What dates are Byford Perth booked up till please Bob

Hi Bob

I have had a quote from louise,( I am the lady whose vet is a friend of yours from vet school )and will contact you to get ball rolling ASAP, but My question is how is Byford for space around mid August? I have not given you the go ahead yet because our visa is still being processed and I figured I would wait till we have that in our sticky paws first before I book my little furry on a flight to the other side of world!

My dog is due for her rabies blood test on 13/3 so we are hoping she can travel to join us in Perth mid Aug which will mean leaving her in uk as we will hopefully be leaving for Perth mid May because it's all happened very quick for us.

But I am getting worried about quarantine spaces, as I will have been separated from her 3 months if we go out in May subject to visa. I can't bear to think we would be risking delaying her further by not getting her place booked. What would you advise? I hope this question will be some help to anyone else planning Byford soon.

Thanks

Edited by Sunset Addict
Mistake

Hi

I know who you are! I think your vet is Potts - she is great.

You are on exactly the right lines and the key thing is for you to get the rabies work done and then once you have the rabies blood samples back then make sure you send us all the info we need to get the permit and then we can get the quarantine space booked. Perth quarantine is in a bit of a pickle at the moment with the bushfires and are going to be closed until May 31st, so we can ask about a space then and you should get a space for August, so it will all work out very well. The only problem is if we dont ask them for space soon enough then you may miss the slot and then the only option is to fly your dog to Sydney and then to an internal flight to Perth which is not very good at all.

Basically, keep doing what you are doing that is the right way to go and i think it will all be ok for a flight in August!

Bob

Thanks Bob for reassuring me I am doing all I can at the moment.

Its just that you get in a panic thinking about all that can go wrong and I was worried about backlogs and spaces etc..... Keeps me awake and it helps to write it doen I guess.

I will give your regards to my brilliant vet Potts when we get the blood work done next Wed and be in touch very soon.

Hi

I know who you are! I think your vet is Potts - she is great.

You are on exactly the right lines and the key thing is for you to get the rabies work done and then once you have the rabies blood samples back then make sure you send us all the info we need to get the permit and then we can get the quarantine space booked. Perth quarantine is in a bit of a pickle at the moment with the bushfires and are going to be closed until May 31st, so we can ask about a space then and you should get a space for August, so it will all work out very well. The only problem is if we dont ask them for space soon enough then you may miss the slot and then the only option is to fly your dog to Sydney and then to an internal flight to Perth which is not very good at all.

Basically, keep doing what you are doing that is the right way to go and i think it will all be ok for a flight in August!

Bob

The closure of Byford is causing problems for lots of people. Can i just ask, so if you had your pet booked in between say now and end of May, are they just moving the slots back til June, will that mean they are booked up til end of August?

Also you say flying to Sydney and then internal flight is not a good thing? I know some people who are planning to do this because of whats happening at Byford, will this be detrimental for the animals health?

TIA

Hey Tia

If your pet is booked to land between now and May then AQIS are saying that you need to fly your pets to Sydney to serve their quarantine time and then over to Perth afterwards. It is not a bad thing, but a flight direct to Perth is better as there is no internal flight to be done afterwards. i am not saying it is a bad thing, just if you can avoid it then you should try to.

• 2 months later...

Hello Bob,

We are planning to come over to Australia end of July and since our dog can go (UK quarantine time will be served by June the 12th) we have applied for import permit. The problem is we didn't know when we could go, as my wife's visa was on hold and we were selling the house. Sold quicker then anticipated, other issues sorted, so need to move by end of July. We were planning to fly the dog on the 14th of July, providing she passes her blood tests on the 14th of June and her check 10 days before. The biggest problem is booking quarantine, as it has just reopened and it has only been a week since we submitted our import permit. Can you please advise if this would be at all possible, what are our options, as we are in a dead end situation here and can not leave the dog behind, as there is no one to leave her with, also got a small kid and have to move out by the 31st. Thanks.

Dear Robert

I think you must be going to Perth, so even though the quarantine station has opened the routes with airlines down there are very limited.

Which pet shipper are you using?

Maybe worth giving us a call, but it may be an option to get the quarantine space booked once the permit comes back and hope you get lucky with a space or we can board your dog before the flight, do the vet work and then fly your dog out when you are set OR we can fly your dog to Sydney in the timescales provided and then your dog can fly over to Perth afterwards.

The whole Perth thing is a mess frankly. Yes Perth has re-opened and many people have taken it as a given that we can get pets there, but the route down to Perth is a huge problem too as if we cant find an airline to do this route with the breed of dog you have then we are stuck and you may have to pay to get your permit amended.

Let us know if we can help

​Bob