Australian expressions

lamada

In their defence (something I seldom do tbh) isn't there is difference in pronunciation of their metric 'tonne' to our imperial 'ton'...? I may be wrong..

Yes he mentioned that but it was when the tonnage got to a certain amount sohe claims, but they use the word everytime, anyway past caring

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently its because in the early days the cotton linens etc were shipped from the cotton mills of Manchester. Now i am not saying that ladies ( i use that term loosely) here have large bottoms but when an order for ladies cotton knickers was cancelled a cotton mill in Manchester closed down.

I had wondered that about Manchester, but I did think that would be too harder a question to ask an Aussie:), so glad I asked and you knew.

Thats funny about the mill closing, they maybe could of turned all the material into parachutes or something:)

The names they call their children are shocking, I nearly burst out laughing sometimes when I was told the names of people's children, here's a few of my favourites....oh and apologies in advance if I offend ananyone

boys names

Steele

donald and his brother diesel

clayton

dallas

hudson

chanel

neo

girls names

bonnie-lee

arwen

jape

mackenna

jodanna

lola skye

and not forgetting the millions of Kylie's I've come across

Theres some crackers there:)

Here they seem to add lene, on the end of everything,

so we have ;

Gaylene

Raylene,

Suelene

Christene

Oh and before I forget, theres a girl who works at McDonalds, and I nearly wet myself when I saw her name badge,,,It was Brondog !!!!! That must of been a mistake surely????

We also have a lot of;

Clints and

Marvs

Theres some crackers there:)

Here they seem to add lene, on the end of everything,

so we have ;

Gaylene

Raylene,

Suelene

Christene

Oh and before I forget, theres a girl who works at McDonalds, and I nearly wet myself when I saw her name badge,,,It was Brondog !!!!! That must of been a mistake surely????

We also have a lot of;

Clints and

Marvs

I think that's possibly a nickname. In my office a lot of the twenty-somethings attach the word 'dog' when greeting a work-mate. Hence "Hey Em-Dog (i.e., Emma) how you travelling?"

At least, I hope it's a nickname! :wideeyed:

And even if they do choose a sort of normal name, they they make the spelling really weird, my son has a friend called Riley (how I would spell it) but spelt Rhyley - why????

But I heard what must be the worst australian abbreviation today, and felt I must share with you all...............

'Chrissie' an abbreviation of CHRISTMAS - and this was on the radio!!!!!! Help me god and get me out of this bloody place!!!

I used to work in a mediation centre for separated parents where they could sort out arrangements for their children. I had this guy who came in one time for an interview who's little girl was called Phoebe. All perfectly fine, except for when I started to complete his Intake Form and began to spell it P...h...o

He looked at me like I was an alien and said "no!....F...e...e...b...e...e!"

He had it tattooed on his arm in Roman style lettering too!

Still, it made a change from 'Barlee,' 'Kupah' (think 'Cooper' not 'cuppa') and my personal favourite Jessee Jaymes.

That's the Gold Coast for ya.

The names they call their children are shocking, I nearly burst out laughing sometimes when I was told the names of people's children, here's a few of my favourites....oh and apologies in advance if I offend ananyone

boys names

Steele

clayton

dallas

hudson

chanel

neo

girls names

bonnie-lee

arwen

jape

mackenna

jodanna

lola skye

Yikes there must be some Aussie in me - my son was almost a Neo and Skye was on the short-list had he been a girl (surely that's a Scottish name??)

I used to work in a mediation centre for separated parents where they could sort out arrangements for their children. I had this guy who came in one time for an interview who's little girl was called Phoebe. All perfectly fine, except for when I started to complete his Intake Form and began to spell it P...h...o

He looked at me like I was an alien and said "no!....F...e...e...b...e...e!"

He had it tattooed on his arm in Roman style lettering too!

Still, it made a change from 'Barlee,' 'Kupah' (think 'Cooper' not 'cuppa') and my personal favourite Jessee Jaymes.

That's the Gold Coast for ya.

Off topic since this was in London but I was in a tattooist and this guy came in with fake ID to get a tattoo - it would have been okay if he hadn't asked for his real date of birth...

But then again I could do a whole thread on London expressions too :)

Yikes there must be some Aussie in me - my son was almost a Neo and Skye was on the short-list had he been a girl (surely that's a Scottish name??)

I did apologise for any offence in advance....yes Skye is Ok but Lola Skye.....what a mouthful when you shout herein for her dinner!

I think that's possibly a nickname. In my office a lot of the twenty-somethings attach the word 'dog' when greeting a work-mate. Hence "Hey Em-Dog (i.e., Emma) how you travelling?"

At least, I hope it's a nickname! :wideeyed:

I do hope so:) Why you would want someone to add "dog ' to your name, I will never know;)

boys names

Steele

clayton

dallas

hudson

chanel

neo

girls names

bonnie-lee

arwen

jape

mackenna

jodanna

lola skye

LOL!!! aren't Donald and Diesel trains in Thomas the Tank Engine?! I actually worked with a female Dallas in my job here. I thi k the strangest boys names I've come across from my son's kinder are Phoenix and Dragon (not the Serbian Dragan which he also has at Kinder!).