moving children

rider3

Hi

We are a family of 5, 3 girls, they are quite versatile and i cant see them having a problem moving and making friends, i was just wondering if anyone can offer some advice on the transition between schools. our school over here have been great and offered to allow the children to contact the school which my girls are going to be going to when we move over, to help them begin making friends. are the schools in australia helpful like this too. and can anyone give me some suggestions on good schools in the adeleide area. my girls will 8/9, 7/8, and 10/11.

Thank you very muchly

xx

I can only speak from my limited experience but when we were moving over when my son was 5 none of the state schools were interested in engaging with us at all until we lived in the catchment area. We were moving to Perth where around 35% of the population are migrants and the population is pretty transient too. I was told that it is just too much of an overhead on the schools. We were able to put his name on private school waiting lists but we needed to have an interview before they would offer a place. It all worked out fine though, I think we worry more than they do!

We are now returning to the UK and it's been a very different story, we have a school place lined up already and I got an email from the school just today. I guess it's a bit of a novelty having a boy from Australia joining them :)

For more info on Adelaide schools you will probably find way more info and get more feedback over on our sister site, Poms in Adelaide.

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/education/

What the others have said, until you are there you can't really do much. Quite a lot of schools are zoned so unless you are actually living in the area (and many now require proof of a long term lease before taking kids) they won't do anything.

Much will depend on which area of Adelaide you choose to settle really. And often that will boil down to work and commute etc.

Archived