Help/information needed!!

Christwed

Hi, I'm just after some help and information. Me and my girlfriend have a years holiday working visa and are arriving in Sydney in June. We have accommodation for our first 4 nights in Kent street, but after that we are hoping to find ourselves a flat to rent. We are wondering if there are any nice areas near to beaches etc. that people would recommend, and roughly how much we would be paying to rent, preferably a furnished place. We have never rented or owned a home here in England so I don't know if this would be a problem over in Australia to regards to bill payments etc.?

Also if anyone could give us any information on what it's like to find jobs that's would be great to. I am a timber frame erector, and my girlfriend currently works in a supermarket but we are willing to give anything a go.

Thanks.

Have a look on www.domain.com.au (part of the Sydney Morning Herald site) and see what kind of flats are available. There are other places to look - Gumtree perhaps? I am not familiar with that one. I have many friends who live in shared accomodation - one pays $250 a week for a room in a terraced house in Surry Hills. Even in my block of units (flats!) there are always people coming and going who share flats, sometimes sub-let by the main tenant.

Look around Bondi/Coogee/Manly/Cronulla/Maroubra. Google ALL the Sydney beaches! See which ones take your fancy. How far are you willing to travel. I have no preferences. Some people LOVE Bondi and others HATE it! But love it or hate it, it has all the facilities you would want.

Hi, I'm just after some help and information. Me and my girlfriend have a years holiday working visa and are arriving in Sydney in June. We have accommodation for our first 4 nights in Kent street, but after that we are hoping to find ourselves a flat to rent. We are wondering if there are any nice areas near to beaches etc. that people would recommend, and roughly how much we would be paying to rent, preferably a furnished place. We have never rented or owned a home here in England so I don't know if this would be a problem over in Australia to regards to bill payments etc.?

Also if anyone could give us any information on what it's like to find jobs that's would be great to. I am a timber frame erector, and my girlfriend currently works in a supermarket but we are willing to give anything a go.

Thanks.

well, I'm due to go out in April and my partner is over there already. We really wanted a rental in manly but that's very popular area and proving quite difficult to secure a tenancy.hes secured a rental now, but not in manly and not very near a beach!! grrr....Unless you have a lot of time to spend on viewing properties it can become quite a battle! U need ALOT of info when renting,it's almost like a job interview?! IRoughly speaking for a one bedroom flat you'd be looking at $500 plus a week for a one bedroom furnished flat. More flats seem to be advertised on the websites to rent now that its approaching winter I think? Good luck :smile:

Thanks for the replies. Like Shaunna said what sort of information would they need from us? As I said in my original post we have never rented or owed a home here in England, would this be a problem? It would be great if we could find a place before we get over there but I guess this would be very difficult if not impossible?

Thanks again.

I've moved this to the WHV forum in the hope others on a WHV will see it.

FWIW I think you may be in for a shock renting a furnished apartment price wise. And location. Sydney is pricey by all accounts. Without references and jobs you may struggle.

Personally, till you are working I'd be looking to stay in a hostel or something to keep costs down in the early weeks. You can get a room shared just the two of you usually. And then look at house shares and so on or chat to others in the hostel about renting or where might be good.

Renting in advance of your arrival is pretty much a non starter.

Archived