Delays in Processing Citizenship Application

chintanb

Hi freakLFC......Well it appears I will be joining you. I was in at the DIAC office today and the lady I spoke to managed to get my wife and I into the Friday ceremony on the 22nd March!!!!!!! The reason for the delays currently is that the Brisbane convention Centre is no longer going to be used, they'll be using the Town Hall when it opens in April, so it's went from 1000 to a place that will hold 500, so the ceremonies will be affected as a knock on effect.

Happy Days!!

Hi Kempster,

ALthough I was told that my application is put in urgent quota and will be streamlined, my online status still hasnt changed? Should I be worried? Considering 22/3 is not too far away. I haven't received any letter from them either.

Also may I ask, what happened after you gave your test? Did you just walk out? or did you sit for an appointment again?

Thank you Kempster.

Edited by freakLFC
Sorry, asked you a Q i had already asked before.

Hi Kempster,

ALthough I was told that my application is put in urgent quota and will be streamlined, my online status still hasnt changed? Should I be worried? Considering 22/3 is not too far away. I haven't received any letter from them either.

Also may I ask, what happened after you gave your test? Did you just walk out? or did you sit for an appointment again?

Thank you Kempster.

Hi freakLFC,

I'm unsure to be honest it depends on 2 things; (1) Have you received your letter to attend the ceremony yet? If you have then I wouldn't be concerned about your online status being updated (Applicant Approved). (2) If you haven't then I'd be inclined to call them (131 880) and press zero (0). Explain to them what you have been advised and confirm that they see that on the system, if this is different to what you have been told previously then you have a issue!

When I attended the office on the 18th January, I gave my documents, the case officer checked them over, got my photograph taken then I went and did my test. I passed the test then went back to the case officer and he advised that I was free to leave. Then 3 weeks later I got the approval letter, but like I mentioned previously, I knew that I was approved as I saw that the online status had been updated prior to receiving the letter.

Fingers crossed!

Hi freakLFC,

I'm unsure to be honest it depends on 2 things; (1) Have you received your letter to attend the ceremony yet? If you have then I wouldn't be concerned about your online status being updated (Applicant Approved). (2) If you haven't then I'd be inclined to call them (131 880) and press zero (0). Explain to them what you have been advised and confirm that they see that on the system, if this is different to what you have been told previously then you have a issue!

When I attended the office on the 18th January, I gave my documents, the case officer checked them over, got my photograph taken then I went and did my test. I passed the test then went back to the case officer and he advised that I was free to leave. Then 3 weeks later I got the approval letter, but like I mentioned previously, I knew that I was approved as I saw that the online status had been updated prior to receiving the letter.

Fingers crossed!

Thanks Kempster,

I was asked to leave after my test as well. I thought that was a bit weird, but then, you were told the same. Anyway, I went to the immigration office today and I got a token from a very helpful girl. I went and sat and was waiting for my number to appear on the screen, when the same lady came back and told me the Citizenship officer is on leave today!! I was so gutted to be honest. She told me to call or email the department and that they will get back to me. I was so busy at work, I couldnt call them. I am planning to go back on Monday and see what can be done. I was told I will be put in the 22/3 ceremony, and I still havent received my letter. Its been 10 days since the test and its exactly 1 week until ceremony!

Thanks Kempster,

I was asked to leave after my test as well. I thought that was a bit weird, but then, you were told the same. Anyway, I went to the immigration office today and I got a token from a very helpful girl. I went and sat and was waiting for my number to appear on the screen, when the same lady came back and told me the Citizenship officer is on leave today!! I was so gutted to be honest. She told me to call or email the department and that they will get back to me. I was so busy at work, I couldnt call them. I am planning to go back on Monday and see what can be done. I was told I will be put in the 22/3 ceremony, and I still havent received my letter. Its been 10 days since the test and its exactly 1 week until ceremony!

Hi freakLFC,

I was told to leave as everything was in order, documents, test passed, therefore there was nothing further that I had to do.

Mmmm Sounds a bit strange, as regardless of whether someone was on leave, there should have been someone else there to assist, or they could have sent you to level 3 to give you some advice, seems a bit odd.

When did you actually take your test / interview? The reason I ask is that the Police check can take up to 30 days, and if this hasn't came back, then a decision cannot be made, in other words you will not be approved until this has came back. However if this has came back, and everything is fine, then there is no reason why you shouldn't get all the information you need on Monday. To tell you that you have a date, can only mean that everything is ok? I hope everything is in order for you, and that your ceremony still takes place on Friday.

the australian police checks done by DIAC is done through online Crimtrac which can show results in few minutes.

it's not unusual for some applicants to have their citizenship approved the same day as their citizenship test.

the australian police checks done by DIAC is done through online Crimtrac which can show results in few minutes.

it's not unusual for some applicants to have their citizenship approved the same day as their citizenship test.

Hi streya,

Agreed, but you are advised that it can take up to 30 days regardless of how this done. My wife's was approved in 3 days, but I was 3 weeks, so it depends on when this is entered into the system, and wether someone has a similar name as you or not, that's when the delay is likely to happen. The point I was making to freakLFc is that you need this part if the process to be completed before you can be approved.

Hi freakLFC,

I was told to leave as everything was in order, documents, test passed, therefore there was nothing further that I had to do.

Mmmm Sounds a bit strange, as regardless of whether someone was on leave, there should have been someone else there to assist, or they could have sent you to level 3 to give you some advice, seems a bit odd.

