Starting the adventure....

nspark1

Hi guys,

Im looking to head over in December/January

I'll apply for a tourist visa as i want to travel for a few months and then apply for whv.

I just have a few questions regarding life over there while on a whv and the options after using both whv's.

Is it hard to find a job with reasonable hours and pay. Im an electrician, but seems hard to find work without an A Grade license. It would be ideal to acquire one while im there, but its seems pretty strenuous.

Is it hard to make ends meet over there? Im constantly reading that Aus isnt as easy as it you to be. Many pom's coming over and cant find work. Im 24 and have no ties over here. My friends are a little older than me and nearly all are married or have kids. Im also pretty bored with life here and fancy a new adventure.

Looking at heading to Perth? Any thoughts on this location?

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

You cant apply for a WHV within Australia, therefore it would be better to go over on a WHV, rather than a Visitors visa first. Also if you are carrying any work documents, CV qualifications you could be refused entry on your visitors visa, and get 3 year ban.

Go over on WHV, and look to do the 3 month regional work in the 1st year and then apply for 2nd year if you want more time to travel. You dont need to do the 3 months at once you can split it up in smaller bits. Also you can work for the same employer for 6 months on 1st WHV and 6 months on 2nd WHV, therefore potentially 1 year with same employer.

Wouldn't i be wasting work time by travelling around?

I thought about the issue with carrying work related documents, so as mad as it sounds im going to leave a copy of them with my uncle who lives in Thailand. Its not far away and i'll be going there at some point.

I just don't want to waste my whv. Also, i'll look into getting a A grade license as many people do that while on a whv.

Well you can travel and work, plus if you do 88 days of agricultural work you can apply for a 2nd WHV. Going on a WHV visa to Australia is cheaper, you will only have to buy a single tickets and have some savings (although they do not check that all the time). But going on a tourist visa you need to have a return tickets and they will check savings because you won't be able to work. If you're an electrician, while you're on WHV you can find an employer who will sponsor you for a permanent visa and then you will have all the time in the world. I believe being an electrician, you will be able to find a sponsor quickly.

Also remember, that when you're on WHV you can only work for one employer up to 6 months, and some companies wont hire you because of that restriction unless you're planning on applying for a sponsored working visa.

I would look into it a lot more, and I believe its a much better option to come our here on WHV first.

Well you can travel and work, plus if you do 88 days of agricultural work you can apply for a 2nd WHV. Going on a WHV visa to Australia is cheaper, you will only have to buy a single tickets and have some savings (although they do not check that all the time). But going on a tourist visa you need to have a return tickets and they will check savings because you won't be able to work. If you're an electrician, while you're on WHV you can find an employer who will sponsor you for a permanent visa and then you will have all the time in the world. I believe being an electrician, you will be able to find a sponsor quickly.

Also remember, that when you're on WHV you can only work for one employer up to 6 months, and some companies wont hire you because of that restriction unless you're planning on applying for a sponsored working visa.

I would look into it a lot more, and I believe its a much better option to come our here on WHV first.

Thanks for the positive reply.

I hope i'd find a sponsor too, but it seems pretty tough going. It would be awful after ravelling for a while and then when your ready to work finding out you cant find any work in your field.

Thanks for the positive reply.

I hope i'd find a sponsor too, but it seems pretty tough going. It would be awful after ravelling for a while and then when your ready to work finding out you cant find any work in your field.

I heard that in W.A there are a lot of jobs, you can go work as an electrician on the mines, and the mines count as part of agricultural work too if that does not work out. Otherwise here in Regional W.A there are so many houses being built and such, I've seen a lot of ad's in the paper for electricians.

I just think it would be a better idea to go on a Working Holiday Visa, there will always be a job somewhere, even if its in a bar, the wages are good and you can earn more money for more travel. :)

Very true reply.

