Have you managed with less than 10k

lauracoldwell

good luck to you!! we are moving to Perth on a 457 visa in around 3 weeks (hopefully if the visa comes soon) my partner has a job with immediate start and we are renting my friends house so thats all sorted. we have two little one and reckon we will be lucky to have $3000 with us...eek. Im confident we will be fine though :)

You can do it with less than 10 grand but it is very hard we came 4 years ago with not lots of money, we had a budget every week which i tried to substain. I must admit now the 1st 2 years were pretty rough & tough but we stuck it out now we have managed to save quiet a bit & have a very comfortamble life. GOOD LUCK

The fact that wages are paid every week or two, rather than monthly makes a big big dufference as well. From the caravan story, you will be.fine - its the people who say they need a BMW, to eat out every night and all the latedt gadgrts the second they land that will have a bit of an issue, nit sensible peeps like you :) hopefully see you around Adelaide later this year then :D

Hi there, just being nosy...where are you off to in Adelaide. We have changed the area we are moving to four times and still not decided!!!

Hello, we are staying with our friends in the Barossa Valley for 4 weeks and then we are headed to Glenelg :) I know its so hard to choose somewhere. where are you looking at? x

The fact that wages are paid every week or two, rather than monthly makes a big big dufference as well. From the caravan story, you will be.fine - its the people who say they need a BMW, to eat out every night and all the latedt gadgrts the second they land that will have a bit of an issue, nit sensible peeps like you :) hopefully see you around Adelaide later this year then :D

Hello positive pixie,

Thanks for your reply its good to hear from someone that lives in Adelaide that we will manage.:cute: Me and Mark have our heads firmly screwed on and understand that we will probably have to do without for a few months having ''stuff'' doesnt overly concern me as long as i can afford a bottle of wine to sit out and drink when the hot weather comes I am happy haha. The reason I took the job is the weekly pay, i just think that you can budget so much better and save easier too. You'll have to give me some good places to go shopping. when I was last in Aus I was shopping at Coles but I think that even since 07 the prices have shot up? x

Hello positive pixie,

Thanks for your reply its good to hear from someone that lives in Adelaide that we will manage.:cute: Me and Mark have our heads firmly screwed on and understand that we will probably have to do without for a few months having ''stuff'' doesnt overly concern me as long as i can afford a bottle of wine to sit out and drink when the hot weather comes I am happy haha. The reason I took the job is the weekly pay, i just think that you can budget so much better and save easier too. You'll have to give me some good places to go shopping. when I was last in Aus I was shopping at Coles but I think that even since 07 the prices have shot up? x

We're not in Adelaide yet unfortunately - still on the road on our 'slightly longer than' 12 months trip around the country....hopefully we will be there soon, but I can't see how prices can be that much different from other big cities :)

The weekly pay is so fab, isn't it? :D you can do an online shop in coles if you want to check prices - they have some good online offers as well that change each week, so that would give you a base line of food costs, although its cheaper to find the discount meat place, the cheap greengrocers etc etc, so you'll probably find that would be the mist expensive it would be. If hubby and I go mad in coles or woolies we spend around $200, that includes stocking up on things like herbs, sandwich bags, laundry powder and loads of treats, a normal shop woulf be around $120 and a poverty shop around $60 for the weeks food, but we like to eat, and hubby likes carbohydrate treats, which cost a fortune - coles do a 500g pack of regular beef mince for $3 now, so you're not going to starve on spag bol every night lol :)

As soon as we've got to Adelaide and worked out the cheap places to go (am still holding my breathe for a Costco by the end of the year!) I'll be putting all the details on our website lol - its the kind of thing that's useful when you're moving somewhere :)

Glenelg sounds lovely - goodness only knows where we will end up! Have a lot to sort out before then, transitioning from living in a camper, to selling it, finding somewhere to live, registering as a teacher and sorting out all the other details gives me a headache lol!

