Considering Aus

Laura2013

Hi I am a 19 year old student not feeling too great about Uni at the moment and feeling very tempted to spend a year or two in Oz.

How much money would a year need? Including visa, accommodation etc

Also, bit worried about going alone, Is anyone in the same situation??

Laura in all honesty I would suggest sticking it out at university, perhaps changing to another course if you are not enoying the current one.

You can get a one year WHV to Australia and I believe they recommend having about 5k in the bank, if you do three months of regional work you might be able to get another one year visa. Most WHV holders are a little older than you as far as I can tell, in their 20's, I think that you could get more out of the experience if you held off for a few more years.

Hi, I have to say that I was in the same boat as you are now a couple of years ago. I really didn't enjoy uni at all but I decided to stick it out and I got my degree in June last year. Now i'm working full time to save for heading over on a working holiday in september and I can't wait. You need to have about $5000 AUD in the bank.

I was advised to stick it out at uni by people who took gap years and said that they found it very difficult to get back into the swing of studying. Having said that if your course is not something that you are enjoying at all or you have changed your mind about what you want to do with your life then perhaps staying at uni isn't the best thing for you. If you need any advice i'm happy to help! :)

Hey! Thank you yeah I know it would be the best thing to do to stay at Uni but having a nightmare with exams and with the new £9,000 a year cost don't think I could contemplate resitting!

I have a friend in Adelaide who says I could live with her for a while, just a bit skeptical about finding work.

I really dont know, its something I really really want to do and have wanted to for a long time, its just if I have the courage to go! Its so scary!

xxx

The thing is, you only get one WHV (with a possible extension to the 2nd if you do 3 months regional work), use this now, when you have no qualifications behind you and it may end up being wasted. If you stuck out your degree, at least got some qualifications, and then you take your WHV, you may end up really liking it, and want to stay a bit longer.

As you stand now, with no higher education quals, you would be very unlikely to gain sponsorship. Dependent on what your degree is in you may be able to find work in that field. And the WHV gives you time to do that.

If it were me I'd hang on, not use that once in a lifetime opportunity just yet, wait until I had qualifications and money to afford to do the experience well, then see where it leads.

With Uni quals you may have far more choice, with no quals you have virtually none if you wanted to stay in Australia longer term..

Yes I would love to stay at Uni and get a degree, its accounting by the way but I need another option if I fail. I am already in £20,000 debt I cant go and spend another £20,000-£40000.

It sounds ridiculous but I just feel I belong there, both my parents were about to move but a job in the UK came up at the last minute!

Yes I would love to stay at Uni and get a degree, its accounting by the way but I need another option if I fail. I am already in £20,000 debt I cant go and spend another £20,000-£40000.

It sounds ridiculous but I just feel I belong there, both my parents were about to move but a job in the UK came up at the last minute!

Accountancy is a very high paying occupation, when I was working in London in 2005 the newly qualified ones, so about 25 years old were walking into jobs paying GBP50k. Your potential earnings can more that cover those debts, well that is how you have to look at it. I would still try to limit them though, GBP20k after one year seems high, maybe you need to be more careful about your spending and look to find some part time work in holidays as well.

The post that most resonates with me is post #6. The WHV might come in a lot more useful for you later, you use it now, you will go over, pick up unskilled work in bars and shops and it will never be a foot in the door to a permanent move. You use it as a newly qualified acountant say and it could easily open doors.

Hi, well £20,000 for 2 years is 3,500 tuition, 4500 rent and then the rest living. Yes I do see your point I would like more than anything to be a qualified accountant but if I cant pass the exams there's not much I can do :( Thank you anyway

Just really try and knuckle down Laura. I too have been through those tough times, but in the end, once you finally make it, you will be able to look back and know it has been worth it. You really will give yourself far more opportunities. A more permanent move to Australia could be very realistic with that qualification, but as you are now it really wouldn't...

Can you talk to a lecturer about extra help? Or can you access student services who may be able to tutor you in more effective ways of learning? Sometimes that is really helpful, people learn in different ways, and maybe you just haven't found the best way for you yet.

Archived