selling items (UK)

k8bug79

Hi, i after some ways to sell some of our larger husehold items. Things like sofas and dining tables etc. i am having no joy selling good quality bits. i've tried classifieds, facebook groups and ebay. i think we suffer being down the bottom tip of Cornwall as people just don't want to travel. Need to get a reasonable amount to help set us up in Oz. no point taking them as these are items we'll need straight off and not enugh other bits to pay for a container. anyone know any tricks/ tips?

Gumtree?

As soon as i posted that occured to me so gonna try that, sadly still just "Cornwall" so a lot of peope looking but not many prepared to travel 70 miles. fingers crossed, had sofas advertised for 2 weeks and not a single enquiry :-(

Sunderland. Mind some folks want me to give the stuff away, had an email from one about her friend had no money and was sitting all day in an uncomfortable chair and this wasnt acceptable for someone in their late 50's! I was polite but really wanted to tell them to jog on!

find that with everything. been to carboots where people want me to sell everything for 10p. i know people want a bargain but when i'm selling a barely used item for 25% of new i think they've got one lol. thanks for your suggestion. i'll let you know if i have any joy!

Hi, i after some ways to sell some of our larger husehold items. Things like sofas and dining tables etc. i am having no joy selling good quality bits. i've tried classifieds, facebook groups and ebay. i think we suffer being down the bottom tip of Cornwall as people just don't want to travel. Need to get a reasonable amount to help set us up in Oz. no point taking them as these are items we'll need straight off and not enugh other bits to pay for a container. anyone know any tricks/ tips?

Have you tried noticeboards in shops in your local area? Our local supermarkets have large community boards up as you enter the store and I often see household items advertised on there. Worth a try. I did a car boot last year and vowed never again as people want everything for free!

i looked the other day and couldn't see one but def going to look again. ironic as last night i got an enquiry re sofa but typically wanting me to practically give it away. Did have a 2nd enquiry via ebay so hoping they'll come back to me as that was a bit more realistic.

I've just seen a reply where you say you've tried that. I usually narrow down the area and find I get more joy. So within 10-20 miles of where we live.

Sunderland. Mind some folks want me to give the stuff away, had an email from one about her friend had no money and was sitting all day in an uncomfortable chair and this wasnt acceptable for someone in their late 50's! I was polite but really wanted to tell them to jog on![/quote Hi Sunderland don't want your furniture (sorry ) but am from Sunderland myself where in Oz are you going to ?

My wife's stepfather ran a furniture business, and he confirmed the market for used furniture has collapsed in recent years. With IKEA etc selling inexpensive new furniture people, particularly young people, just do not want someone else's furniture. What you think it is worth, and what the market will pay may be very different.

When my father died 4 years ago we had to pay a house clearance company to take decent furniture away, not them pay us. I sold two beds to a friend who has a few buy-to-let properties. We did give a lot to charity, friends etc.