Subclass 309 Partner Visa lodged in Aus High Comm London, but my UK visa expires in 2 months

mrs mandy

Hi,

I have just lodged my Partner Visa Subclass 309 in Australian High Commission London. I am an Indian living in UK from last 4 years, and my current UK visa expires in 2 months. I am wondering what will happen to my application which I have submitted here. Will it still be valid and reviewed? Also, can I apply for Australian Visitor Visa, so that I can go and see my husband soon ?

I am really very worried. Can I please get some advise...

Thanks

Your visa for being in the UK has nothing to do with Australia. You need to sort out renewing or extending it here in the UK.

With regard to your partner visa application, you will need to sort out your medical and police checks (which your CO will inform you about when they contact you for the first time). They are usually done about 3 months after you submit now. The current wait time for an Aus partner visa is 8-9 months from application.

You can go to Aus on a tourist visa but if you don't have a visa for the UK you would not be able to return here would you? And I think you'd need wait till you've got your medical and police checks in and your CO letting you know they need nothing more from you.

Thanks a lot Snifter. Few more ques please. What if I go to India before I get any emails from my CO, Can I do my Health Check in India?

I don't know as I've never needed to do that.

I would guess so but perhaps you should refer to the Aus immigration website or contact your CO about it.

I have no idea if your UK visa expiring has any impact on your partner visa application. I perhaps wasn't clear about that. If you wish to remain or return to the UK you need to extend or renew your visa. Your UK visa is nothing to do with Australia though.

You perhaps need to clarify with your CO about heading to India and where you can have your medical. If you've lived in the UK for the past 4 years you will also have to submit police checks for the other countries you've lived in (if you've not already) plus the UK one.

TBH it all sounds a bit of a muddle with your UK visa expiring soon and I'd proceed with caution until you have gained the correct information as to what you can and cannot do with regard to your application. I know I have read of people taking the medical and submitting police check etc and then leaving the country to go elsewhere (and informing their CO about this etc). But I don't know the form for leaving the country prior to medical being done and having it done elsewhere.

I also don't know anything about your UK visa or what happens if you leave the country before your medical for the Australian visa. However, I applied for my visa in the UK and did my medical in the UK but I have now left and I won't be returning. My case officer has no problem with this and everything is electronic so as long as I am not in Australia at the grant date he is happy.

Guest GeorgeD
Thanks a lot Snifter. Few more ques please. What if I go to India before I get any emails from my CO, Can I do my Health Check in India?

You need to get your health check done by one of DIAC's approved Panel Doctors. This can be anywhere in the world...as long as they are on that list. The list of doctors is on the DIAC website. Check with your CO where they should send the medical results as the clinic may not have carried out a medical for an application made in the UK, and you don't want it to get lost. Other than that, there is no problem doing it in India. Off the top f my head I remember someone from he UK having their medical done in Nepal while they were doing some extended traveling!

Archived