Beginner Visa advice : 457 - temp/perm residency

TheBronzeMedal

Hello people, Im new to this so dont bite ;)

Im a 23 year old Scottish lad, healthy and clean records on me and licences. I have just finished my two year working holiday visa in Australia, Im a caprenter/Joiner and I have great refferances in O.Z. I want to live there to come and go at my please. Not sure what I apply for although I have been all over the immi.gov. I have an o.z bank account, car & bike licence already after my travels.

Im seeking advice on visas.

1 - Is it better to get my own 457, how much and what would be involved in this process.

2 - Or is it easier to get Sponsored for two years then apply for temp.

3 - Or as Iv been there for two years on my working holiday can I apply for my temperary residency now.

4 - Or reaching very far can I apply for my perment residence now after my two year working holiday.

Any advice you give will be greatly appreciated.

Anyone can apply for PR straight away, the deciding factor as to whether it will be granted will be based on your skills and experience etc. You can either go for skilled independent migration, where you would need to submit an expression of interest, meet the minimum requirement of 60 points, and then get put in to a pool and wait for an invite, or you can go down the 457 long stay skilled visa route. The 457 visa does not mean you automatically move to PR, or are granted it. If you were able to get a 457 it is essentially a working visa, that is renewable, but has no indefinite period to remain. You would need to apply for PR subsequent to that visa - with the costs that entails.

The 457 route means you need to find an employer who is willing (and able) to meet the requirements for sponsorship, and you then submit your documents also. However, this is often a very difficult pathway for trades people. There just aren't the sponsorship jobs there for you, its the case of right place right time I think... You can't 'get your own' 457 visa, as this is not something you can apply for unless you are nominated.

Regarding point 3, this doesn't really make sense... there is no such thing as temporary residency - unless it is because of a 457 or maybe a bridging visa.

To apply for a skilled independent visa you would need to pass a skills assessment. Have a look to see how you would go for that.

As has been said, a 457 visa will be near impossible for you as most trade jobs are employed on a casual or self employed basis. For a company to be able to sponsor they need a certain number of perminent contracted employees.

Good luck. It took me 8 years to get back after my working holiday visa, and another five to get pr.

Hello people, Im new to this so dont bite ;)

Im a 23 year old Scottish lad, healthy and clean records on me and licences. I have just finished my two year working holiday visa in Australia, Im a caprenter/Joiner and I have great refferances in O.Z. I want to live there to come and go at my please. Not sure what I apply for although I have been all over the immi.gov. I have an o.z bank account, car & bike licence already after my travels.

Im seeking advice on visas.

1 - Is it better to get my own 457, how much and what would be involved in this process.

2 - Or is it easier to get Sponsored for two years then apply for temp.

3 - Or as Iv been there for two years on my working holiday can I apply for my temperary residency now.

4 - Or reaching very far can I apply for my perment residence now after my two year working holiday.

Any advice you give will be greatly appreciated.

I think maybe you are misunderstanding how the Australian system works.

You don't apply for "residency" temporary or otherwise, it is all about applying for a visa and some are permanent and some are temporary. Your WHV was a temporary visa, so you were a temporary resident, hence point number 3 in particular makes no sense. Neither does point number 2, if you are here on an employer sponsored visa then there is no "applying for temp" to be done after two years, you already are a temporary resident if you hold a temporary visa such as the 457. And finally theres is no such thing as "applying for permanent residency" it is all about applying for a visa.

As for your next step, well you cannot apply for a 457 visa yourself as it requires an employer sponsor. It is rare for trades to find employer sponsors.

Your occupation is one that I believe qualifies for skilled migration, these are the 189 and 190 visas that you can read about on www.immi.gov.au. Your two years on the WHV are largely irrelevant, other than it may help with points on the points test. I think this is your best bet, the process might seem daunting at first, you will need to do skills assessment and probably take an English test. But this is a permanent visa and so you would have your permanent residency from day one.

Thankyou all who are helping me out, this means alot.

What are the points for and how are they gained, I was led to believe that the points were for the english test for non native speakers, obviously I am mixed up. These matters are confusing and I wish to be on your side soon enough giving advice once Ive sussed this system.

• completed a skills assessment and/or a job ready program - How Much Will It Cost And How Is It Done?
  • taken an English-language test to prove you meet the English language requirement. - How Do I Do This? Also How Much?

Skills assessments vary by occupation, you need to see who is the assessing body for carpenters (possibly "TRA") and then google around or go to the TRA site (if they are the skills assessment body) and have a read, it will all be there.

You do not need to take an English test to prove your English language skills, you would be taking the English test to get points for your visa. The test is called IELTS it costs about GBP125.

http://www.ielts.org/

Yes it seems it is the TRA.

Just a small question within this page about the Skills Test on this page: http://www.immi.gov.au/asri/occupations/c/carpenter-and-joiner.htm#SKIA

At the 'LICENSING OR REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS' why is W.A not mentioned as im thinking of moving to Perth.

Also to collect your points is there some survey or point counted that I need to know about or is it just sending in all my papers and manually adding them up?

Sorry some of these questions are probably blatantly obvious.

Thankyou

Yes it seems it is the TRA.

Just a small question within this page about the Skills Test on this page: http://www.immi.gov.au/asri/occupations/c/carpenter-and-joiner.htm#SKIA

At the 'LICENSING OR REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS' why is W.A not mentioned as im thinking of moving to Perth.

Also to collect your points is there some survey or point counted that I need to know about or is it just sending in all my papers and manually adding them up?

Sorry some of these questions are probably blatantly obvious.

Thankyou

Worry about one thing at a time, process is complicated enough. You don't need to get licensed in order to get the visa, you need the skills assessment. Perhaps WA doesn't have licensing requirements or perhaps they missed it off, either way leave it until later.

So........to get a 189 visa I simply start by...

1 - I take my skills test, OSAP (offshore skills assesment program) at the cost of $?

2 - I do a IELTS test at the cost of $130

3 - I make an Expression of Interest.

After I get Invited to commence with the visa application I then submit one at the cost of $3060

At what point should I be getting my police check, health checks and Chest X-ray?

Any more details will be appreciated, I wish to understand to whole step before-hand so I know I can afford it all and procced at the fastest rate possible.

It would be defeating if I got 3/4 way and ran out of money of realised I could have done it easier.

Also how do I know if I need a IELTS test or a OET test as I already meet the 'english language threshold with owning a British passport' so the booklet says.

Police check, medicals etc will all be requested once you have a case officer assigned. As both have a limited time period before they expire there is no point getting them done before they are asked for by your case officer. Do them early and you risk expiry and having to pay to get them done again.

So........to get a 189 visa I simply start by...

1 - I take my skills test, OSAP (offshore skills assesment program) at the cost of $?

2 - I do a IELTS test at the cost of $130

3 - I make an Expression of Interest.

After I get Invited to commence with the visa application I then submit one at the cost of $3060

At what point should I be getting my police check, health checks and Chest X-ray?

Any more details will be appreciated, I wish to understand to whole step before-hand so I know I can afford it all and procced at the fastest rate possible.

It would be defeating if I got 3/4 way and ran out of money of realised I could have done it easier.

Also how do I know if I need a IELTS test or a OET test as I already meet the 'english language threshold with owning a British passport' so the booklet says.

Yes that is about the order of it, you would do police checks and medicals towards the end of thre process, when asked.

I have already said you are not doing the IELTS to prove your English, see post #6.

Archived