Delays in Processing Citizenship Application

chintanb

Hello Everyone,

I applied online for Australian Citizenship on 18th Jan and am still waiting to get invited for Citizenship test (Not Ceremony, Citizenship Test. I know there would be another wait to attend Citizenship Ceremony :arghh:)

Have called the department twice and on both occasions I was advised that all my documents are in order and there is nothing on the file that would make the process any slower than normal (which they say is 10 working days). They tell me the only thing I can do right now is to wait as maybe they have too many applications which is causing processing delays :arghh:

Has anyone else here made an online application for Citizenship in last couple of months? Just curios to see if the delays are just for me or everyone else as well. I am based in Brisbane and hold an Indian Passport if that makes any difference.

Thanks,

Chintan

Interesting! I live in Sydney and I applied for citizenship on 17th of Jan, they contacted me 2 or 3 days later and booked me in for 7th of Feb.

I reckon it is the number of applications that slow down the process.

Be patient and hopefully they will contact you soon!

Edited by 3gh2

Hi Chintan,

For what it's worth I am in Melbourne, applied online on 19/1 (and received an acknowledgement email straight away), received an email invitation on 7/2 and sat my test yesterday 27/2.

Can you double check you gave them the correct email address?

Or contact them again?

Good luck,

Geoff

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi Chintan , I lodged mine on January 17th , Just got my appointment letter yesterday for April 4th! , I am living in regional Queensland , called DIAC after 4 weeks of waiting and have been told that it needs up to 3 month for regional offices to get me an appointment , so I asked them to move it to Brisbane and just got it yesterday , it seems that Queensland is pretty busy now , I called DIAC again early this week before I receive the letter , they said you have nothing to do but waiting

Hello Everyone,

I applied online for Australian Citizenship on 18th Jan and am still waiting to get invited for Citizenship test (Not Ceremony, Citizenship Test. I know there would be another wait to attend Citizenship Ceremony :arghh:)

Have called the department twice and on both occasions I was advised that all my documents are in order and there is nothing on the file that would make the process any slower than normal (which they say is 10 working days). They tell me the only thing I can do right now is to wait as maybe they have too many applications which is causing processing delays :arghh:

Has anyone else here made an online application for Citizenship in last couple of months? Just curios to see if the delays are just for me or everyone else as well. I am based in Brisbane and hold an Indian Passport if that makes any difference.

Thanks,

Chintan

Hi Chintan,

I hold an Indian passport and based in BNE as well. I applied for my citizenship on 28th October and have my citizenship test on the 5th of March. I had to wait a while before they emailed me. I really hope the processing is faster after the test is done. Does anyone have any idea when the next Ceremony is??

Thanks.

Hi Chintan,

I hold an Indian passport and based in BNE as well. I applied for my citizenship on 28th October and have my citizenship test on the 5th of March. I had to wait a while before they emailed me. I really hope the processing is faster after the test is done. Does anyone have any idea when the next Ceremony is??

Thanks.

The date from test/ interview can take up to 3 months, which is within the service standard, although it could be approved sooner, it just depends who your case officer is. Within that time an Australian Police check will be carried out. There is a ceremony in April then one in June according to those that I spoke to at DIAC in Brisbane. The problem is that if you live in the Brisbane Council catchment, they don't seem to publish the dates on the council website like other councils. Those who never got their ceremony on Australia Day (2013) will go into the April ceremony. I was approved in February and my wife in January, like I mentioned above depends who you see. My wife was 3 days to approved, me, 3 weeks! So they have advised us that it's likely to be June at the earliest.

Hi Chintan , I lodged mine on January 17th , Just got my appointment letter yesterday for April 4th! , I am living in regional Queensland , called DIAC after 4 weeks of waiting and have been told that it needs up to 3 month for regional offices to get me an appointment , so I asked them to move it to Brisbane and just got it yesterday , it seems that Queensland is pretty busy now , I called DIAC again early this week before I receive the letter , they said you have nothing to do but waiting

You know that if you applied online, you will see the progress before the letter comes out (https://www.ecom.immi.gov.au/inquiry/query/query.do?action=citz) I knew that I had been approved before the letter was sent, as the letter comes from Canberra. I had to wait up to 3 weeks but that could have been due to the fact the immigration minister had just changed!