I think you've got to be there and then search and not by reading and replying on forums. Word of mouth out there too. i wouldnt mind doing other jobs for experience and the laughs. Also, the fear of finally settling in after two years and then you have to leave : (

There is a big demand for sparkys, the only issue will be finding he work fast. Australia is great but very expensive, wages are high ( and certainly much better than the UK!) which makes up for it, but it would be wise to have a nest egg to keep you going until work turns up, if you can try to make work contacts before you head out there, it will make thing so much easier.

Perth is great but I have had friends there who say it can be a little dull.

I was in Sydney which was great ( although expensive) alot of people say Melbourne is the place to be, I never lived there so couldn't comment, but is very trendy.

You could really do anything to be honest, I went out there having worked hospitality my whole life, but then ended up in corporate event management, so very different, then I got sponsored by the company and didn't have to leave!

Anything can happen when you go out there and if you want to stay you can make it happen if you really want it.

One thing for sure is that it has 3 times the opportunity that the UK currently has, due to the fact that OZ just missed the effects of the recession, as a result of the mining industry. It took me 2 months to get a full time job ( I had 2 part time jobs straight away) but then I was on about 5.5 times the wage I was earning in the UK. Literally.

Either way, whatever happens you will have an amazing time!

Good Luck!

Electricians are a bit of a contentious subject here as it is apparently quite the ballache to get your UK quals transferred over. That being said, there is still loads of work in construction mate particularly in Perth.

Perth is where i had in mind. You are correct regarding transferring over uk certs for an oz licence. Seems a 12 month logbook is needed and you have to be working to complete the book. Seems very difficult to get in a TA.

You'll get work as a TA no problem mate, I know several who are doing it. A lot of the issue on here (the forum) is that time served and previously self employed sparkies (and their wives) don't like being told what to do by aussie tradies, read between the lines in the posts, and of course the lower money. They think they are going to come over here and earn big money and go self employed straight away. For some trades like welders and heavy diesel fitters that is true but not for sparks, due, I think justifiably to the risks to health posed. It's all very well saying Oz is 30 years behind in electrics when the bottom line is that they coming from the UK>Aus, not vice versa.

If you can handle that then there shudnt be a problem, and yes they do sponsor TA's. In fact they sponsor anyone they like as long as the work ethic is there and the need, ignore the bitter PR naysayers on here mate. I know labourers and waitresses who've been sponsored the trick is to find the right company to begin with.

Perth is where i had in mind. You are correct regarding transferring over uk certs for an oz licence. Seems a 12 month logbook is needed and you have to be working to complete the book. Seems very difficult to get in a TA.

I love living in W.A, Geraldton. So nice over here, best part of Aus for me.

You'll get work as a TA no problem mate, I know several who are doing it. A lot of the issue on here (the forum) is that time served and previously self employed sparkies (and their wives) don't like being told what to do by aussie tradies, read between the lines in the posts, and of course the lower money. They think they are going to come over here and earn big money and go self employed straight away. For some trades like welders and heavy diesel fitters that is true but not for sparks, due, I think justifiably to the risks to health posed. It's all very well saying Oz is 30 years behind in electrics when the bottom line is that they coming from the UK>Aus, not vice versa.

If you can handle that then there shudnt be a problem, and yes they do sponsor TA's. In fact they sponsor anyone they like as long as the work ethic is there and the need, ignore the bitter PR naysayers on here mate. I know labourers and waitresses who've been sponsored the trick is to find the right company to begin with.

Sounds very promising!

You're right with regards to sparks wanting to come over and fall straight into a job similar to here. Im under no illusion that i would get that. Im happy to work as a TA as i'll get an understanding of how the other side, so to speak, spark.

I want to try oz as im so bored here and all my friends have settled down. I feel its my time to see what else is out there!

Sounds very promising!

You're right with regards to sparks wanting to come over and fall straight into a job similar to here. Im under no illusion that i would get that. Im happy to work as a TA as i'll get an understanding of how the other side, so to speak, spark.

I want to try oz as im so bored here and all my friends have settled down. I feel its my time to see what else is out there!

