Employer willing to sponsor me on either a 186 or 187 visas?

RobinVanPersie

I bumped into my old boss today at a petrol station and we got chatting and he said you have to call back to the office and that he wants to run a few thing by me.

I worked for them for 6 months on my 1st WHV as a concreter and they wanted to sponsor me but were unable to sponsor me, they knew I had Estimating experience but had no need for me in the office. They have now won a few contracts and are expanding and need a Estimator for their offices in Perth.

He informed me they have since sponsored a few workers on 457 visa and he offered me the same visa, but I told him that I could also get either a ENS 186 or a RSMS 187 visa which are PR and that I would rather go this route rather than a 457 visa. He told me that he'll do a bit of research into it and that I should do the same. Also I would be willing to pay the $3060 for the 187 visa.

My questions are::err:

1. Would they have to advertise a Estimator position available within their company?

2. They want me to start working asap on a casual basis, but it wouldn't be doing estimating yet just helping them set up their new yard etc (labouring) how would this affect the application (2 year Estimating employment contract required for 186 and 187 visa.

3. Would they have to pay me weekly or could they just pay me for the hours I work. (Would I need a set salary stated in the contract)

4. I'm very confused if the 187 visa requires a positive skill assessment ( From my readings I think not as long as the employer is happy with my refrences from my previous employment?

These are just a few thing running thru my head at the mo. I'm delighted I bumped into him as I was looking into a 189/190 visa but I feel a 187 would suit me better as I would have a 2 year employment contract too.

Looking forward to your replies:biggrin:

If you are applying in Australia you don't need a skills assessment for the rsms visa. If you have to advertise it or not depends on your local rcb. My work place here in Adelaide had to advertise for a month in three places, at least one being a paper, and at least one being an Internet place.

You would need a two year contract specifying hours and wage of at least award rate. It it is less you won't get the visa.

You working in a different job before hand, although officially not a problem, might cause problems. Some people have had immigration turn up to their work place to check what job they are actually doing. They can also ask for copies of your pay slips ( I believe they did with me) to check you are being paid the level they have been told.

There are far more people pretending they are doing a higher job than they actually are just to get a visa at the moment, so if they think you are just going to be a labourer then you are stuffed.

Bridging visa you would get automatically as long as you applied for your visa before your whv runs out. It still has the six month working restrictions on it, but if your visa looks like it is going to take longer you can apply to have that removed.

Good luck

Thanks peeps that really helps.

I think what i'll do now is check what the RCB in WA require in regards to the advertising of the role. If for instance the company placed a add in the West Australian paper on Saturday and on Gumtee today, could they start my sponsoring process straight away and just keep running the add for 1 month..

Just checked the internet and got this info from wa.gov.au

2. We must be satisfied that the position cannot be filled by an Australian citizen or an Australian

permanent resident who is living in the same local area where the nominated position exists.

Provided documentation should include:

evidence that the position has been advertised within three months directly preceding the application for

assessment, by the RCB. Evidence may include an invoice, a scanned copy of the advertisement, or other

relevant supporting documentation.

Advertising requirements:

one print advertisement in a newspaper with a distribution across the region in which the position will be

located.

Print advertisements for positions located in Perth metropolitan area and Fly-In-Fly-Out or Drive-In-Drive-

Out positions must be advertised in The West Australian or The Sunday Times. Placement of

advertisements in newspapers must be appropriate for the advertised position.

or

one online advertisement over a minimum 2 week period on a jobs site (such as Seek, CareerOne).

and

A signed declaration stating that the nominator has made a genuine attempt to fill the position with an

Australian citizen or permanent resident and has been unable to find a suitable candidate.

Archived