Backpackers who worked at mines

saren

This may be an annoying question to ask as it's been asked before, but I'd like to hear from backpackers, and holidaymakers with direct experience, how did your jobhunt go within the Australian mining industry. I assume you searched for entry level, unskilled positions, no certificates, no driving license necessary, fifo (fly in fly out) with focus on cleaning, housekeeping, kitchen assistance. Did you try contacting catering companies that work with mining companies directly? Or did you use recruiters? In the end how did you end up?

Yes i have heard of one backpacker who got hired with Hays recruitment in Perth as a FIFO, 2/1 rotation, worked 5 weeks, worked 70hour/week in the kitchen, washing pots, he made $1100/week, had no expenses, as everything was included. When i did the calculation 1100 divided by 70, it's barely $16/hour, hardly a good wage, but since one doesn't have any expenses, i guess it's OK. But he only lasted 5 weeks, i don't know why, maybe his visa ran out of time, he didn't complain about the job, perhaps the shift wasn't a good one, he worked 2am-1pm, (1 hour for break). The rest of the day he slept (all afternoon, in early evening), and he spent the night in recreation, or his room.

Yes i have heard of one backpacker who got hired with Hays recruitment in Perth as a FIFO, 2/1 rotation, worked 5 weeks, worked 70hour/week in the kitchen, washing pots, he made $1100/week, had no expenses, as everything was included. When i did the calculation 1100 divided by 70, it's barely $16/hour, hardly a good wage, but since one doesn't have any expenses, i guess it's OK. But he only lasted 5 weeks, i don't know why, maybe his visa ran out of time, he didn't complain about the job, perhaps the shift wasn't a good one, he worked 2am-1pm, (1 hour for break). The rest of the day he slept (all afternoon, in early evening), and he spent the night in recreation, or his room.

You're taxed higher in temp visas ie whv visa

Your taxed higher only if you check non-resident on the form, some WHV are eligible for the normal tax bracket.

Digitalis, i agree it's not the the best wage, but since he said he got lucky by getting that job, i don't think backpackers can expect much better in the mines. Do you know of any WHV who got a better, unskilled mine job?

Archived