IT PM Outlook

Bromney

Hey guys,

Does anyone have any insight into the IT project management market in Sydney? Any recruiters, hiring managers, IT PMs seeking jobs here?

I've had one interview after applying directly but the recruiters havent put me forward for a single role, in fact I've been out right rejected for some. I always tailor my CV and agents/former colleagues agree my CV looks good.

Is the job market quite or is local experience really preferred? I work in financial services and I believe my skills are very much transferable.

Cheers.

Hi Bromney,

It is tough at the moment. I'm in Melbourne in the same field and have been out of work since end June.

For many ads the agencies receive 100+ responses so it is very tough to get an interview. Most jobs from the big companies are also listed with multiple agencies.

You really need to match exactly what they're looking for or you will find it tough.

Do you have PRINCE2 Practitioner and/or PMP certifications ?

They are helpful too.

Just have to keep persevering. And if you only have overseas experience that may count against you in this market.

Although I think it can look good if you have worked for large UK bank or similar.

Hi Parleycross,

Firstly, best wishes for your job hunt, hope you find something soon.

You're right, it seems to a candidate heavy market which has surprised me. I am PRINCE2 certified and have worked for a large US bank and an Australian bank (in london) believe it or not. I thnk my CV needs to be even more tailored if I'm going to stand out.

I'm sure something will work out for us both sooner or later, preferably sooner!

Archived