'The Power of One Pom' - I can't win the quiz at the Strawbo on my own! Help Me!

MARYROSE02

Wednesdays at 7.30 in the Strawberry Hills Hotel. Whilst not lacking in friends in other areas of my life, I always end up doing the quiz on my own and I know from experience that you really need at least four people for a successful team.

It doesn't really matter if I win as it's a good laugh and I stand a chance of either winning free drinks, or winning the cash jackpot at the end. I almost did it last week when I guessed 1915 for the last time a British born person was PM (before Juliar.) Billy Hughes! but another team also guessed it and the prize does not get shared. This week it was the year that the state of Alabama, or wherever it was, gave an award to 'Colonel Sanders'. We all got it wrong.

We all turn off our mobile phones for this question although I never look at mine during the actual quiz anyway.

I love trivia and would love to join you but unable to do so for the next couple of weeks. Actually thinking of looking for a rental in Surry Hills so could make it a regular event if all goes well.

Good luck for next week, will try to join in a couple of weeks. Cheers.

Welcome to Surry Hills in advance then! I think Mondays is the quiz in the Shakespeare Hotel, Tuesdays in the Duck and Olive, Wednesdays in both the Strawberry Hills and Trinity - all those pubs in Devonshire St too. I'm not a fanatic about them, partly because they are on too early for me. If I'm late at the Strawbo, then 'Dani' the lady who does the quiz just gives me the question sheet to rush through the first half. I'm never bottom, even doing it on my own, but I'm never top either!

There are little 'off quiz' questions when everybody has an equal chance to win - 'Who Am I' when Dani goes through a list of facts until somebody guesses their name, then you get a free drinks voucher, which I've won once for guessing 'Henry Fonda.' (I should have got 'Henry VIII this week, was just about to shout 'OI!' but dithered and someone else jumped in!)

Then there's 'Heads or Tails', which is slightly embarrassing as you all stand up and put your hands on your 'head' or your 'tail' whilst Scott the barman (and Gooner!) tosses a coin until one person is left (Last man/woman standing.)

And finally the jackpot question which you have to put $2 in the glass for - the rest of the quiz is free. I just need more team members to stand a chance of winning the quiz.

last time i was in sydney, i won the head/tails game for australian general knowledge.. total fluked as i knew no answers and had a table of aussies who set me up to look stupid by being last man standing haha.. me and the mrs are moving out about surry hills soo we can always lend a hand..

last time i was in sydney, i won the head/tails game for australian general knowledge.. total fluked as i knew no answers and had a table of aussies who set me up to look stupid by being last man standing haha.. me and the mrs are moving out about surry hills soo we can always lend a hand..

I'll look forward to seeing you. I had a team of two last week, with the odd bit of help from the barstaff and we still ended up equal bottom. But the 'who am I', 'heads or tails' & jackpot question all mean you can still 'win' - free drinks at least - with one or a football team.

I did guess correctly the answer to the jackpot one week - 1915 as the last time a British born person was PM - Billy Hughes - but someone else also got it right.

Wednesdays at 7.30pm - I'm usually in 'Loser's' corner.

The Strawberry Hills is a 'funny' pub for me. I am always complaining about how loud the music is, why I can't find a decent light to read the paper, or a comfortable chair to sit on, BUT I have a great relationship with the staff. Walking down for a coffee yesterday evening, I stopped to talk to one of the bouncers - Daniel from Ethiopia (and a Gooner!) and he asked me to bring him a coffee - one I never get myself too - 'Mocchiatta???' Later on, I saw one of the barmaids, Elese, sitting outside on her break and I joined her - very pleasant in the evenings still - looks a bit cooler in Dunedin for the NZ v England Test. The lady who comes in to do the quiz is nice too - Dani - she is a lecturer at Sydney Uni I think.

It's all part of feeling like you are a member of the community! I went in one of the other pubs near me last night - KB Hotel, only been in there twice before, but one of the barmaids - Laura - remembered me, said she would put "Macklemore' on the juke box for me ("Same Love" I LOVE that song and the video for it too! I think I might just 'You Tube' it right now before I go for my morning coffee!)