So...whats it like in Tassie?

snufkin

Hi,

I am applying for the PMV to move to Tasmania with my fiance hopefully at the end of this year/beginning of next year. I have been to Australia twice for a total of 8 months but never been to Tasmania.

I'm not expecting it to be as hot as Queensland but what is the weather like? Are the winters as bad as in the UK or warmer?

And does anyone have an info on employment, I am a teacher here in the UK but still not sure that my qualification will be accepted in Australia and not even sure if I can work in private schools without being a registered teacher. So may have to find alternative employment.

Thanks for your help

The winters in the populated areas of Tasmania are not as cold as the UK.

You don't mention a specific place but here are the monthly climate stats for Hobart:

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/climate/station.jsp?lt=site&lc=94029

The coldest month (July) has mean minimum and maximum temperatures of 4.6 and 11.7C.

You will need to have state registration to work as a teacher in any school. This is the website for the Teachers Registration Board of Tasmania. If you contact them I am sure they will let you know how many hoops you have to jump through! :biggrin:

http://www.trb.tas.gov.au/default.aspx

• 2 months later...

Hi

We have been in Tassie for eighteen months now and love it. the weather is great, little rain and the winters do get cold but nothing like the UK. I too had never been to Tassie but just got a good feeling about it and moved to the Launceston region. Its the number one family friendly city in Australia! Good luck and if you have any questions about the north of Tassie just ask. I dont know much about jobs as a school teacher.

:wink:

• 1 month later...

It's great in Tassie!

The weather is great, I can honestly say a whole different league of weather to the UK, and I'm from Cornwall. Regular warm sunny days all year round without the lengthy really hot periods of the mainland.

I don't know about employment for teachers, in my industry (IT) it's reasonable and in my wife's (health) it's pretty good. You will need to check the rules for teachers though if you do want to work as a teacher. As a minimum I'd guess you need your skills assessed.

Good luck!