Buying a car in Oz.

dannymonaghan

We arrive in Melbourne around May/June , so I'm just trying to get things sorted , I've been looking online at gumtree for cars in the Melbourne area , a few I've seen for sale have in the description no REGO and no RWC . I'm guessing the RWC is their equivalent of an MOT over here , unsure on what REGO is. Also what about insurance is it the same set up as the UK ?

Thanks.

Danny.

Basically, don't bother with anything that doesn't have rego - you're right the rwc is the road worthy certificate, which is what it sounds like - if it doesn't have one, forget it. WA doesn't have the rwc, so you won't see it in.adverts for cars there btw, you tend to get a mechanics check instead ( we did). Rego is like road tax and very basic insurance to cover 3rd party property, and is compulsory. Insurance past that isn't compulsory - we didn't.bother with it, and have therefore been very lucky to have not needed it (for our beast it would have been stupidly high), but you don't need to get anything further than the rego as far as the law is concerned here. You will have to pay a transfer fee when you buy the car, to transfer the rego into your name - if you look on the state site that you think you will buy in, they should have the costs etc online - WA does for eg, so we could work out the full cost of everything before we got here (as we knew the exact car we were going to be buying as well, which helped).You also need to do a finance check on the car - sorry I can't remember what its called - you can do that online really easily as well, otherwise you could find yourself with a repossed car and no refund. Sure someone on here will remember the name of the check (or google is your friend lol)Good luck :)

Rego is like road tax and very basic insurance to cover 3rd party property, and is compulsory.

Not quite right I'm afraid. It only covers medical bills of a third party. If you want 3rd party property, you need to get yourself extra insurance (which is the minimum needed in the UK but not needed over here).

Not quite right I'm afraid. It only covers medical bills of a third party. If you want 3rd party property, you need to get yourself extra insurance (which is the minimum needed in the UK but not needed over here).
Sorry, sort of what I meant but sleepy, limited to my.phone to access internet and rushing, so fuzzy on details.....

Guest Guest26012

Just be aware if you don't take out extra insurance it could be very expensive for you if you are involved in a RTA or any accident where you are at fault.

Archived