We're not in Adelaide yet unfortunately - still on the road on our 'slightly longer than' 12 months trip around the country....hopefully we will be there soon, but I can't see how prices can be that much different from other big cities :)

The weekly pay is so fab, isn't it? :D you can do an online shop in coles if you want to check prices - they have some good online offers as well that change each week, so that would give you a base line of food costs, although its cheaper to find the discount meat place, the cheap greengrocers etc etc, so you'll probably find that would be the mist expensive it would be. If hubby and I go mad in coles or woolies we spend around $200, that includes stocking up on things like herbs, sandwich bags, laundry powder and loads of treats, a normal shop woulf be around $120 and a poverty shop around $60 for the weeks food, but we like to eat, and hubby likes carbohydrate treats, which cost a fortune - coles do a 500g pack of regular beef mince for $3 now, so you're not going to starve on spag bol every night lol :)

As soon as we've got to Adelaide and worked out the cheap places to go (am still holding my breathe for a Costco by the end of the year!) I'll be putting all the details on our website lol - its the kind of thing that's useful when you're moving somewhere :)

Glenelg sounds lovely - goodness only knows where we will end up! Have a lot to sort out before then, transitioning from living in a camper, to selling it, finding somewhere to live, registering as a teacher and sorting out all the other details gives me a headache lol!

Morning Positive pixe. I bet you are having the time of your life on your trip :) I travelled around in 05 and 07 and fell in love with Darwin however, my head told me it is too humid to settle there on a perm basis.

So i did a check on coles and worked out for the first few weeks we could live off about $40 per week for food which is good. Also the dog food looks not a bad price. They are used to the best food here but they will have to make sacrifices like me and Mark haha :biggrin:.

Glenelg looks amazing but we have also been looking at the Morphett Vale area, I would love to live by the sea BUT prices in Morphett Vale are significantly lower but it would only be a short term compromise.

When you do settle I would love to meet up for a coffee and to hear all about your travels? x

Hello Laura,

You will manage perfectly well with 7K; I moved over last year, although I had 20k saved I planned to exchange currency in 2.5k increments so as to average out exchange rate fluctuations.

In the event I only ever needed the first 2.5k increment and I didn't get paid until approx 7 weeks after arrival. This has worked to my advantage as the exchange rate is so poor the pounds really don't go far. I have been much better off leaving the rest of my savings in the UK and off-setting mortgage / using regular savings. I may look at bringing the remainder over at a later date but atm this is far from certain.

With regard currency exchange I would definitely recommend tracking the rates and looking out for opportune moment to transfer. Apart from the difference in intraday rate you will also find that the brokers rates update at different times of day, you can use this to your advantage. I found that even for 2.5k a relatively small difference in rate amounted to a few hundred dollars; a few hundred dollars amounts to a weeks budget.

Good luck

Morning Positive pixe. I bet you are having the time of your life on your trip :) I travelled around in 05 and 07 and fell in love with Darwin however, my head told me it is too humid to settle there on a perm basis.

So i did a check on coles and worked out for the first few weeks we could live off about $40 per week for food which is good. Also the dog food looks not a bad price. They are used to the best food here but they will have to make sacrifices like me and Mark haha :biggrin:.

Glenelg looks amazing but we have also been looking at the Morphett Vale area, I would love to live by the sea BUT prices in Morphett Vale are significantly lower but it would only be a short term compromise.

When you do settle I would love to meet up for a coffee and to hear all about your travels? x[/quote

Sorry for the late reply - travellibg and regular internet connections are not things that go together lol.

Dog food has caused a couple of giggles due to it being next to the human meat, something were still not over...

We so have no idea where in Adelaide we are going to be - put the camper up for sale today (sob) and will probably be in Adelaide tomorrow or the day after, so will start looking then!

Will definately have to meet up for coffee when you get here - so sad to be leaving the travels behind, I think people will get sick of me talking about it lol :)

Glad to hear other experiences and also that 10K should be enough. We haven't even submitted our visa app yet and have 12-18 months of saving ahead of us yet. but with 2 little ones and not much disposable income it's gonna be tough and not sure if we'll even have that much!

I'm from australia, and am moving home after 9 years in UK and I know prices have risen alot during that time.

Love this forum - get so excited seeing everyone else talking about their move! x

• 2 months later...

Have just seen this thread.

how much would you say I need to budget, only two of us.

I am wanting to move over just trying to convince the OH, I could be in a position where in can move to my current UK employers factory in NSW, would be planning on renting small place fairly close so could Bike the short journey.

How much roughly does it cost to ship belongings over etc.

I had read of people shipping current car over and registering in oz?

**EDIT**

Have just seen this thread.how much would you say I need to budget, only two of us.

I am wanting to move over just trying to convince the OH, I could be in a position where in can move to my current UK employers factory in NSW (so hopefully work would be nearly instant, not sure about how often they pay at the moment it's monthly),

​ would be planning on renting small place fairly close so could Bike the short journey.

How much roughly does it cost to ship belongings over etc.

I had read of people shipping current car over and registering in oz?

Archived