I already applied online , I was talking about the email letter for test appointment not the application approval , but thanks for that , I didn't know that I can see the approval status before receiving the letter , I wish if doesn't be long after the test , I hate waiting times :)

The date from test/ interview can take up to 3 months, which is within the service standard, although it could be approved sooner, it just depends who your case officer is. Within that time an Australian Police check will be carried out. There is a ceremony in April then one in June according to those that I spoke to at DIAC in Brisbane. The problem is that if you live in the Brisbane Council catchment, they don't seem to publish the dates on the council website like other councils. Those who never got their ceremony on Australia Day (2013) will go into the April ceremony. I was approved in February and my wife in January, like I mentioned above depends who you see. My wife was 3 days to approved, me, 3 weeks! So they have advised us that it's likely to be June at the earliest.

Thanks for your reply, kempster.

So I finally had my appointment. The lady who was checking my documents was so nice to me. I told her I was a Uni student and she got worried about me having to pay domestic fees instead of HECS. She advised me that my application was going to be put in the urgent quota(?), subject to Police checks perhaps, and if its all good, my citizenship ceremony will be streamlined and most probably be on the 22nd of THIS MONTH! (Just in time before the last day to be eligible for HECS). She also said it will be at the Immigration building behind closed doors with a few others!

I couldn't thank her enough. And God. I really didnt want to pay uni fees which was $8800.

Are we supposed to check our application status online after the test? Does it even change?

Hi freakLFC,

They say that after your test / interview that all correspondence will be done in writing. If you have applied on-line , then the answer is YES the status will change to "Applicant Approved", it's up to you whether you choose to check online or not . If you do choose to monitor this online, then during this time, when you're waiting on your letter, you may know this status prior to actually receiving your approval letter. I'm unsure on whether this changes again when your ceremony is due, as I personally haven't gotten to that stage yet, but been advised over the phone (today) that this is likely to be July in Brisbane, and will receive my letter 2-3 weeks before the ceremony.

but been advised over the phone (today) that this is likely to be July in Brisbane, and will receive my letter 2-3 weeks before the ceremony.

Just wondering what did you ask? they are usually reluctant to give out any information.

Just wondering what did you ask? they are usually reluctant to give out any information.

Hi 3gh2,

I just asked them outright. The date is tentative, but I had said to the girl that I spoke to (on the phone) that I was advised June when I spoke to the DIAC officer in person at the Brisbane office, so maybe that is why she said that she could see that we were down tentatively for 15th July, although that could be sooner (I hope), but 80% of people who are advised tentative, tend to get that date she advised. I hope she is right

Hi freakLFC,

They say that after your test / interview that all correspondence will be done in writing. If you have applied on-line , then the answer is YES the status will change to "Applicant Approved", it's up to you whether you choose to check online or not . If you do choose to monitor this online, then during this time, when you're waiting on your letter, you may know this status prior to actually receiving your approval letter. I'm unsure on whether this changes again when your ceremony is due, as I personally haven't gotten to that stage yet, but been advised over the phone (today) that this is likely to be July in Brisbane, and will receive my letter 2-3 weeks before the ceremony.

Thanks Kempster,

May I ask when your status change to approved? Was it right after the test? I had my test on 5th March and the status is still the same. I'll definitely monitor this and then keep an eye on my letter box.

Same for me.. applied for citizenship on 29th Jan, no test dates yet. Called them last week apparently they have received too many application and it will take up to 12 weeks before test dates are allocated. Looks like Brisbane office is under the pump.

Hello Everyone,

Thanks,

Chintan

Hi Chintan,

Any progress on your application ?

Hello Everyone,

Thanks,

Chintan

Hi chintanb,

My time line as follows:Brisbane

3/12/2013, Application received and processed

18/01/2013, Interview and Test

12/02/2013 Application Approved

Awaiting Ceremony Date

I have been advised that I have a tentative date of the 15th July which I find ridiculous to be honest. They say that the time between approved and ceremony can be 3-6 months!

You should have a TRN (Transaction Reference Number) for the application you lodged, therefore you can check the status of this online (https://www.ecom.immi.gov.au/inquiry/query/query.do?action=citz). They will tell you that all correspondence after your test/interview will be in writing, which is correct, but I knew that I was approved before they sent the letter, as I checked online ;-)

Good Luck

Thanks Kempster,

May I ask when your status change to approved? Was it right after the test? I had my test on 5th March and the status is still the same. I'll definitely monitor this and then keep an eye on my letter box.

