Shipping two dogs and a neurotic cat

Hi Bob lots of questions -we are shipping two female GSP'S aged 6 and a three year old cat. We are just at the start of the process of getting them already. We ideally would like a miracle to happen to allow all three to spend just 10 days in quarantine as one of our dogs has experienced enough separation in her life and our cat is very nervous of everything (except birds mice and spiders) - we tried asking our vet but they had little knowledge. They are all having boosters at the moment so how long after these could they feasibly have the rabies vac? We will end up moving a little ahead of them and they will stay at home with my adult children so no worries about them not being ready for may when we move. Are dogs allowed to go in joint cages? and is it true that they cant be given anything to help them sleep through the flight? :jiggy:

Dear Jiggy

the start of 10 day quarantine is still not planned, so please dont wait for it as governments move slowly and who knows when it will start.

In answer to your questions:

The team can have rabies vaccinations around 2-3 weeks after their normal vaccinations and then rabies blood samples around 3-4 weeks after the rabies vaccinations.

Yes the dogs can share runs in quarantine but not cages on the flight - but your cat will have to go separately.

And yes dogs and cats cant have medical grade sedatives when they are flying as it has been implicated in being bad for them. I know GSp's can be a bit worried, but once they go in their crates they settle down really well. We do spray them with a pheromone which helps and you can put something smelly from home in the crate.

Anything else let me know

Bob

http://www.petairuk.com

Hi,

I'm sure Bob will be along in a while to clarify the finer points....but in the meantime can I ask which way you are going ?

Your location info. says 'WA from South Yorks back to South Yorks' so of course if you're coming back to South Yorks there's no quarantine at all this way...but if you're going the other way (to Australia) there is....

If you're just starting the process now I think it's possible that your furry family will not be 'flight ready' until after the 10 day quarantine kicks in - IF it comes in around July 2013..... (a seven month run-in from the start of the year.....according to Bob - & he knows what he's talking about....)

You need to find a vet who is Government approved for dealing with international flights - and again Bob will have more info re. that.....

At any rate a vet who knows what they are doing is a comfort !

Finding a good 'animal-shipper' is the first step....so Bob can take you forward step by step....

They won't be given anything in flight, but they just sleep.....it's instinct....

Sadly my three reprobates will be flying back to Australia too early to benefit from the shorter quarantine....but as I plan to spend a couple of weeks with my son & his wife in South Korea on the way over, to say nothing of having to find a rental & buy a car etc. etc. I think I'm going to need the 30 days anyway !

All the best....& try not to worry.....easier said than done I know..... :yes: