190 visa points

dsgas

Hi all,

Im confused with points awarded for the 190 visa, on the skills assessment for general plumber.

Say for example i have worked for 6 years as a plumber in the uk.

My apprenticeship started from the start of that 6 years and took 3 years to complete.

Does this give me 10 points for qualification and 5 points for skilled employment(3 years post qualification)?

Or does this give me 10 points for qualification and 10 points for skilled employment(6 years in skilled employment)?

Many thanks,

David

Point for skilled employment are awarded post qualification. So you will only be awarded points for the amount of time you have worked as a qualified plumber. i.e. as an apprentice you weren't "Skilled" in the true meaning of the sense, you were acquiring your skill.

Edited by mattybe

See I've heard so many different views on this.

It asks if you have been working for 3 years in the skilled occupation or one closely matched to it.

I started as a spark at the perfect time 2009 lol, so I couldn't get an apprenticeship so I paid for it myself

and worked when I could and volunteered for the first few years, I then went self employed through

agencies to gain further experience to gain my NVQ3.

Now, I've spoken to a MARA agent and he said that my pre qualification experience could be counted because

i had been working as an improver so you can't really get much closer to a spark without being one.

I then called vetassess in QLD a couple of nights ago and they informed me that their guidelines state a

minimum of 2 years is recommended but not compulsory. They explained to me that if I could show that

I was working to a sufficient level prior the NVQ being passed I'd be fine and it would be down to me being

able to prove it in the practical examinations.

Now I've been working to a high enough standard as most companies have been using me as a cheap spark

and leaving me to it, also this is outlined by the work carried out in my portfolio.

Ive also had people say, but only on here not an officially, that they want 5 years and won't accept you without

an apprenticeship, I don't really see the difference as I did the same course in the same classes with apprentices

in the same amount of time and worked for the same amount of time, only difference was that I paid for mine

and found work in other ways.

Anyway, I hit the 60 points mark without the 3 years and I won't be applying for another 18 months or so

but it would be nice to get the extra 5 points.