things like washing machines,fridges etc,they also said that customs probably only open a few boxes from front and leave rest as i have a 40ft container and they not bother going through all that and that they would never be able to pack it all back in like they did again.

I did not even have the chance to clean our pram and buggy wheels,i said leave them back and i do that while the packed other stuff,before i knew it was already packed etc,they again said dont worry about it been watching to much tv on customs etc.

I am not starting to worry maybe my service or they way they went about all this was all good,i did watch them pack and wrap all my other items like sofa,home bar and black glass items etc etc and they did not cut costs on them with packing etc.

I take even if they opened a box and sealed up again they be liable or anything in them boxes right?

I also asked what happens when the container goes over there does this get all taken out and put into another container or or truck and container goes back on boat or does the container not move from port as they told me the same container goes to my property over there and gets empty from there is this right,i feel they may have rushed this a little and told me a few fibs along the way,they also both days did not show up till 10:30 as they are based 2 hours away,i would have thought they would have came or left sooner so they started the job sooner,first day they arrived just after 10:30am and went back just after 3pm but end of the day they still did the whole job in the 2 and half days they had to do it in,yes it was a 40ft container.

Pickfords have now packed up our house contents. Fantastic team at the Scottish end. Very professional. I had thought I was getting a head start by packing books in small boxes etc but they were all unpacked and re packed by them. Apparently that way they are all put in the same size cartons and the packers can verify what was in the boxes. It will probably be August before our container arrives in Oz so I am hoping the service will be equally good at this end. Huge thanks to those that gave the heads up about how fast they go through the house. I was able to put aside everything I didn't want packed before they arrived. Basically, if its in front of them, it will be wrapped and packed before you can blink!

bwatt99 We used White & Co and filled a 40ft container. Our belongings arrived in 2 x 20ft containers. This is because when customs check it at the port here, they quite often get the whole lot unloaded onto a concrete area, check it over, then repack it. The company at this end decided to repack it into 2 smaller ones to free up the Maersk 40ft one sooner and for ease of delivery. The container wasn't opened until Perth though. Even if it arrives in the same container, the chances are it will have been unloaded and reloaded here.

Fantastic news!!!

White & Co are the cheapest quote we have so far. I am keen to go with them as they are "one of the ones mentioned quite a bit on PIO", but don't like to go with the cheapest. Anyone else got any comments on White & Co?

Candygirl We used Whites too. Had a 40ft container to ourselves. Much cheaper than competitors (so much so that we were very suspicious). Kept us informed all the time. Good advice from them. Fantastic packers - worked really hard. The only item broken during the pack was by my dog, and it was my fault for putting a china item on the floor. Would recommend them.

Candygirl We used Whites too. Had a 40ft container to ourselves. Much cheaper than competitors (so much so that we were very suspicious). Kept us informed all the time. Good advice from them. Fantastic packers - worked really hard. The only item broken during the pack was by my dog, and it was my fault for putting a china item on the floor. Would recommend them.

Thanks for the advice. The lady I was dealing with at Whites explained that the Manager had got involved and "messed" the quote up so that was why the quote changed. In view of the fact that our house sale has now fallen through, we are not in a position to instruct anyone at the moment. We have just put our items into storage today and we paid for the storage guys to pack the lorry for us. Thank God we did. It was hard work and they only just got everything in and that was them packing (experts). I am almost certain that when we are ready again we will go with Whites. They explained that they do not deliver the container to us like other companies. They take our items away on a lorry and pack the container in their depot and their quote is comparable with shippers who will just deliver the container and leave it with us for 3 hours to pack it so will make life a lot easier for us.

Apologies for being off-line for a bit. We arrived in Perth 10 days ago with 2 young kids so life has been manic to say the least. I will do an arrival report when I get a minute but as promised update on our container shipment.

Our container was due in Fremantle yesterday, Kent International contacted us today to confirm it had arrived, asked us to complete the final piece of paperwork and to give our delivery address. Just customs clearance and delivery to go - can't wait to get all my stuff back!!