I think times have gone bad in England now, everything going into administration, my mum is back in London and she see's businesses closing down almost on daily basis, now that can't be a good sign. I used to live in Norwich when I was back in England (I went to uni there), and now speaking to my best friend who is coming over here on the 11th of March 2013, everything has changed there, and so many of my favorite places have closed down :(

To say the least, I am very glad to be here in Australia right now, as my future look's a lot brighter.

I first came here on a WHV, and was going to get sponsored by the restaurant I was working for, but talking it over with my Australia partner, him and I decided that I may not want to work for the same restaurant for a long period of time as my interest is in Early Childhood education, so he sponsored me as a de-facto partner for a visa (still waiting for that to be fully approved), and now I am finally working in Early Childhood.

If I was in England, I think I would still be waiting on tables, and that is not the type of future I want for myself.

My point being, if a restaurant was going to sponsor me, then a company is going to be more than willing to sponsor someone of your trade.

I think times have gone bad in England now, everything going into administration, my mum is back in London and she see's businesses closing down almost on daily basis, now that can't be a good sign. I used to live in Norwich when I was back in England (I went to uni there), and now speaking to my best friend who is coming over here on the 11th of March 2013, everything has changed there, and so many of my favorite places have closed down :(

To say the least, I am very glad to be here in Australia right now, as my future look's a lot brighter.

I first came here on a WHV, and was going to get sponsored by the restaurant I was working for, but talking it over with my Australia partner, him and I decided that I may not want to work for the same restaurant for a long period of time as my interest is in Early Childhood education, so he sponsored me as a de-facto partner for a visa (still waiting for that to be fully approved), and now I am finally working in Early Childhood.

If I was in England, I think I would still be waiting on tables, and that is not the type of future I want for myself.

My point being, if a restaurant was going to sponsor me, then a company is going to be more than willing to sponsor someone of your trade.

You must be thrilled to have escaped and finally be in the job you wanted.

How are you liking oz?

England is pretty much screwed. Im lucky to be on the books of my company. I would be going from company to company if i wasnt with them. Thats the thing that makes me wonder, if i cant make it out there, then im coming back to hard times. But i feel life has a way of working itself out. I suppose you have to believe and work hard.

Im going to give it a go as you only live once. Could be the best decision i've made. Or i just come home, but i don't want to be thinking like that.

You must be thrilled to have escaped and finally be in the job you wanted.

How are you liking oz?

England is pretty much screwed. Im lucky to be on the books of my company. I would be going from company to company if i wasnt with them. Thats the thing that makes me wonder, if i cant make it out there, then im coming back to hard times. But i feel life has a way of working itself out. I suppose you have to believe and work hard.

Im going to give it a go as you only live once. Could be the best decision i've made. Or i just come home, but i don't want to be thinking like that.

You do only live once, and its awesome here, I'm loving it, everything about it. Its great to feel secure here, and I do feel very secure, I feel I can have a great future and have a great set up to have kids and giving them the best I can.

My mum was very supportive of me coming here, and now my best friends mum is being just as supportive. I am 24 years old and feel like I have a good plan for a great future, I did not feel the same when I was working back in England, I felt like I was living day to day, constantly struggling to meet ends, worrying about whether or not I am going to have for all the bills. Its scary living in England, you don't know what is going to happen next.

This was the best move I have ever made for me :)

Wouldn't i be wasting work time by travelling around?

I thought about the issue with carrying work related documents, so as mad as it sounds im going to leave a copy of them with my uncle who lives in Thailand. Its not far away and i'll be going there at some point.

I just don't want to waste my whv. Also, i'll look into getting a A grade license as many people do that while on a whv.

That's not what a WHV is for as you will be well aware off ,plus your young dont work all the time enjoy yourself life to short to be worrying about a licence just yet.I went and spent a summer away working in bars after my time was out and loved it loads of time to be stuck on site later in life good luck anyway

You do only live once, and its awesome here, I'm loving it, everything about it. Its great to feel secure here, and I do feel very secure, I feel I can have a great future and have a great set up to have kids and giving them the best I can.

