My dogs

nikci

Hi everyone,

Quick question regading taking the dogs. We hope to take both our maltese. Unfortunately our female, Dotti, suffers with fits and I am really worried that this is going to prevent us from taking her with us. Dotti's OH would be lost without her. Has anyone got any ideas/advice in regards to this? The children would also be devastated if we had to leave her but obviously we would have to consider what was best for Dotti.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

THanks a million.

Nikci

Guest Mrs Braveheart

Hi Nikci

Only thing I can suggest is get your vets advice about Dotti's condition, The main worry I assume would be if she takes a fit on the plane & there will be no one there to check on her until the flight lands.

Good Luck

Janette

Hiya

I'm with Mrs Braveheart on this one. I think it's important that you take your vets advice on whether your dog is fit enough to fly...

My dog arrived into Sydney yesterday morning, and he's fit and well, though a little stressed.

My main concern would be the stress inducing an epileptic fit, especially if it occured mid flight.

Debs x x x

Hi Nikci,

Have a look on Home - Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry this is the website for the quarentine kennels in Sydney. I have a Bichon Friese she's 10 and i've had here since she was 12 weeks old. If you look at the pictures of the kennels you will have to ask yourself if your dogs would be able to cope with the conditions there, it's doesn't look nice! Obviously depending on your dogs temprement and the fact that they would be housed together they might be fine. I was adamant that i was taking my little one regardless of the cost but having seen the kennels it has made me wonder if she would cope it it all and if it would be fair on her. For who's benifit would it be? Have a look and see what you think! I've decided to see if i can find an nice old couple who may want to adopt her and look after her into her old age. Don't get me wrong it will definatley break my heart but i can't bear the thought of her being in those kennels for 30 days and being so stressed out.

You can e-mail the kennels on easterncreek.AQS@aqis.gov.au if you have any questions.

Good luck Alison x

Guest colin&miche
Hi Nikci,

Have a look on Home - Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry this is the website for the quarentine kennels in Sydney. I have a Bichon Friese she's 10 and i've had here since she was 12 weeks old. If you look at the pictures of the kennels you will have to ask yourself if your dogs would be able to cope with the conditions there, it's doesn't look nice! Obviously depending on your dogs temprement and the fact that they would be housed together they might be fine. I was adamant that i was taking my little one regardless of the cost but having seen the kennels it has made me wonder if she would cope it it all and if it would be fair on her. For who's benifit would it be? Have a look and see what you think! I've decided to see if i can find an nice old couple who may want to adopt her and look after her into her old age. Don't get me wrong it will definatley break my heart but i can't bear the thought of her being in those kennels for 3 months and being so stressed out.

You can e-mail the kennels on easterncreek.AQS@aqis.gov.au if you have any questions.

Good luck Alison x

hi it was my understanding the quarantine period is 31 days not 3mths! we are taking our GSD with us this will cost us about 6k but they are young asnd healthy and would also break our hearts to leave them behind.

regards

michell

Hi everyone,

Quick question regading taking the dogs. We hope to take both our maltese. Unfortunately our female, Dotti, suffers with fits and I am really worried that this is going to prevent us from taking her with us. Dotti's OH would be lost without her. Has anyone got any ideas/advice in regards to this? The children would also be devastated if we had to leave her but obviously we would have to consider what was best for Dotti.

THanks a million.

Nikci

Hi Nicki - I see you are based in Essex. We had, until last summer, a Border Collie who suffered from Epilepsy. When we visited Emigrate 2006 we spoke to Par Air Services, the lady there didn't believe we would have a problem taking Blue. She said that she would ensure that he had had all of his medication at the time of departure. Obviously she couldn't guarantee how he would be on the flight or in quarantine, but she didn't seem to think epilepsy should prevent him from going. Par Air Services are in Colchester you may want to give them a call. Unfortunately for us we lost Blue last summer, for me the hardest decision would have been to have left him behind.

We have our medicals tomorrow, subject to them being OK we hope to be moving to Perth as soon as our house is sold - however I'm going nowhere without my dogs, including our new Border Collie - Skye !

As you are in Essex, are you going to attend the meet on the 9th March at the Halfway House, if so, see you there. :cute:

Karen x

Guest Tony.London Suburbs
Hi everyone,

Quick question regading taking the dogs.

THanks a million.

Nikci

Please take Vets advice and heed it Nikci.Only yesterday I read on here that a Guys 2 dogs died within 3 weeks of being in Oz...and if like my 4 westies they are inseperable then it is best(for both of them if one is vulnerable) to leave them with a good home here although the thought of returning 2 dogs who do not understand why they(appear) to be cast out and put back in kennels or a dogs home is dreadful I have to admit.Good Luck.