When did you actually take your test / interview? The reason I ask is that the Police check can take up to 30 days, and if this hasn't came back, then a decision cannot be made, in other words you will not be approved until this has came back. However if this has came back, and everything is fine, then there is no reason why you shouldn't get all the information you need on Monday. To tell you that you have a date, can only mean that everything is ok? I hope everything is in order for you, and that your ceremony still takes place on Friday.

Life is AWESOME!!!!!!! Thanks Kempster for being my friend throughout and helping and listening to me!

I went to the immigration today and was told to email the lady who took my interview! Emailed her. She called me on my phone in 5 mins and gave me the best news ever. She has scheduled my ceremony for the 21st of March!! I was surprised hearing 21st? But she told me it is a proper ceremony guessing there will be more people. Thats the best birthday gift ever! (Bday on 25th March).

Unfortunately, it means that I wont get to see you. But I wish you the best of luck for the future!

Life is AWESOME!!!!!!! Thanks Kempster for being my friend throughout and helping and listening to me!

I went to the immigration today and was told to email the lady who took my interview! Emailed her. She called me on my phone in 5 mins and gave me the best news ever. She has scheduled my ceremony for the 21st of March!! I was surprised hearing 21st? But she told me it is a proper ceremony guessing there will be more people. Thats the best birthday gift ever! (Bday on 25th March).

Unfortunately, it means that I wont get to see you. But I wish you the best of luck for the future!

Hi freakLFC,

Glad to hear that you've finally got an answer! Good luck for Thursday, all the best for the future :smile:

• 1 year later...

Hello everyone ,

I done my citizenship interview and test on 26/2/14 but didn't received approval letter from immigration that your application is approved or not .I am on rsms visa.it was approved on 11/1/2013. ON 28/03/1 I received a letter from my employer that they don't have enough work for me for the next 2 to 3 weeks or maybe longer. I am bit worried about my citizenship because all of my another friends done test got approval letter in 5 days.I called to department 15 days ago and they said that everything is done I can see here but I cant say anything why your case officer didn't send you approval letter . Has any one in same situation ? just bit stressed .I done by paper application in Melbourne.

Thanks

varun

• 3 months later...

Hi

I am sort of in the same situation as you are.myself and my wife applied at the same time, I got my approval letter in 3weeks and have attended my ceremony as we'll . But my wife is still waiting for her approval letter and it's been 9 months already and immigration just does not give an answer. We have called them on several occasions but they say that it is still processing and they don't know how much longer it is going to take. She was also on rsms visa and left the job after 6months but we notified the immigration and submit an application but they said that they will take no action. Now when it has come to citizenship it has caused a lot of stress again. Is anyone else in this situation or would know why it is taking so long or what can we do???

Thank u

Similar story here. I applied 04.03.2014 online with discretion to have time spent with my partner overseas included for eligibility. Scanned all my documents and attached them as advised.

Someone called me from Melbourne DIAC office in 7 days to invite me for an interview in Melbourne as I live in Ballarat and they wanted to save my time waiting for regional appointment. I was super stoked with the level of service! Then the same gentleman told me I am not able to sit the test as applied with discretion. Had to wait to be invited.

3 months passed, no news, I became eligible as of beginning of June, rang up and requested to have my application now placed in general eligibility stream. An officer who rang me back from Melbourne office was super nice, advised I will have to reapply on paper form and invalidated my initial application and confirmed that they were not asking for another application fee to be paid. I returned my new application on the 12.06.14 and still have not been invited for an interview. Rang on several occasions and the contact center people cannot do anything, but send emails to Melbourne. There is no information I can get regarding the status of my application. Nothing is updated online either as the initial online application has been invalidated as of 03.06.14... Where to from there?!

I know I created my own problems with the initial application, but what the hell did I apply on paper the second time? Not sure what to do! I am a full time Uni student, looks like the last semester of fees is on me again...

• 1 month later...
Hello everyone ,

I done my citizenship interview and test on 26/2/14 but didn't received approval letter from immigration that your application is approved or not .I am on rsms visa.it was approved on 11/1/2013. ON 28/03/1 I received a letter from my employer that they don't have enough work for me for the next 2 to 3 weeks or maybe longer. I am bit worried about my citizenship because all of my another friends done test got approval letter in 5 days.I called to department 15 days ago and they said that everything is done I can see here but I cant say anything why your case officer didn't send you approval letter . Has any one in same situation ? just bit stressed .I done by paper application in Melbourne.

Thanks

varun

Hi varun,those who on RSMS got same sort of problem delaying approval,it's been 2 months now still I'm waiting for the approval,I applied to cairns regional office,the process seems to be slow in regional offices n ceremonies take place once a year being so small population in these areas,there is a ceremony at the end of this month,if I missed that,I probably have to wait till Australia Day,,,,,suckssss!!!

Hi

I am sort of in the same situation as you are.myself and my wife applied at the same time, I got my approval letter in 3weeks and have attended my ceremony as we'll . But my wife is still waiting for her approval letter and it's been 9 months already and immigration just does not give an answer. We have called them on several occasions but they say that it is still processing and they don't know how much longer it is going to take. She was also on rsms visa and left the job after 6months but we notified the immigration and submit an application but they said that they will take no action. Now when it has come to citizenship it has caused a lot of stress again. Is anyone else in this situation or would know why it is taking so long or what can we do???

Thank u

Hi Marshall,

apprently,DIAC and ATO linked together,so they might be investigating your application with ATO. Even of your wife pulled the pin on reasonable grounds,still they can go through and investigate weather she got a another Job in the nominated position and remained in the bush,I have a same sort of problem, last financial year I got less than half of income from the company I work for, they might be holding approval on my application,never know I could be wrong.....keep updating whats happening,cheers bud

• 1 month later...