What annoys you most on PIO? Part deux

Harpodom

Guest chris955

It is absolutely ridiculous to type a message and try and 'sound' Scottish, especially when he then comes on and posts properly.

Someone on here that annoys the crap out of me (think of the name given to an unidentified body or person) who follows me around pulling me up and 'correcting' me. I never reply to anything he says to me which must drive him mad but a more sanctimonious prat I have yet to meet.

EW alluded to this: the military/ex military types who infer that you're a pathetic failure if you dont like Aus. They can get quite unpleasant.

They're vile, with their back-slapping over how they've got the balls and the ingenuity to 'make it' here, whilst the 'failures' slink off back to the UK. It's like a golf-club bar on here when they're posting en masse.

I also struggle with the defensive Australians / hard-core Waussies (who've been here since God was in short trousers), who freak when someone makes a criticism of the place. I should know, I share my life with one after all!. It does say a lot about Australia's lack of critical reflection that people react like scalded cats when someone points out it's short-comings. I can think of two posters in particular who always get affronted by criticism and either refuse to acknowledge the legitimacy of the post, or who immediately try and find some counter evidence that the UK is worse!. Having that kind of mindset can't be healthy can it, it's taking over-identification way too far?!. Just accept it for God's sake, that nowhere's sodding perfect!

It is absolutely ridiculous to type a message and try and 'sound' Scottish, especially when he then comes on and posts properly.

Someone on here that annoys the crap out of me (think of the name given to an unidentified body or person) who follows me around pulling me up and 'correcting' me. I never reply to anything he says to me which must drive him mad but a more sanctimonious prat I have yet to meet.

All the more reason to keep on doing it!

Guest chris955
All the more reason to keep on doing it!

Absolutely, I will never respond to anything and it will stay that way. He gets so worked up about stuff. LOL

I assume you and Harpodom are both English, I wonder if you realise that Scots is a different language to English, it is not simply a different accent or dialect but is classified as a language. English and Scots developed separately from Germanic languages.

Of course you can then argue why post in Scots on an English speaking site and I am not defending him but Scots is both a spoken and written language and with a rise in nationalism more and more literature is being published in Scots, including some translations from English to Scots. If you are really keen there are even Scots language classes!

As for what annoys me most, people planning to migrate or who have migrated complaining about migrants! People that don't know the difference between assylum seekers and illegal immigrants, people that hijack a thread to make a point especially if the post is asking for help, people who don't acknowledge your post when you have really gone out of your way to try and help, people born with a silver spoon in their mouth who judge others for claiming benefits or having debt, actually these aren't specific to PIO they just annoy me!

Just to follow on Scots language I've just read that essays at Glasgow University can be submitted in either Scots or English and Scots Language can be studied up to Ph.D level. Well a n'er ken tha' :biggrin:

Edited by Lady Rainicorn