My mum was very supportive of me coming here, and now my best friends mum is being just as supportive. I am 24 years old and feel like I have a good plan for a great future, I did not feel the same when I was working back in England, I felt like I was living day to day, constantly struggling to meet ends, worrying about whether or not I am going to have for all the bills. Its scary living in England, you don't know what is going to happen next.

This was the best move I have ever made for me :)

That must be such a good feeling for you.

My parents are also very supportive of me going. They said you only live once, so why not?

Im also 24. As said before my friends are all settling down, so its time.

I find myself coming home from work and doing nothing and the same for weekends. Or if i go out, then its to the same boring place. I know its going to be the same working hours, maybe longer, but work doesn't bother me. I enjoy sparking. As you and many others say, its a different life out there. Being able to plan for the weekend etc. What do you love about Aus?

That's not what a WHV is for as you will be well aware off ,plus your young dont work all the time enjoy yourself life to short to be worrying about a licence just yet.I went and spent a summer away working in bars after my time was out and loved it loads of time to be stuck on site later in life good luck anyway

I fully understand thats not what its for. I plan to travel and experience new things. When i read the stories of others, it makes me want to go even more. I hear you with saying plenty of time to be stuck on a site ha! I suppose im thinking that if i fell in love with Aus then i'd want to get my licence to stay. I know i wont get it on a whv. i just meant that id look into gaining the licence while im on the whv. Are you still in Aus?

That must be such a good feeling for you.

My parents are also very supportive of me going. They said you only live once, so why not?

Im also 24. As said before my friends are all settling down, so its time.

I find myself coming home from work and doing nothing and the same for weekends. Or if i go out, then its to the same boring place. I know its going to be the same working hours, maybe longer, but work doesn't bother me. I enjoy sparking. As you and many others say, its a different life out there. Being able to plan for the weekend etc. What do you love about Aus?

The weather, the people, the accent, the place where I live, its gorgeous. I love being always so close to the beach, and beaches are gorgeous here, sand dunes, sunsets over the Indian ocean, sunrise from the east. I love the fact that I now look forward to the rain, as it does not come often here in mid-west W.A. The roads are a dream to drive on, so spacious :) I could go on forever to be honest, there are a lot of things I love.

There is a big demand for sparkys, the only issue will be finding he work fast. Australia is great but very expensive, wages are high ( and certainly much better than the UK!) which makes up for it, but it would be wise to have a nest egg to keep you going until work turns up, if you can try to make work contacts before you head out there, it will make thing so much easier.

Perth is great but I have had friends there who say it can be a little dull.

I was in Sydney which was great ( although expensive) alot of people say Melbourne is the place to be, I never lived there so couldn't comment, but is very trendy.

You could really do anything to be honest, I went out there having worked hospitality my whole life, but then ended up in corporate event management, so very different, then I got sponsored by the company and didn't have to leave!

Anything can happen when you go out there and if you want to stay you can make it happen if you really want it.

One thing for sure is that it has 3 times the opportunity that the UK currently has, due to the fact that OZ just missed the effects of the recession, as a result of the mining industry. It took me 2 months to get a full time job ( I had 2 part time jobs straight away) but then I was on about 5.5 times the wage I was earning in the UK. Literally.

Either way, whatever happens you will have an amazing time!

Good Luck!

I know your location says South West, Uk, but are you still in Aus?

The weather, the people, the accent, the place where I live, its gorgeous. I love being always so close to the beach, and beaches are gorgeous here, sand dunes, sunsets over the Indian ocean, sunrise from the east. I love the fact that I now look forward to the rain, as it does not come often here in mid-west W.A. The roads are a dream to drive on, so spacious :) I could go on forever to be honest, there are a lot of things I love.

Thats amazing!

It seems to be families struggling when going over. I suppose they need income straight away, which is understandable, esp with kids. Also, seems to be common with many not finding work instantly. I wont be rushing into looking to spark etc, as i want to travel and be free, so to speak. See different parts of Aus. In a way, get a feel for the country. I met a few Aussie lads in Thailand and they were great guys. It will be daunting at first, but just think positively. 2 years ago i would never have thought about going alone, but now i want to : )

Archived