Complete Noob, hoping to find a straigh(ish) Answer!

Sam Richardson

Hi there All,

first a bit of back-story. I am british, moved to Tenerife for 7 Years, and have now come back to the UK. Had always wanted to visit Oz and in feb finally got out there for a holiday after years waiting to. Love the country and would love to be able to move out there either permanently or for at least a year.

I am working for a rapidly expanding tech business who could well be interested in setting up an office in Australia.

I have already looked into the business side of things, which although it seems lengthy, also seems to make sense. so that part i'm not too worries about

I have looked into skilled Visas, employer sponsored, etc ad nauseum and have ended up in a full circle!

Basically I am a tech guy - web developer, tech support, project management, office support, pre sales etc. I'm also a boat guy - fixer/repairer, designer, maintainer, and thats what my degree is related to...

Any help would be amazing!

Cheers

Sam

I guess it comes down to two things:

1. What's on the skilled occupation list? Or are both your profession streams there? If it's only one of them then you've got only one option to pursue.

2. If you have the option, which is easier to prove? Or what would help you claim the most points? (make sure you can evidence it though)

Both are on there,

Boat Builder and Repairer 399111 TRA

Developer Programmer 261312 ACS

Software Engineer 261313 ACS

They are both very easy to prove - basically my work history is these two things...along with references, examples, etc - and I will now head off over to the assessing authorities to have a look round there.

I'm guessing (from experience and common sense) that finding an employer willing and able to sponsor me from over here is incredibly unlikely, so i guess its either get my current job to send me over there including visa, or get going and get over there myself - through skilled independant Visa.

Yup, you got it in one. I've been speaking to a recruitment guy who I'm working with to try and get some gainful employment before I leave. His opinion is: that there are a lot of people (esp. from the UK) looking for sponsorship, assistance, relocation etc; and there are not many employers (outside mining/oil & gas) willing to take that risk. If you pursue a 189 yourself it'll put you in a good position employment wise (unless your company are setting up over there) as it shows you've got some drive to make things happen. According to this guy (although it might be him trying to butter me up) it was quite refreshing to see someone who had undertaken the process themselves.

The other thing I would give as a bit of advice, even though you don't need it, book and pass IELTS at 7s or better. The points will really help.

Are you qualified in any of these? A degree?

If you don't have an IT degree the ACS assessment is quite arduous - you have to do an RPL to prove you are at the same standard as a graduate across multiple domains.

Hi again,

Yeah, i do have a degree - but as you noticed - not related to my actual current occupation. My degree is a Bsc in Marine sports Technology, that covered areas such as design, manufacture, maintainence and repair of any water based craft or product, naval architecture, business, and sports science.

When you say

you have to do an RPL to prove you are at the same standard as a graduate across multiple domains
does that mean before getting to the actual ACS assesment?

am open to all options - and have had a read through lots of threads on here.

Looks like a few people have gone out on a WHV, stayed employed by their uk company and worked remotely - which would be fine considering the role i currently hold. that would obviously only be for under a year - so that i dont stop being a tax resident of the uk - but would it work as far as Oz is concerned - i have my doubts about that as the WHV is only for casual work?

I don't know how much of a long-shot this might be , but it is apparently possible to do a self-sponsored 457 Business Visa if for instance you were planning to set up a business of your own. What you would need is a very good MARA-reg'd agent for advice...both wrussell & Alan Collett -agents who post on here have mentioned this in the past.... hope I've got that right so far; just thought it might be worth exploring.

Have you checked whether you meet the points score for a skilled independent visa via SkillSelect 189 / 190?

Hi there - yes i have, a rough guess - having not taken the IELTS yet (working on that now), means i should have 67 or 77 points.

I know this goes off track a bit - but what is the difference between SOL and CSOL? Am i right in thinking that basically CSOL is for employer sponsored, and SOL is for independant? in which case there are a lot more options for sponsorship assuming you can find a position!?

the self sponsored 457 sounds interesting as well if it's possible!?

First off, points don't come in 7's as far as I know, what is your score breakdown?

sil you can apply for an independent visa, state or employer sponsores. Csol you can apply for state or employer sponsored.

The self sponsored 457 thing is very tricky, and not many people here have experience of it. You would really need to pay a mara agent to sit down with your company profile and personal info to see if that was even an option. For most it isn't.

First off, points don't come in 7's as far as I know, what is your score breakdown?

sil you can apply for an independent visa, state or employer sponsores. Csol you can apply for state or employer sponsored.

The self sponsored 457 thing is very tricky, and not many people here have experience of it. You would really need to pay a mara agent to sit down with your company profile and personal info to see if that was even an option. For most it isn't.

Yeah! you're right.. points breakdown is as follows:

IELTS: 20

skilled employment: 10

Education - bachelors degree: 15

total of 75 points - was allowing for IELTS of 10 or 20..

How do you get state sponsorhip? i never really understood that part!?

You look on the list for each state and see who is sponsoring for what (just google csol and each states name). If your job is there I think you click on state sponsorship for that state in the expression of interest, but I'm not 100% on that one.

Archived