Australian expressions

lamada

Just a bit of lightheartedness - what are the Australian expressions/pronunciations that drive you mad? I would say top 3 but feel free to list as many as you like!

Here are mine:-

Maroan - WTF?? It's maroon!!

Adding an 'O' on the end of words, arvo, Salvos, ambos, rego, servo, reno ... need I say more??

"Going to the siddy senna to get twenny boddles of warder" - am sure noone needs me to translate!

Come on, on this wonderful Australia Day let's all have a bit of a chuckle!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a bit of lightheartedness - what are the Australian expressions/pronunciations that drive you mad? I would say top 3 but feel free to list as many as you like!

Here are mine:-

Maroan - WTF?? It's maroon!!

Adding an 'O' on the end of words, arvo, Salvos, ambos, rego, servo, reno ... need I say more??

"Going to the siddy senna to get twenny boddles of warder" - am sure noone needs me to translate!

Come on, on this wonderful Australia Day let's all have a bit of a chuckle!

In bold are my pet hates, and I grew up in Liverpool where there are lots of similar bastardisations of the English language. I mean, newsreaders using terms like 'Ambo's,' 'Pollies' and 'Fire-eys?, really?. Speak properly. How hard can it be Stevo, Thommo, Davo etc?. This is just laziness.

Using the words 'awesome' or 'legend' totally inappropriately. Seeing your child come into this world is awesome, someone making the photocopier work is a bit less special. Similarly, Pele, Salvador Dali and Tommy Cooper are legends, your mate Stevo/Thommo/Davo buying you a footlong sub kinda pales into insignificance by comparison.

In bold are my pet hates, and I grew up in Liverpool where there are lots of similar bastardisations of the English language. I mean, newsreaders using terms like 'Ambo's,' 'Pollies' and 'Fire-eys?, really?. Speak properly. How hard can it be Stevo, Thommo, Davo etc?. This is just laziness.

Using the words 'awesome' or 'legend' totally inappropriately. Seeing your child come into this world is awesome, someone making the photocopier work is a bit less special. Similarly, Pele, Salvador Dali and Tommy Cooper are legends, your mate Stevo/Thommo/Davo buying you a footlong sub kinda pales into insignificance by comparison.

:biglaugh:

Also, getting a happy meal from Maccas........... awesome maaaaaaaaate (and they're all nodding in agreement) :cute:

Edited by landv

* she'll be roight mate (you can be lying there with 4 broken limbs and a cracked skull)

* Straya (they can even pronounce their own countries name)

* and the annoyance that strangers I introduce myself to, will take my first name, shorten it, add an "O" on the end and assume its okay.

A book is a bok.

Moore, Muir and More are all pronounced more.

Kettle is a jug.

You might upset a few English people with that one LOL!

I have come to hate everything being AWESOME (though I use it - eek!). everyone being SO BLESSED (though I saw it on an English friend FB post so maybe it's spreading!)

Petty but also Yo - ghurt and Parsta

Have to share though Julz, on my son's first day at primary school in Scotland his teacher told me to but his piece in his drawer...I had no idea what she was talking about...piece of what! I can cope with 'morning tea' and think I might find that hard to drop even though it was always morning coffee where I come from!

I do rather like regional language and Australia is entitled to have their own but I hate the way it's used even on the news - I was so shocked at first, hearing about the toolies at schoolies week and the firey's and ambo's. Not forgrtting 'home invasions' and someone getting bashed! No wonder kids grown up talking like that!

One of my favourite sayings though is mad as a cut snake!

Oh god and yes the Morning Tea and Afternoon Tea!!!!!!!!!! Never heard the likes of such things before!

Afternoon tea is ENGLISH! Very English - served at the Ritz and the likes! Cucumber sandwiches, cakes and lashings of tea!

* she'll be roight mate (you can be lying there with 4 broken limbs and a cracked skull)

* Straya (they can even pronounce their own countries name)

* and the annoyance that strangers I introduce myself to, will take my first name, shorten it, add an "O" on the end and assume its okay.

I did have to laugh, rushing for the train the other day I suddenly realised I'd left my bike helmet in the office and let out a profanity, I realised a bloke was looking at me and I apologised and said I've forgot my bike helmet - his response 'She'll be roight, you're doing well' - what??? It made me realise how different Aussies are, in the UK ther esponse would have been 'oh dear, never mind' or 'having a bad day?' or something else that would have recognised this wasn't my happiest moment! I guess that's what they mean by laid back! But then again in the UK I would have had a choice about wearing the helmet in the first place - Australia laid back? I don't think so!