Hi freakLFC,

No mine was 3 weeks after, although my wife with our children on her application was set to approved after 3 days! It just depends who you get on the day to be honest. The police checks have a 30 day turnaround, but this is quicker if you have a name that doesn’t match someone else, so they can run the check without having to do any further digging. My delay could have been due to the change in Immigration Minister at the time?

If you're applying on your own, then you may have a ceremony quicker, as we have my wife and I and the 2 kids, as my son was born here so he's Australian already, so they'll have to accommodate a family of 5.

There are ceremonies in April and June I believe.. Once you've been set to Approved, give it a couple of weeks and call the Citizenship line and ask them the question.

Keep me posted and Good Luck

Hi chintanb,

My time line as follows:Brisbane

3/12/2013, Application received and processed

18/01/2013, Interview and Test

12/02/2013 Application Approved

Awaiting Ceremony Date

I have been advised that I have a tentative date of the 15th July which I find ridiculous to be honest. They say that the time between approved and ceremony can be 3-6 months!

You should have a TRN (Transaction Reference Number) for the application you lodged, therefore you can check the status of this online (https://www.ecom.immi.gov.au/inquiry/query/query.do?action=citz). They will tell you that all correspondence after your test/interview will be in writing, which is correct, but I knew that I was approved before they sent the letter, as I checked online ;-)

Good Luck

Hi kempster23a,

Just talked to DIAC!!!!! They say 3-6 months waiting period! I just don't understand why can't they tell us the exact ceremony date right after the approval?

They have computers!!, they know where applicants live and they know the number of people attending the ceremony at each council! it is just a simple math question!

It seems that I have to wait until April at least!

let me know if you get your invitation

Good luck

Thanks for your reply, kempster.

So I finally had my appointment. The lady who was checking my documents was so nice to me. I told her I was a Uni student and she got worried about me having to pay domestic fees instead of HECS. She advised me that my application was going to be put in the urgent quota(?), subject to Police checks perhaps, and if its all good, my citizenship ceremony will be streamlined and most probably be on the 22nd of THIS MONTH! (Just in time before the last day to be eligible for HECS). She also said it will be at the Immigration building behind closed doors with a few others!

I couldn't thank her enough. And God. I really didnt want to pay uni fees which was $8800.

Hi freakLFC......Well it appears I will be joining you. I was in at the DIAC office today and the lady I spoke to managed to get my wife and I into the Friday ceremony on the 22nd March!!!!!!! The reason for the delays currently is that the Brisbane convention Centre is no longer going to be used, they'll be using the Town Hall when it opens in April, so it's went from 1000 to a place that will hold 500, so the ceremonies will be affected as a knock on effect.

Happy Days!!

Hi freakLFC......Well it appears I will be joining you. I was in at the DIAC office today and the lady I spoke to managed to get my wife and I into the Friday ceremony on the 22nd March!!!!!!! The reason for the delays currently is that the Brisbane convention Centre is no longer going to be used, they'll be using the Town Hall when it opens in April, so it's went from 1000 to a place that will hold 500, so the ceremonies will be affected as a knock on effect.

Happy Days!!

Wow Congrats Kempster. Thats great news!

Good luck with your life as an Aussie!

Hi kempster23a,

Just talked to DIAC!!!!! They say 3-6 months waiting period! I just don't understand why can't they tell us the exact ceremony date right after the approval?

They have computers!!, they know where applicants live and they know the number of people attending the ceremony at each council! it is just a simple math question!

It seems that I have to wait until April at least!

let me know if you get your invitation

Good luck

Hi 3gh2,

They can't tell you there and then, as the list is made of up x amount of people that gets sent off once a month I believe.

We are having our ceremony next Friday 22/03 at the DIAC offices in Brisbane:biggrin:

Like I mentioned to freakLFC I went into the office today as I was passing and asked the lady to confirm my date, which was the same date that I had been advised over the phone (15/07). It appears that the queues are due to the change in venue in Brisbane. This will now be held in the Town Hall and no longer in the convention centre, so I was advised. So she checked and managed to fit us in. Not going to be the big ceremony, but it's better than waiting until July!