Carpenters In Oz

oldgit

Guest Working to fish
G'day

I am a qualified Carpenter & Joiner with many years experiance. I know when I go to Oz I may need to get various licences to work but will I need to gain a qualification there as well?

We will be going to NSW.

Cheers

The oldgit

Hi oldgit

simon all i can say as i sit here in oz ,all you will need is a blue card ,i have phoned for a couple of jobs so far ,and am sure i am right .I have been speaking to a cabinetmaker here in oz and he tells me that i should wait and not get a blue card until i find work ,as the boss would want you to work for them ,he would sort your blue card.

There is a lot of work about so no worry,s there.

eddie.

Not started work yet ,but will let you know how i get on.:)

Hi oldgit

simon all i can say as i sit here in oz ,all you will need is a blue card ,i have phoned for a couple of jobs so far ,and am sure i am right .I have been speaking to a cabinetmaker here in oz and he tells me that i should wait and not get a blue card until i find work ,as the boss would want you to work for them ,he would sort your blue card.

There is a lot of work about so no worry,s there.

eddie.

Not started work yet ,but will let you know how i get on.:)

Cheers Eddie

Thanks for your help mate I have seen a lot of threads saying sparkys are having to go back to college in OZ and I was praying that it was not the same for carpenters. Don't know who I was praying to though I don't believe in any of that stuff !

Anyway Eddie how's it going for you Tina & the kids? Did you manage to keep your mouth shut and keep smiling?

Thanks again for your help mate

Simon

ps Where are you?

Hi

Sorry To Steal The Thread But If Either Of You Could Let Me Know About Retraining For Carpenters As Thats What My Oh Does Thanks.

Also Good Luck With Job Hunting.

Hi

Sorry To Steal The Thread But If Either Of You Could Let Me Know About Retraining For Carpenters As Thats What My Oh Does Thanks.

Also Good Luck With Job Hunting.

Hi Lou

From my understanding of what Eddie has said you do not have to retrain as a carpenter. Hopefully Tommo (another Carpenter) may be looking in and be able to give us some input.

Cheers

the oldgit

hi oldgit

thanks, can i ask how long the process has takin you from start to getting your visa'a, only with have just instructed an agent and wondered how far we have got to go....as much as i no it is worth it..

lou :)

hi oldgit

thanks, can i ask how long the process has takin you from start to getting your visa'a, only with have just instructed an agent and wondered how far we have got to go....as much as i no it is worth it..

lou :)

Hi Lou

It took us 11 months the worst bit is trying to get all your references from old employrs. You are right it will all be worth it.

Good luck

The oldgit

Hi Oldgit,

My oh is a carpenter by trade and here in NSW - he came on his City & Guilds and that was all - do you have City & Guilds,

Gizmo

Hi Gizmo or should I say G'day

It's an NVQ level 2 that I have. It has CITB also City & Guilds plastered on the certificate.

Thanks for any help you may be able to give

The oldgit

Hi oldgit,

Hubby says that he has never had to show his papers to anyone and that CITB is reconised here along with City & guilds and if you have these on your certificate you should be fine & should not need any other qualifacation as regards carpentry but you will need

a Green card Construction induction which is for NSW - just to confuse you more we think the green cards have expired and now they are WHITE CARDS

Blue is for Queensland, these are a safety course allowing you to work on building sites ( hubby updated his a year ago - 4 hour evening course $100)

to become a sub contractor - hubby did have to sit a 12 week course (nsw at tafe) but that was back in 1994 time and they keep moving the goal posts, so we are not sure now on the sub contractors licence

hope this helps a little

cheers

gizmo

Hi oldgit,

Hubby says that he has never had to show his papers to anyone and that CITB is reconised here along with City & guilds and if you have these on your certificate you should be fine & should not need any other qualifacation as regards carpentry but you will need

a Green card Construction induction which is for NSW - just to confuse you more we think the green cards have expired and now they are WHITE CARDS

Blue is for Queensland, these are a safety course allowing you to work on building sites ( hubby updated his a year ago - 4 hour evening course $100)

to become a sub contractor - hubby did have to sit a 12 week course (nsw at tafe) but that was back in 1994 time and they keep moving the goal posts, so we are not sure now on the sub contractors licence

hope this helps a little

cheers

gizmo

Thanks for that Gizmo and please thank your oh you have been a great help

Cheers the oldgit

Archived