Nearly a year into the move

vixxy666

Hi All its been a while and i thought id put my experience down, there right when things are going good you stop coming on here lol

So its been almost a year of living in Rockhampton qld. Its definitely not a place for everyone! Has everything you need and more but some of the mentalities are difficult to get your head around. I have a group of very good friends which I met through work Ive been very lucky as I'm not sure it would have been as easy as it has if i hadn't of met them in saying that i still feel like an outsider at times and miss england and the people there. I have a job but only a contract position and no chance of that changing and no other job prospects for my skills in the area. My partners job (sponsor) is going good although there has been a slow down. Were having to decide on the future and he has made enquiries into transferring to Brisbane as there is more opportunity there for me. Trouble is its very different to our country way of life now i think we'd lose money with them move and of course friends (again :() and we'd not have the nice house and countryside i like here but to have kids I need a permanent job. I don't think finding friends in a big city would be as easy and don't relish the idea of starting over again. I think I'm just having a bit of a wobble after a fantastic visit from my best friend and knowing it will be 18 months till i see her again and family will have been over 2 years. It is very expensive to live here and even more to holiday but wages compensate for this and we are truly better off, if i can keep this job! Anyway I love living here I like the lifestyle and the people but its very different and i do miss a lot from england and i don't know if that will ever go but were committed to the move just not sure of the place we need to live yet. Anyway for anyone moving here really consider the people your leaving if your very close to family I personally wouldn't move to the other side of the world you can get great friends but I don't think thats enough we aren't close to family and lived away from them and still struggle but everyone will do what they feel is right and hopefully it'll work out, Anyway good luck its a big move but it can work out :)

Sounds to me (and please excuse me if I'm wrong)that when you have more secure jobs and found a new place to live,your wobble will more than likely subside!You are experiencing an unsettling period of your lives,but this will only be temporary.Its really ok to miss the UK!You don't have to NOT miss it to settle!:cute:

yeah your right wouldnt matter if we were on the moon until job worries are over ill be wobbling lol Im planning on going into teaching as im a chemist so want to do secondary school maths and science but need PR or the fees are ludicrous so ive got a plan just need to be patient another 18 months and we'll have it and more doors will open :) Thanks

Guest Guest66881

It will work out, take it from me i had a major 'wobble' over and beyond Christmas just gone, i ended up seeing a doctor about how to control my spiralling emotions and angst.

Work is one factor and housing is another, we have been here now two years and a few months we are on our fourth house, second purchased one and it is getting better now, you ask your self all the questions others have asked in the past.

Things like are we doing the right thing, are we happy here, are the kids (if you have any) happy here.

The list is endless but all have a positive out come - what ever you decide to do, sometimes that positive is actually a negative because it is not until you move again or leave that you realise what you had previously, but that's life and the learning curve we all ride.

Getting strong jobs helps, and a good place to live also helps improve your over all moral (i found it so).

Good luck with what ever you end doing or being.

Hi Hon,

Glad to hear that you are all OK, but understand what you mean about having "wobbles" and I am sure these will subside once you are more settled. Our rellies in Rocky have said how bad the weather has been this year and we never thought we would hear them moan about the heat up there!!

Thanks for the update and wishing you the best for the future Lorraine xx

• 4 months later...

I reckon a move to Brisbane would be fine and I have always found people to be v friendly there. We've been in Rocky 8 months and I've not really met many people yet, partly because we end up with hubby's family I think. Hubby less keen to meet new people than me, any tips?

Liz

I reckon a move to Brisbane would be fine and I have always found people to be v friendly there. We've been in Rocky 8 months and I've not really met many people yet, partly because we end up with hubby's family I think. Hubby less keen to meet new people than me, any tips?

Liz

Hey Liz unfortunately our move to Brisbane has not worked out n I have to move back to rocky in the next few weeks were now in the worst position not doing well at all. I've got lots of friends in rocky it does take time but joining groups and clubs help. Feel free to pm me if you want to meet for coffee when im

back :)

Hey Liz unfortunately our move to Brisbane has not worked out n I have to move back to rocky in the next few weeks were now in the worst position not doing well at all. I've got lots of friends in rocky it does take time but joining groups and clubs help. Feel free to pm me if you want to meet for coffee when im

back :)

Sorry to hear that : ( that doesn't sound much fun.

can I be nosey and ask what kind of clubs/ groups you joined? I haven't found much about...so far but prob looking in wrong places! Will pm re coffee x

Archived