186 visa

Hi,

I just landed Sydney not long. Just 3 weeks and on 457 visa. I heard alot of latest news regards to the 457 visa which the government is trying to restrict.

I have ielts with average of 6. (6.0,6.0.6.0.7.0)

I am 38 years old next month.

I am a skill worker. Doing IT in a International company.

I am from a low risk country.

I am currently holding a 457 visa. Transfer from overseas to Sydney.

I have a ACS - System Analysts.

I have read about the visa 186 direct entry stream. Not sure whether i am eligible or not?

If i am eligible, what is the next thing to do? Do i need to get approval from my company? Should i continue to wait for 2 years working in my same company and then apply for Transition Stream.

Appreciate for your advise.

Many thanks!

Winson Wong

Your company needs to agree to sponsor you. There is no obligation for a company to sponsor your for PR at any time, even after 2 years.

If they do - you will need a positive skills assessment and 3 years of work experience to go through the Direct Entry Stream. Waiting 2 years just makes you exempt from the skills assessment.

If they are not willing to sponsor you - you could look at getting PR through Skilled Migration by 189.

You may be struggling on points, so maybe worth looking at improving your IELTS score if you need to go down this route.

hi,

When there sponsor me 457 visa, is this consider as sponsoring me? No obligation for a company to sponsor? Which mean that i can just apply by myself without informing my company?

Many thanks!

Winson Wong

There is no obligation for the company to sponsor you for 186, which requires employer sponsorship, which is completely different to the 457 sponsorship.

You can not apply for this visa yourself.

If you want to apply for PR without informing your company you will need to look at 189 or 190.

well it's not a bad thing- you have a job & can work on proving yourself to your company- you have only been there 3 weeks after all! Otherwise there's been some great advice given here about your other options, like working towards a good IELTS score.

i am thinking of working for 1 year to get another extra 5 point.

age=38 score 25

education= UOW = score 15

ielts = score 0

work experience 13 years in the same role = 15

work experience 1 years in Australia = 5

total will be 60 point.

So, i am thinking of applying 189 after 1 years of working in Australia.

I have ACS as System Analysts. Going to expire this November. For this skill Assessment, is there any quota? I remember i need to be nominated by state sponsorship from South Australia to move to Adelaide. That was my last 2 years back visa. Anyway, the visa for South Australia could be ceased as i am getting a 457 visa instead working in Sydney. Is that apply to this visa 189 as well as application will also need to be sure that the quota is not met yet?

Do you think it is fine?

Winson Wong

Archived