457 visa & house buying

Karlewi

Our friends are currently applying for a 457 visa in WA. They have been advised that they would not be able to buy a property for at least three months after they arrive. Can anybody confirm whether that is correct or not.

I'm not sure whether the rules are different depending upon the type of visa you have. We are applying for a 163 Business Skills Visa, however we are thinking of renting at first.

Thank you

Karen :jiggy:

Guest JoanneHattersley

we came on a 457 to QLD and rented for 18 months. You can buy but you have to get permission from the FIRB. Your realestate agent will handle this and it is free, quick and easy!

Guest Mrs Braveheart

Hi

On a 457 you can buy straight away. However you need to gain approval from the Foreign Investment Review Board (FIRB) You dont get the first time buyers grant of $7000 & have to pay stamp duty which approx for a $425 000 house is another $17 000. Deposit on this is approx $80 000. We got approval for our mortgage withing 2 months of being here but decided to leave it until after 6 months renting.

Janette

That's perfect and exactly how I understood it. Unfortunately our friend has a sister in Perth and she thinks she knows it all and is completely widing our friends up - so the moral of this story is our friends should start asking people like yourselves questions who have got recent/relevant experience rather than listen to somebody who has lived in Perth for over 20 years.

Thanks very much for that.

Karen

Guest Mrs Braveheart

Hi Karen

Well yes as all visas are different & a sis being there for 20 years might no the place well but as for visas & the different kinds & benefits etc well no she aint gotta clue :wub:

Janette

Guest martin948

hi

when you get a job offer then visa how do you find somewhere to live before you get there myself wife and 5 yr old son hope to get to aus brisbane by august but how do you get somewhere to live? its doin our heads in.. i got a interview over phone tonight from aus at 1am

bye for now

good thread

Hi Martin

Our friends and us have been to Perth a number of times therefore we know where abouts we want to live and what the areas are like. One of the places you could try looking is realestate.com they have both rental and houses to buy. Also we don't have young children to worry about with regards to schools - my son is 18 and therefore will drive to Uni.

I would suggest starting a new thread and asking about rental etc in Brisbane, I'm sure you will got loads of response.

Good luck with the interview this evening.

Karen

Archived