Hiya

No worries Alison.

I get myself mixed up all the time :)

For those of you out there worrying about taking your dogs to OZ. I had exactly the same worries.

My boy has been in quarantine now for 6 days now and i spoke to his carer in Sydney this morning.

It seems I was worrying over nothing. He has settled in very well and has huge fun running up and down the fence of the outside pen with the neighbouring dogs.

I'm really not sure if there's a right or a wrong solution as to whether to bring your dogs to Oz or not, but even though it crossed my mind briefly to leave him behind, I know I made the right decision in bringing him. He is part of my family and I love him to bits and I'm counting down the days till I can see him again.

Apart from the fact he is a bit stiff on his back legs, he has no other medical complaints, so in that sense he was always going to be fit and healthy to fly and do his time in quarantine.

It if he had other medical issues though (depending on what they were ofc) I would probably have thought about it in a different way.

At the end of the day, the decision was made on what was always going to be best for my dog and not best for me. Like I said he is part of my family and so in my mind being with me was always going to be the best for him.

I wish you all the best with your decisions and from what I've experienced so far, the carers in Sydney do a wonderful job.

Have a good day guys

Debs x x x

Hi Debz, pleased to hear your dog is ok. We want to take our girl if we go pleased to hear they are well cared for. Hope you are reunited soon

Guest colin&miche

Hi all ,

i know this is gong to sound really stupid but how do the dogs cope with the heat out there, and also does anyone know how easy or hard is it to get rental accomodation allowing dogs and allowing them inside , as i cant see the point in having pet and having it outside , my opinion tho so please dont shoot me.:embarrassed:

michell

Hi Debs, You know i'm really now getting quite confused about the whole dog thing, in my head i think let her be adopted by a kind old couple that will spoil her, but then i think i can't leave her as i will miss her too much and she is so attatched to me that what if she feels the same. But i supose when the time comes i will know what to do. I have another 15 months to make up my mind completely. It really is a case of saying it and doing it being completely different things! I seem to be the only one who is thinking of taking her, my OH thinks it a mad idea to spend so much money on a dog but as i've had her so long she's is like a child and you wouldn't leave them behind would you! It really freaked me out when i saw the pics of the kennels in Sydney i just thought she wont like that at all, she's used to all the home comforts etc although she is a sociable dog still would worry about how she would cope, not knowing where she is or why she is there. Prehaps i'm worrying too much who knows, plenty of people take their dogs and they do fine, yes it's a bit traumatic but they recover don't they? Ahh!! i'll have to give it some more thought, i keep looking at her thinking could i cope with not having her around she's such a sweetie! Don't know who would suffer the most the dog or me!! Sorry for rambling! Alison x

• 11 months later...
Guest Tony.London Suburbs
HI Everyone,

Thanks for all your input - think I am dreading hearing any bad news - will keep you posted on what the vet says. Thanks again for all your help, advice and support.

Nikci, Dotti and Scruffy (my dogs)

Hi! Just saw this thread again and wondered what the current situation is please ?:spinny:

Hi,

just wanted to say that I had major panics about our dog in quarantine looking at the pictures of Eastern Creek on the website.

We had a few issues with blood tests and had to leave him behind with family before he flew out. He is a resuce dog and hated being in kennels so we were concerned about the stress etc etc. So we had the guilt of "abandoning" a rescue dog, the guilt of leaving him behind and the worry about him being in "prison" for a month with no-one to look after him!

On the day he was due to fly we called air-pets and they said that he was ready to go. We called quarantine when he landed and was told he was fine and had eaten. We were given the name and phone number of his carer who said we could call as often as we liked. We called at least once a week and we were reassured that he was fine. She said that he was a little off his food but he was settling in. When she said that he liked his tummy rubbed and we knew that he was being taken good care of!

We counted down the days before we collected him on Christmas Eve. I had imagined this place to be a prison with guards. The staff were lovely and freindly. All the dogs that they brought out were happy and in good shape. We met his carer who told us that he had been a good boy and she had given him a bath ready for him to go home. He was in good shape and couldn't wait to get back in his crate in the back of the car for the long journey from Sydney to the Gold Coast.

He took a couple of days to be back to "normal" when he got home but he's fine now and loving life on the beaches. Although he does get a bit hot!

Nikci, I would seek the vets advice to see what they say. Pongo has a heart murmur and we said that if they vet said that he would be in danger if he flew then we would have to re-home him. Hard decision but like you said you need to do the right thing for Dotti.

Good luck and keep us posted on what happens.

Kat

x

Archived